Reloading the .22LR

This is a discussion on Reloading the .22LR within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I did a search and went through a couple pages here and checked my my Lyman book, but didn't see anything on it. Can some ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree15Likes

Thread: Reloading the .22LR

Reloading the .22LR

I did a search and went through a couple pages here and checked my my Lyman book, but didn't see anything on it. Can some of the expert reloader's here tell me why can't the .22LR be reloaded, or can it. I'm sure it has to do with the rim fire case, but surly there's a way to do it, right?

thanks,
    "He that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." Luke 22:36

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

2. Remove Ads

Nope. No way.
    I think, therefore I am armed.

VIP Member
    Actually it can be done but with the amount of work it would require, you'd never want to shoot them. Here's a video of one guy getting the priming system somewhat figured out.

The bottom line is it's way too sketchy and labor intensive a process for it to be worth messing with. Maybe if we were in a post-apocalyptic world and there was no manufacturing taking place, it might be worth doing. Beyond that sort of scenario, it's probably safer and easier to just do the .22 hunt and grab it where you can!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

I should have clarified in my post that, I'm not speaking about once fired brass, only the new brass. Thanks!

"If a law is unjust, a man is not only right to disobey it, he is obligated to do so." Thomas Jefferson

Quote Originally Posted by gottabkiddin View Post
    ...Can some of the expert reloader's here tell me why can't the .22LR be reloaded, or can it. I'm sure it has to do with the rim fire case, but surly there's a way to do it, right?
    It' can't be and yes because of the rim fire..
    later you say with NEW BRASS.. but that would not be "Reloading" or?
    US Army Retired (2002)
    PAFOA.com, NAGR, USCCA, and NRA Life member

"Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity"
    unknown
    "Dare in Brocca" - Beretta

Quote Originally Posted by Parrisk View Post
    It' can't be and yes because of the rim fire..
    later you say with NEW BRASS.. but that would not be "Reloading" or?
    Thank you for pointing out my oversight.. I hope I can return the favor someday.

I recall old techniques (somewhere) making rimfire reloading possible, but far-less than practical. So, IMHO, yes you can. Yet, no you won't.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    There are only TWO kinds of people in this world; those who describe the world as filled with two kinds of people...and those who don't.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    New or used, it can be done. Priming is the issue. When the end comes and you're down to your last round it may be worth it. Until then... But there's always that "Hey, look at this!" factor.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

VIP Member
    Maybe it's time to invent a center fire round that's within the bounds of 22lr. Something not as powerful as .22 caliber center fire like 22-250, 223, 222. Maybe something is already out there I don't know abt. Maybe download .22 center fire rounds made now to 22lr ballistics? Myself if I was concerned I might just shoot 223 or available 9mm, 40sw, 45acp in a rifle made that way. Just reload that...
    "No free man shall ever be debarred the use of arms."*
    -Thomas Jefferson
    "The Constitution shall never be construed ... to prevent the people of the United States who are peaceable citizens from keeping their own arms."**
    -Samuel Adams

The .25 ACP is already pretty close to .22 LR ballistics, out least out to 10 yards of so.

Back to the OP: where would you find new, unfired .22 brass to load?
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    The closest thing to that would be the five-seven, a 22 LR on steroids. However, reloading the five-seven is very finicky, and not for beginning reloaders.

Standard 22 LR is not worth the time and trouble to reload. Besides, you would have trouble finding a powder dispenser that could throw such a small powder charge accurately.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard58 View Post
    Maybe it's time to invent a center fire round that's within the bounds of 22lr. Something not as powerful as .22 caliber center fire like 22-250, 223, 222. Maybe something is already out there I don't know abt. Maybe download .22 center fire rounds made now to 22lr ballistics? Myself if I was concerned I might just shoot 223 or available 9mm, 40sw, 45acp in a rifle made that way. Just reload that...

First, where would you buy the components? What kind of sizing dies would you use? I don't think I've ever seen any of that stuff for sale. Assuming you could purchase it, what would be the advantage? The cases wouldn't be reusable because of the permanent dent made by the firing pin, unless you were lucky enough to strike a clean spot every time.

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    The .25 ACP is already pretty close to .22 LR ballistics, out least out to 10 yards of so.

Back to the OP: where would you find new, unfired .22 brass to load?
    haven't a clue, heck, I'm still trying to find fricking powder and brass for .9mm and .45ACP. Found some .38 special brass but that's it. being totally new to 'LOADING' and or ahum "reloading" also nowing that .22lr is probably THE most popular caliber out there. I was thinking if we can put a man on the moon, surely someone can come up with a way to "load" or "reload" the darn thing that's all.
    Last edited by gottabkiddin; March 18th, 2014 at 01:23 PM.

I had an older friend who told of reloading 22s during the WWII years to keep meat on his family's table. All cases were reused in the arms they were first fired from so sizing was not as critical, and all were locked breech. Priming was done with paste pushed into the open areas of the rim using toothpicks, and projectiles were fashioned from scrap metals. Cases had to be indexed to the firing pin and could be loaded only a few times as he had no way to open the struck portion of the rim. Accuracy was inconsistent and poor and required stalking up close to that squirrel or rabbit if you wanted to eat.
    Hardly worth doing if other sources were available.
    OP: It can be done if you have no other options.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

dies don't exist, new brass doesn't exist, priming compounds made at home would be sketchy at best, there's really no reason to even think about it.....
    you would be better off making bows and arrows

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links