Price check

Price check

This is a discussion on Price check within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Tight Group powder in the 4lb jug is $56 locally. Is that a good, bad or standard price?...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree17Likes

Thread: Price check

VIP Member

Price check

Tight Group powder in the 4lb jug is $56 locally. Is that a good, bad or standard price?
    CLASS3NH likes this.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

I think I paid $12.00 for 1 lbs.
    So maybe a little high.
    Check Powder Valley and see what there price is.

PSE EVO 60 Lbs.
    Blacked out

Quote Originally Posted by atctimmy View Post
    Tight Group powder in the 4lb jug is $56 locally. Is that a good, bad or standard price?
    FINDING TiteGroup is next to impossible, paying less than $15/lb is bordering on the things fantasies are based on.

BUY SOME!

Terry
    flintlock62 likes this.

VIP Member
    That's a fine price. Buy it!
    atctimmy and Aceoky like this.
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Exsimguy1 View Post
    FINDING TiteGroup is next to impossible, paying less than $15/lb is bordering on the things fantasies are based on.

BUY SOME!

Terry
    I'll go back and get more then. : )

Thanks guys.
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

VIP Member
    NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    what ???? ummm buy it!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Lead Moderator
    $18 or more here for a lb of tite group.
    Aceoky likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    $18 or more here for a lb of tite group.
    In Feb 2010 I paid $19 for a single pound of 12G powder at a semi famous gyppo LGS. I would buy 1-2 myself if it were me.
    I'm just a spoke in the wheel but not a big deal.
    America...a Constitutional Republic. NOT a democracy as the liberals would have us believe.
    Give me Liberty or give me BACON!!!
    You know that look women give you when they want some sugar? Me neither

VIP Member
    OK, what is a good price for 1000 small pistol primers?

Back before the Great Drought, I got TiteGroup for about $17 a pound at a local Sportsman's Warehouse. Haven't seen any there for 15 months.

I get my primers in bulk at the big Phoenix gun shows; Winchester run about $28/1000, a little cheaper if you get the 5000 case.
    Aceoky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

They got more than one? Would you ship it?
    Cape Locum Et Fac Vestigium

The drought is nowhere near over. I have a good stock of most of what I need but.......
    If I really needed either primers or powder, my personal threshold would go to $30-35 per pound of powder, or thousand primers. Some may laugh at that, but considering availability (and I don't see it getting better yet), powder or primers of the desired flavor in hand, beats the hell out of none. Most of my stock didn't approach half that price.

As I said, I have enough, but TiteGroup in particular, has not shown up anywhere for a long time. I use it in most of my pistol rounds, and have had to supplement with 231 or Zip, which work fine also. I don't want to run completely out of anything I use.

When what you want, shows up, you need to decide (usually right then) if you can do without it or not, you may (probably) won't get another chance anytime soon.

Terry
    atctimmy likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MoMike View Post
    They got more than one? Would you ship it?
    I suppose I could do that. I'll see what they have when I go back next week. Hazmat fees are gonna kill you though.

The drought is nowhere near over. I have a good stock of most of what I need but.......
    If I really needed either primers or powder, my personal threshold would go to $30-35 per pound of powder, or thousand primers. Some may laugh at that, but considering availability (and I don't see it getting better yet), powder or primers of the desired flavor in hand, beats the hell out of none. Most of my stock didn't approach half that price.

As I said, I have enough, but TiteGroup in particular, has not shown up anywhere for a long time. I use it in most of my pistol rounds, and have had to supplement with 231 or Zip, which work fine also. I don't want to run completely out of anything I use.

When what you want, shows up, you need to decide (usually right then) if you can do without it or not, you may (probably) won't get another chance anytime soon.

Terry
    It's funny, I've been reloading for all my rifles for better than ten years but I only had a single stage press. It was just too time consuming to mess with pistol rounds. Now that i have a progressive press I'm trying to go slowly and not dump a TON of money into building up my stash.

It just seems to me though that everything is hard to come by these days and when you find it you should buy a bunch of it. Too bad my bank account can't afford that type of thing every day.

I already spent a ton of money this year with a hunting trip to MO and getting my progressive press and set up. I've also got a ton of spring farm projects looming so I'm trying to not spend too much and just get what I need right now.

I was thinking about this thread this morning, and my 'pinch point' for the price of powder. Even with the increased cost of components, I'm still loading .45 ACP for 15.1 cents a round; bullets remain the costliest component. Not that I'd like it to happen, but I could pay $35 per pound of powder and only increase my cost per round by a half a penny.
    Exsimguy1 likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member
    Georgia..South of the mountains, north of the sand flies.
    Us old folks feel the "sticker shock" more than the younger crowd. My first primers were $0.75 per 100, cast-sized bullets were $1.00 per hundred and powder was $3.00 to $4.00 per lb.

About 7 years ago, I switched from Winchester powders to Hodgdon powders for my skeet shooting. I purchased 2, 8 lb caddies each of Clays, International Clays and Universal clays. Believe it or not, it is less expensive to buy 12 & 20 Gauge target loads than it is to reload. Now, I have a quite a few of those 8lb caddies around. Although Clays and Universal clays are not very "popular" for handgun reloading, I have discovered that they do very well in 9mm, .45ACP and .40 S&W.

Of course a lb of "bullseye" still goes a long way in .38 specials 148 gr LSWC, at 2.7gs per load.

I don't know the shelf life of powder. But it seems to me that if it stays sealed it should last a lifetime.
    msgt/ret and 5lima30ret like this.
    A wise man once said: "Bugout bag?..What's that? Is that all the junk you sidewalk commandos plan on humping when the SHTF...I'll grab a Nylon 66, a box of 22s and a poncho liner and in less than a week I will have all of your stuff and everything else that I need for the duration."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links