Work up load testing

Work up load testing

This is a discussion on Work up load testing within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I got out today and shot 20 rounds of 55 grain 223. I worked up from low to medium powder charge to see what should ...

Like Tree3Likes
  • 2 Post By rocky
  • 1 Post By gasmitty

Thread: Work up load testing

Lead Moderator

Work up load testing

I got out today and shot 20 rounds of 55 grain 223. I worked up from low to medium powder charge to see what should work for a basic target/ training load. Using h335 powder it seems 24.5 grains works well and isn't going to beat up the brass. No issues and great to be out in the sun.
    Attached Images
    atctimmy and bmcgilvray like this.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Finally got some sun, huh? Nice way to celebrate Spring!

As of last week I've got a couple thousand 55 gr 223 bullets to go along with my pile of used brass and untouched case of SR primers. Now if I could just find some powder!
    rocky likes this.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member

Lead Moderator
    Took me about a month to find powder locally, luckily I did. I scored some pulled 55 grain bullets for short range work, they seem to work well enough.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

VIP Member
    I got out and did some shooting too. I feel like I'm coming out of hibernation after this long cold winter.

I am going to work up some .223 loads this week as well.

How much H335 did you find? Were you able to stock up or is the supply short term?
    It is surely true that you can lead a horse to water but you can't make them drink. Nor can you make them grateful for your efforts.

Just for us reloaders I have two 1lb bottles of 335 still sealed. I do not reload rifle anymore any body around ft myers needs it let me know

Good on ya', Rocky.

I too am fine with 55 grain bullets in my AR 15. It has a 1-12 twist and eats 'em like candy.

Sounds like quite a good load. It's nice to have stable full of moderate loads worked up for general purpose use.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

while .22lr is hard to find, it can be done (at 8-10c per round) if you are persistant and know how and where to look. While that seems "exhorbitant" to many people, it's a lot cheaper than 223 ammo. Ciener's .22lr conversion unit for the AR-15 is $200, with the 30 rd mag. For snapshooting practice to 75m, it works just fine, and it's accurate enough for small game taking, too. I've owned half a dozen over the years, seen as many more in the hands of friends. All seem to group 2" at 50 yds or better.

Quote Originally Posted by quix View Post
    while .22lr is hard to find, it can be done (at 8-10c per round) if you are persistant and know how and where to look. While that seems "exhorbitant" to many people, it's a lot cheaper than 223 ammo. Ciener's .22lr conversion unit for the AR-15 is $200, with the 30 rd mag. For snapshooting practice to 75m, it works just fine, and it's accurate enough for small game taking, too. I've owned half a dozen over the years, seen as many more in the hands of friends. All seem to group 2" at 50 yds or better.
    The heck with rimfire ammo if you have a 223. Just use Unique powder and a 45-55 weight bullet and you can load them from 22 long rifle to 22 mag velocities. Just use the lead bullet data. Very accurate and great for squirrels or whatever.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Try a few 50gr SX bullets in front of a charge of Unique. About as cheap a plinking/small game round as can be found.

Glad it is working for you. I've been doing the same with AR-Comp.
    Chose a weapon that goes bang EVERY time!

Links