Finally decided on my first setup.

This is a discussion on Finally decided on my first setup. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok some of you probably all of you old hand at rolling your own are gonna roll your eyes and giggle but heres what im ...

Like Tree21Likes
  • 3 Post By Ghost1958
  • 4 Post By gasmitty
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 2 Post By coffeecup
  • 2 Post By gasmitty
  • 2 Post By flintlock62
  • 2 Post By dangerranger
  • 2 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By Ghost1958
  • 1 Post By flintlock62

Thread: Finally decided on my first setup.

Finally decided on my first setup.

Ok some of you probably all of you old hand at rolling your own are gonna roll your eyes and giggle but heres what im going to start off.

Lucked into finding some actual Hodgen H10 I believe it is. Ive got it written down and 9mm and 40 are listed for it as uses. And its local so no hazmat shipping etc.

I have a little Lee classic C plain jane single stage a guy gave me a while back.

I had thought to go with a breech lock or turrett but since I have this little press, and a bunch of saved 9mm brass im just going to get the three die Lee carbide die set in 9mm, a hand primer, scale, and small tumbler.

Ill get some 115 fmj bullets, and primers, got access to several manuals though they arent mine and start with that.

I figure ill be slow turning out rounds to start anyway, might get a powder charger or just go with hand measuring the powder for a while so I know every round is right and as close to the others as the scale lets me be.

If I can turn off 100 rounds a week that will keep the wife out of her factory ammo stash of 9mm plus a little to add to it. Im having no problem getting factory 40 cal at good prices at wally world right now so not worried about it right now and I have quite a bit put back of it also

Wont break the bank, figure Ill learn more this way than moving faster with a bigger press about working up loads and later Ill get a turret probably once Ive got it figured out and add loading 40 sw .

Yeah its not the greatest whizbang setup but for starters itll do I hope.
    gatorbait51, darbo and 2tall79 like this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

2. Remove Ads

Lots of reloaders have started with less. Pay attention to charge weight and bullet seating depth.

But - I question the powder you have or or going to get If it's actually H110, that's a slower-burning powder more suited for the likes of .44 magnum, and not well-suited at all for 9mm. Please check reliable loading manuals for a good recipe before you buy or load this stuff.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    Lots of reloaders have started with less. Pay attention to charge weight and bullet seating depth.

But - I question the powder you have or or going to get If it's actually H110, that's a slower-burning powder more suited for the likes of .44 magnum, and not well-suited at all for 9mm. Please check reliable loading manuals for a good recipe before you buy or load this stuff.
    Will do. Im coming off memory at 3 in the am with that number so I could be posting the wrong one here since we looked at several, but I do have the right one written down. When I looked and saw a truck coming in with it to a local shop it was listed for loading 9mm 40 45 etc. But as I say I might be giving the wrong number but dont want to wake the wife up to go look what I have written down.

But I will surely double check before I buy it. Have a old hand at reloading go with me and the guys at the shop Im going too all reload as well.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    " It is sad governments are chief'ed by the double tongues." quote Ten Bears Movie Outlaw Josie Wales

Im sorry its HS-6 powder not 110
    gatorbait51 likes this.

HS-6 will work OK in the 9mm. Might be a little slow burning for the 115gr bullets,but it WILL work.
    gatorbait51 and Ghost1958 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghost1958 View Post
    Good! Much better place to start.
    Ghost1958 and gatorbait51 like this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    HS-6 is a darn good powder. It's one of my favorites. Not to knock you on the 115 gr bullets, but I think 125 gr in 9mm is more accurate. No giggling here, there's nothing wrong with a Lee Classic C. As for hand charging, are you referring to dippers? If you are using dippers, you'll need a trickler.

Last edited by flintlock62; March 21st, 2014 at 11:02 PM.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    The lee press is a good start. I'm still using mine after 30+ years with no problems. I have other presses but the lee still turns them out with no problems. The only thing Id change from what Lee sends you is that I buy true lock rings for my dies. That is two nuts that are locked together when you are satisfied that your dies are at the correct setting. that works to hold your settings just like the breech lock system that they sell now. The thing to remember about Lee is that they are not as refined in the adjustments as some others but once you are adjusted correctly they load just fine.
    I would get a powder measure, I cant imagine weighing 100 9mm charges each week. Again Lees powder measure works, but others are much easier to adjust. 9mm and 40 cal are not so sensitive that a simple dipper measure wouldn't work to make range ammo. using your scale you could make one from a smaller case [ say 32 cal] solder a wire handle on it and trim it down to give you the correct charge. use that for middle of the road range ammo tho not for high end ammo.
    I also wouldn't bother with a tumbler, I use a 3 lb coffee can with it about half full of deprimed cases, add the juice from one lemon, and 1 teaspoon of dawn dishwashing soap. fill the can with Hot water, and shake for about 1 min. rinse, dry and load! your brass will be clean and bright but not polished. Good Luck, DR

