New caliber created ?

This is a discussion on New caliber created ? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Was loading 40 Smith &Wesson cartridges on my dillon 550b last night. Came up with a new designation , I call it the 10-9 . ...

Like Tree9Likes
  • 5 Post By PEF
  • 2 Post By oneshot
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By rocky

Thread: New caliber created ?

Lead Moderator

New caliber created ?

Was loading 40 Smith &Wesson cartridges on my dillon 550b last night. Came up with a new designation , I call it the 10-9 . 10mm bullet on a 9 mm casing.
    Just kidding , I ran a 9mm casing through the resizing die, primed it and got to the bullet stage when I noticed the powder appeared too full in the case. As soon as I removed the casing I figured out I had a 9mm I missed sorting out.
    I removed the new primer and placed a bullet in it just for the heck of it. It did test chamber in a .40 cal pistol , but I'm sure with disastrous results if It did ignite. This is the first time I have had mixed brass make it into the press.
    http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...ADC5F5C3DB.jpg

http://i1255.photobucket.com/albums/...0786BE404E.jpg

seriously, do not try to make or fire this type of load
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

2. Remove Ads

I think the "blow-by" on your new creation just might singe your eyebrows.
    "If you make something idiot proof, someone will make a better idiot."

- Anon

VIP Member
    Kinda like a SiG .357...from an "opposite" universe....was "Evil Spock" running the press?

BamaT, msgt/ret, rocky and 2 others like this.
    -PEF, a Framer with a Steelie...
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    1. All guns are always loaded.
    2. Never let the muzzle cover anything you are not willing to destroy.
    3. Keep your finger off the trigger until your sights are on the target.
    4. Be sure of your target and what is beyond it.

That's hilarious lol. For a second I thought you were serious. "40 cal in a 9mm case?? Why??"

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Senior Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    Just goes to show you how much elasticity brass really has!
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

VIP Member
    OK, I detect a little cabin fever. Take/drink two bottles of your favorite libations, and call me in the morning.

Holy crap, was that from a couple weeks ago, or do you guys have that much snow still up there?

It looked like that here in St. Clair co. 2.5- 3 weeks ago but now nothing but grass. Brown crappy looking grass. But it looks a lot better than snow.
    DetChris and rocky like this.
    If you want to make God laugh, tell him your plans.

Washington didn't use his freedom of speech to defeat the British, He shot them!

Politics is the art of looking for trouble, finding it whether it exists or not, diagnosing it incorrectly, and applying the wrong remedy." -- Ernest Benn

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    I've necked cases up and down, but never out! Well, you know what PT Barnum says. Someone out there will be willing to invest in it.
    rocky likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Get a Hi-point clamp it down and rig a string to the trigger then see what happens.BTW wouldn't happen in my 550,the case feeder wouldn't let the wrong size brass freed into the shell plate
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by oneshot View Post
    OK, I detect a little cabin fever. Take/drink two bottles of your favorite libations, and call me in the morning.

Holy crap, was that from a couple weeks ago, or do you guys have that much snow still up there?

It looked like that here in St. Clair co. 2.5- 3 weeks ago but now nothing but grass. Brown crappy looking grass. But it looks a lot better than snow.
    At least a few feet in my yard still. It is melting though. We have only seen a high of about 42 so far.
    oneshot likes this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Links