Defensive Carry banner

Finally scored two pounds of powder for pistol reloading.!!!

2K views 17 replies 13 participants last post by  TfflHndn 
#1 ·
Ok so its Green Dot, so I reckon its not the cats meow but ive found some recipes for 9mm and 40 S&W.

Guy I know that reloaded pistol rifle shotgun etc etc for a loooonnggg time is getting out of reloading and selling his stuff pretty cheap just to get it out of the way.

I think older manuals used to have more on Green Dot for pistols but I wasnt looking into reloading then. Ill try to see if maybe he has one of those too left.

So now get the dies scale etc to go with the press, a single stage and try not to blow myself up:gah: LOL.

#3 ·
LOL. Been collecting brass since last fall when a friend gave me the little lee single stage plain jane press. So I have a ton of 9mm and 40 sw once fired brass. I can find loads for 180 gr for 40 which is ok if that is all the recipes I can find but I prefer 165 gr bullets for 40 and havent found any loads for that bullet weight yet.

Ill probably start out with 40 simply because my pistol is 40 while the wifes in 9mm and if by some misfortune I do blow up the pistol at least ill live through it better if its my own instead of hers. In which case I will surely meet my demise LOL.

#7 ·
Avoid low-volume powders and it's doubtful you'll overcharge a round. Don't just look at reloading as a means of saving money (It isn't) but more as a hobby, an extension of the shooting sport.

#13 ·
... Don't just look at reloading as a means of saving money (It isn't) but more as a hobby, an extension of the shooting sport.
I must disagree. Not with the end result, just about the "it isn't" part.

I find I save a lot of money by reloading. In fact, now that my equipment costs have been amortized, I can reload even 9mm for about 50% of new ammunition. This savings does, however, come with a conswquence. Almost every cent I have "saved" has gone into shooting twice as much as I would have if I had to buy new ammunition.

So, the upshot is, shoot twice as much, enjoy it twice as much, and break even on cost!!!!!

#9 ·
Congrats, my Friend! Hint: Dont tell the shotgun boys. You might find this funny; The shotgunners regularly post things like "The 'Pistolerros' are buying it up".

Green Dot is a shotgunners favorite powder. And its rare as unicorns teeth. Id have love to found some more of that. Not for pistol, but for shotshell. Red Dot would be unthinkable to find, lol.

#11 ·
I have reloaded shotshells since I was a boy, but never did reload brass till last year. I decided last year to jump into brass loading, because I no longer trusted the ammo supply chain to remain intact.

Anyway, since I was used to loading for shotgun, I bought powder the same way I would for shotgun. I bought the correct powders for what I wanted to load, but the amounts I did not adjust for. For example, its nothing for shotshell loaders to buy an 8 Lb keg of various powders.

So, as a result, I have lots more of it than I thought when I bought it.

#15 ·
Just remember to match the components used in the loads you are loading from the manuals. Bullets vary in bearing length and construction, which in turn can lead to a difference in OAL. Take care, be observant, and have fun. I reload close to 7000 rounds a year on single stage press; both for pistol and long range rifle comps. I'll check some of my older manuals and pm you if I find loads you can use.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.