Hand loaded ammo for EDC

This is a discussion on Hand loaded ammo for EDC within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Who carries their own handloads and why? Any drawbacks to doing so? Thus far, I've only loaded range ammo (lead/plated/FMJ). Looking for reasons/rationale for loading ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
Like Tree91Likes

Thread: Hand loaded ammo for EDC

Hand loaded ammo for EDC

Who carries their own handloads and why? Any drawbacks to doing so?

Thus far, I've only loaded range ammo (lead/plated/FMJ). Looking for reasons/rationale for loading self defense ammo (JHP vs lead/plated/FMJ).
    My EDC: Springfield XDS
    My sometimes EDC: Colt XSE LW or G26

2. Remove Ads

Depends what I am going to carry. The only handgun that I carry handloads in is my 44 mag, I can tailor the rounds for what I want VS what is in the stores.
    My rifle and pistol are tools, I am the weapon.

Like loading my own so I can practice with carry ammo without breaking the bank

230 Gr XTP 6.5 gr Unique
    115 gr XTP 6 gr Unique

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    Like loading my own so I can practice with carry ammo without breaking the bank

230 Gr XTP 6.5 gr Unique
    115 gr XTP 6 gr Unique
    Do you worry any about a prosecutor trying to say you loaded hot rounds if you have to defend yourself? Just curious.

I've loaded a lot of my own hollow points just to see difference and like my loads better but was concerned about lawyers. I shoot my carry ammo when I buy new and some of the new picked out of the box. It does get very expensive.
    flintlock62 likes this.

Too old to worry about much anymore, just want to make sure they work an work well.
    Navydude, CWOUSCG and jem102 like this.

It's a concern that could become a problem, depending on the prosecutor and the events of the shooting. While it doesn't open you up to any liability on it's face, it *could* give the prosecutor some ammo if he decides to make it an issue--"And he sat in his basement for HOURS hand crafting the best possible bullet to kill a human being--the very ones he used to kill the victim..." etc.

It's more typical practice to use the ammo that the local PD does, or at least a good quality commercial ammo made for defensive purposes. I know how you feel--I carried my own handloads too, until I took Mas Ayoob's 'Judicious Use of Deadly Force' (Now MAG 20). He pointed out in graphic detail why it's better to carry commercial ammo, to include real life examples.
    "What does Marcellus Wallace LOOK like?"

Quote Originally Posted by HK Dan View Post
    It's a concern that could become a problem, depending on the prosecutor and the events of the shooting. While it doesn't open you up to any liability on it's face, it *could* give the prosecutor some ammo if he decides to make it an issue--"And he sat in his basement for HOURS hand crafting the best possible bullet to kill a human being--the very ones he used to kill the victim..." etc.

It's more typical practice to use the ammo that the local PD does, or at least a good quality commercial ammo made for defensive purposes. I know how you feel--I carried my own handloads too, until I took Mas Ayoob's 'Judicious Use of Deadly Force' (Now MAG 20). He pointed out in graphic detail why it's better to carry commercial ammo, to include real life examples.

This .. I would never carry reload commerical or home made ... Just to be more one more thing that can go wrong .. Unless your shooting a unique caliber that is very hard to find ammmo for .. Or you need to hot load the round for hunting etc ( ie 10mm and 44 mag etc) I would just buy a box of whatever the local cops use ... I like HST or gold dots ... It should work and again in the small chance they want to get picky about the ammo just bring up the local cop and ask what they carry ...

Again I dont really see the advantge of handloading carry rounds if it is something like 9mm or 40cal ... Are you gaining that much punch etc ...

Think about it this way most ammo factory had some form of QC sure they may slip but what QC do you have ? You mis load one round or light load it ... Well no big deal at the range but when the bad guy is trying to filet your spleen it is ...
    "Vous ne les laisserez pas passer, mes camarades"
    I am not a lawyer .. Just a dog typing on the internet ..Spelling media apparatus male portatili. Malo me non reprehendo
    "We're surrounded. That simplifies our problem of getting to these people and killing them."Chesty Puller

For my duty weapon, I have to use the issued ammo.

For everything else I carry on my own time, I only use my handloads. I've been through enough trials and spoken with enough trial attorneys to know that any prosecutor who needs to resort to mentioning the type of bullet or it's origin is having a very bad day in court, and is grasping at straws.
    If, the use of deadly force was justified, it doesn't matter if it was a handload, a crow bar, or a ball bat.