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    HS-6 is a darn good powder. It's one of my favorites. Not to knock you on the 155 gr bullets, but I think 125 gr in 9mm is more accurate. No giggling here, there's nothing wrong with a Lee Classic C. As for hand charging, are you referring to dippers? If you are using dippers, you'll need a trickler.
    I was kinda yeah. But after checking the price on a bench mount perfect powder measure at 14 bucks ill probably go with that and just check the charge weights about every 5 rounds to make sure everything is holding steady.
    flintlock62 and gatorbait51 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    The lee press is a good start. I'm still using mine after 30+ years with no problems. I have other presses but the lee still turns them out with no problems. The only thing Id change from what Lee sends you is that I buy true lock rings for my dies. That is two nuts that are locked together when you are satisfied that your dies are at the correct setting. that works to hold your settings just like the breech lock system that they sell now. The thing to remember about Lee is that they are not as refined in the adjustments as some others but once you are adjusted correctly they load just fine.
    I would get a powder measure, I cant imagine weighing 100 9mm charges each week. Again Lees powder measure works, but others are much easier to adjust. 9mm and 40 cal are not so sensitive that a simple dipper measure wouldn't work to make range ammo. using your scale you could make one from a smaller case [ say 32 cal] solder a wire handle on it and trim it down to give you the correct charge. use that for middle of the road range ammo tho not for high end ammo.
    I also wouldn't bother with a tumbler, I use a 3 lb coffee can with it about half full of deprimed cases, add the juice from one lemon, and 1 teaspoon of dawn dishwashing soap. fill the can with Hot water, and shake for about 1 min. rinse, dry and load! your brass will be clean and bright but not polished. Good Luck, DR
    Never heard of that one. Ill give it whirl. A buddy of mine has a huge tumbler setup and I could just run my brass there or him pick it up when he comes over which is usually twice a week now and have him tumble it for me. He likes to keep busy and doesnt have a lot to do so he really wants me to do that.

Still though Id like to be able to do it myself at some point and what you just told me Id never heard of. Thanks much.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

I never used the Perfect Powder measure, but many people like it. The one and only double charge I had came from using dippers. I was loading Unique in a 44 mag. I fired it through a Ruger Redhawk. Anything else, and I might not be posting this with both hands. Rule #1 in reloading is paying total attention to what you are doing.

I was kinda yeah. But after checking the price on a bench mount perfect powder measure at 14 bucks ill probably go with that and just check the charge weights about every 5 rounds to make sure everything is holding steady.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    I never used the Perfect Powder measure, but many people like it. The one and only double charge I had came from using dippers. I was loading Unique in a 44 mag. I fired it through a Ruger Redhawk. Anything else, and I might not be posting this with both hands. Rule #1 in reloading is paying total attention to what you are doing.
    I am only going to load training ammo no hot max load stuff. Just something close to factory target ammo. I dont mind buying my SD ammo factory.

I have a couple of friends that do load their own SD ammo, very hot. Wont carry anything else. I doubt I would try loading even standard SD ammo for a very long time until I knew I was dead sure of the process. And probably not then unless I simply couldnt find factory SD ammo.

You will most definitely find reduced loads to be more accurate. I know several people afflicted with magnumitis. The trouble is, those loads are very inaccurate. I would rather have something I know will hit the target every time, even if I lose 150 fps. If you are leaning toward training ammo, look at Berry's bullets.

I am only going to load training ammo no hot max load stuff. Just something close to factory target ammo. I dont mind buying my SD ammo factory.

I have a couple of friends that do load their own SD ammo, very hot. Wont carry anything else. I doubt I would try loading even standard SD ammo for a very long time until I knew I was dead sure of the process. And probably not then unless I simply couldnt find factory SD ammo.
    Ghost1958 likes this.

Links