Load Data - X-Treme 124 grn copper-plated bullets + Unique powder

This is a discussion on Load Data - X-Treme 124 grn copper-plated bullets + Unique powder within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I got lucky at Bass Pro over the weekend. Went in to pick up a few packs of primers and just happened to walk down ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree21Likes

Thread: Load Data - X-Treme 124 grn copper-plated bullets + Unique powder

Load Data - X-Treme 124 grn copper-plated bullets + Unique powder

I got lucky at Bass Pro over the weekend. Went in to pick up a few packs of primers and just happened to walk down the powder isle. I usually don't even look at Bass Pro for powder, they've never had any good pistol powder during previous visits. But this time I noticed (5) 1LB bottles of Unique sitting on the shelf, and since I'd been wanting to try Unique, I picked some up.

I also just order 500 X-Treme copper-plated 124 grain flat points (9mm). Fairly decent pricing @ $39.00 (total, shipping included) for a 500ct package.

So I was wondering if anyone here has tried that particular combo in the past (X-Treme 124grn FP 0.355" 9mm with Unique powder).

It looks like an acceptable OAL is 1.075" (from alot of research) and a good starting load would be 5.6-5.8 grains of Unique.

I also noticed that Unique is a little chunkier than the CFE and Power Pistol powder that I'm used to. Does anyone here also use the Lee Perfect Powder Measure (or similar) for volumetric metering? If so, does the Unique meter well?

Thanks guys,

Shannon

2. Remove Ads

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    I shoot a LOT of unique. Some folks think it is dirty and call it "flaming dirt". I love the stuff and clean my guns. Unique is a bit dirty in reduced loadings--keep the pressures up and you will be fine.

You will find that Unique truly is--UNIQUE ! One of the few powders that works well in all 3 --rifle,handgun,and shotgun. The stuff has been around for 100 years or so and Alliant keeps an original bit of it UNDERWATER. Every now and then they take some out,dry it and test fire. Still works just as well as new !!!!

I've not done a lot of chronograph testing of various loads in 9mm. Of the powders tested though, it's easier to build up a heavy, high-velocity "performance" 9mm handload using Unique than anything else I've tried. I suspect that any powders in the range of propellants that bracket Unique will perform similarly. Unique's clean burning when used with jacketed bullets and loaded up to higher pressure ranges.

People gripe about Unique flowing through powder measures. It doesn't flow like water or even ball powders but it simply isn't the nuisance that overly "picky-Eunice" types complain about. It flows acceptably in the RCBS Uniflow that's mounted on the bench here. I'm like coffeecup and have used Unique in large quantities since ... well before flaming dirt.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

LOL.

Wow, good history lesson there, I had no idea that people referred to it as "flaming dirt" or that it had been around so long and was kept underwater. That's pretty amazing.

My favorite powder, coffecup is right stay on the higher end will burn clean. Measures fine. Great timing UPS just dropped off 1000 .45 230 gr plated rn an 500 115 gr plated rn from extreme.
    herpjunkie likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Easy8 View Post
    My favorite powder, coffecup is right stay on the higher end will burn clean. Measures fine. Great timing UPS just dropped off 1000 .45 230 gr plated rn an 500 115 gr plated rn from extreme.
    I hope I get a package from X-Treme today. I ordered this past Friday. My order status still says "processing", but since Saturday it has been uneditable and has a note that says it's either shipped or is in the final stages of processing.

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    I've not done a lot of chronograph testing of various loads in 9mm. Of the powders tested though, it's easier to build up a heavy, high-velocity "performance" 9mm handload using Unique than anything else I've tried. I suspect that any powders in the range of propellants that bracket Unique will perform similarly. Unique's clean burning when used with jacketed bullets and loaded up to higher pressure ranges.

People gripe about Unique flowing through powder measures. It doesn't flow like water or even ball powders but it simply isn't the nuisance that overly "picky-Eunice" types complain about. It flows acceptably in the RCBS Uniflow that's mounted on the bench here. I'm like coffeecup and have used Unique in large quantities since ... well before flaming dirt.
    If you will, PM me, or email me some of your 9mm load data with Unique. I've not been reloading long, but Ive got an old field surveyors book from the office here that I took home and put on my reloading bench. Every time I test some loads that I really like I enter that data into my little book. I call it my "confirmed data" book as all loads in it have been thoroughly tested and found acceptable.

I really need to get a chrono though.....That'll be my next purchase.
    StormRhydr likes this.

I'm only 6 months into my reloading adventures so I'm no expert on the subject like bmcgilvary, Oldvet or glockmann10mm (who loves Unique) so I only have limited loading info on it.

I have loaded Berry's Plated 9mm 124gr RN. For a more stout load I used 5.4 grains of Unique. For more of a light plinking load I used 4.5 grains of Unique.

Disclaimer: I was shooting almost all of these (985 rounds out of 1000) out of 9mm revolvers so the light loads did not have to contend with cycling a semi-auto. I did load up 15 rounds using the 5.4 grains of Unique to test fire in my 9mm Carbine and all 15 cycled just fine. The lighter loads I have not tested in any semi-autos yet.
    ETXhiker and herpjunkie like this.
    "Was there no end to the conspiracy of irrational prejudice against Red Ryder and his peacemaker?"

Revolvers, “more elegant weapons for a more civilized age.”

Keep it simple Herp----5 grains will work just fine.
    ETXhiker and herpjunkie like this.

I love Unique for 9mm. I haven't tried the X-treme bullets, but everyone seems to like them. I have been loading Berry's version of the same bullet (FP.) I would say, however, that 5.6 to 5.8 grains is too high as a starting load IMO and probably closer to maximum. For the range, I load the 124 gr. with 5.0 to 5.2 and get good results. Have fun and be safe.
    herpjunkie likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

And that's exactly why I came here before dropping any Unique in a casing. I've got tons of stuff (load data) I printed from the interwebs (which is always right) that ranges Unique from 5.4-6.4 grains in 124 grain Lead and FMJ. The FMJ was 5.8-6.4 whereas the Lead was 5.4-6.2. But I don't like the max loads, a typical range session for me is 250-300 rounds, and max loads wear me out, and probably aren't doing my guns any favors either. But 5.0 sounds like the sweet spot I was looking for.

Thanks fellers
    ETXhiker likes this.

Unique is great stuff, I have used it for rifle, handgun and shotgun for more than 60 years and have found no reason to stop, even with all the new stuff out there.
    herpjunkie and bmcgilvray like this.

Hmmm.

Anyone have any 223/5.56 or 300 ACC Blackout data using Unique?

Quote Originally Posted by herpjunkie View Post
    Hmmm.

Anyone have any 223/5.56 or 300 ACC Blackout data using Unique?
    Check out the "cast boolits" forum. Lots of info there. Enough to keep you busy reading for a very long time. Unique may not be a vey good choice for jacketed bullets in rifle loadings,but for reduced loads using lead "boolets" it works just fine. Not too shabby in 12,16,20 ga shotguns either. Never tried it the 28 or .410.

Quote Originally Posted by coffeecup View Post
    Check out the "cast boolits" forum. Lots of info there. Enough to keep you busy reading for a very long time. Unique may not be a vey good choice for jacketed bullets in rifle loadings,but for reduced loads using lead "boolets" it works just fine. Not too shabby in 12,16,20 ga shotguns either. Never tried it the 28 or .410.
    I'll have a look at that. Thanks coffeecup.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links