Defensive Carry banner

9mm lead bullets WST powder?

2K views 4 replies 3 participants last post by  noylj 
#1 ·
I have shot many 9mm FMJ bullets, 124 gr. Using 4.6 gr. WST powder. One of my favorite loads.

Recently, I've been using 124/125 gr. Lead coated bullets. I have used Unique and WW231 but I'm trying to develop a load using WST Powder,Bullets seated @ 1.125" OAL. I was thinking of 4.2 gr.WST. Anyone out there ever cooked up such a combo? Opinions and input appreciated.

#2 ·
Just curious about your OAL....looks a bit long. What gun are you shooting this out of? I assume you've done a plunk test?

There's lots of "mother in law" research online suggesting a starting load of 4.0. But there are also claims of low velocity and high pressure...which I'd be nervous about.

#3 ·
Actually the bullets I'm using have a narrow ogive, so they drop in even my PPS which has the shortest chamber.

It always scares me working up a load with WST, but often YEILDS me rewarding results. As you probably know, there is little published 9mm reload data with that powder. That is why I am trying to get some help from someone who has already done that been there.

#5 ·
3.4gn WST is starting load. If you don't get pressure signs, 4.0gn is often the accuracy "sweet spot," though it isn't all that accurate. For me, it takes Power Pistol and Silhouette mid-range to near max to really get accuracy. However, I haven't loaded that long.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.