And there certainly is a reason to handload over choosing factory. You can choose a better bullet profile designed for better penetration and down load the charge to give you better follow up speed but still get desired penetration, or go the opposite direction if using a mid caliber gun.
    Done properly at the bench the ratio of QC is 100%. You can put them together one at a time visually checking and verifying every detail of every round. Quite the contrast from factory, where they may Pull 1 for every 10,000 rounds and inspect for QC.

Then you have cost. I can buy a 100 round box of premium HP bullets for what the minuscule 20 round factory assembled box costs.
    The reasons why you should, greatly outnumber any reason you should not.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

Quote Originally Posted by Navydude View Post
    Do you worry any about a prosecutor trying to say you loaded hot rounds if you have to defend yourself? Just curious.

I've loaded a lot of my own hollow points just to see difference and like my loads better but was concerned about lawyers. I shoot my carry ammo when I buy new and some of the new picked out of the box. It does get very expensive.
    Your honor, with all due respect, it could have been a .22lr with the shot placement I had. He was doomed from the start.
    357and40 likes this.

Distinguished Member Array dangerranger's Avatar
    If my handloads are an issue that sank me I was in deep Dodo before that! I don't load exotic ammo or hot loads. But I do tailor my loads to each gun. Most of what I shoot is loaded with lead hard cast bullets. It would be hard to say " He crafted the most deadly bullet known to man" when Im shooting bullets in use since the 1870s. I shoot heavy lead bullets at low to moderate velocity. DR

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    If my handloads are an issue that sank me I was in deep Dodo before that! I don't load exotic ammo or hot loads. But I do tailor my loads to each gun. Most of what I shoot is loaded with lead hard cast bullets. It would be hard to say " He crafted the most deadly bullet known to man" when Im shooting bullets in use since the 1870s. I shoot heavy lead bullets at low to moderate velocity. DR
    Very good point. It's just as easy to say that LE gets their ammo for free, and you can't afford it, so you assemble your own due to cost issues.
    Or you could say LE ammo is too powerful for you to shoot well, so you down load yours
    Or........

It would be a desperate attempt with a very weak case to try and use this against you in court.

Plus, a good defense attorney could object this angle of attack as being irrelevant to the facts as presented supporting the evidence.
    Ignorance is a long way from stupid, but left unchecked, can get there real fast.

VIP Member
    S. Florida, north of the Miami mess, south of the Mouse trap
    Quote Originally Posted by WrongRecroom View Post
    Think about it this way most ammo factory had some form of QC sure they may slip but what QC do you have ? You mis load one round or light load it ... Well no big deal at the range but when the bad guy is trying to filet your spleen it is ...
    I don't think you know a lot about reloading. Ammo makers spot check a few here and there. That's one reason there are so many commercial ammo recalls. I inspect each and every round from start to finish. Since starting reloading in 1975, I've had two duds--both primers from the same pack of CCI primers, none since), no squibs, no double charges, no nothing. I think my QC is pretty effective. Any reloader who loads too little or too much is simply careless, and they'll learn a quick lesson the hard way. And I've had far more than two bad rounds--made commercially--in my days.

Maybe I missed it, but the case so often referred to as a reason to not carry reloads is Mas' case where the forensics were not repeatable. That's one case, and you can find one case of anything if one looks hard enough. A DA will try to use anything even that you used those deadly .22 LR hollow points instead of solids.
    Retired USAF E-8. Remember: You're being watched!
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

I use factory new ammo for carry in .380, 9mm, and 38sp.
    The .357mag and 45Colt will be loaded for whatever I am hunting on a given day. They both serve general purpose around the farm and are most often loaded with cast lead handloads.

Can't say as I have been too worried about the liability issue. If I am forced to defend myself, there are bigger worries than what ammo I used.
    Ghost1958 likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    There has never been a case in which a individual involved in a Self Defense shooting was conflicted only on the fact he carried reloaded ammunition. A prosecutor is going to try and twist everything. Look at the Zimmercase, he tried to argue that he had a round in the chamber and that gave Zimmerman the intent. He also tried to argue that the gun a Keltec DAO which is designed for self defense made Zimmerman thirsty for blood. A good attorney on your side will easy get around this. This whole thing don't carry reloaded ammunition came out because of "Mas Ayoob" did an article with HIS opinion. I don't agree with him on this at all. I think it was an an issue he wrote so that he could be the "authority" on a issue that wasn't even really an issue. Back in the 50's and 60's cops carried reloads all the time no issue at all.
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

I'm willing to carry handloads. It's only been in the past few years that I've been willing to carry factory loaded self-defense ammunition at all. The mostly internet-driven proscription on carrying handloaded ammunition is one "Chicken Little" - the sky is falling" issue that I'm simply not going to be concerned over.
    “No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links