Reloading 75 grain Hornady A-Max for 5.56 NATO

This is a discussion on Reloading 75 grain Hornady A-Max for 5.56 NATO within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hey guys, been off the forum for a while due to a webfilter addition here at the office that kept me from getting on any ...

Like Tree5Likes
  • 1 Post By herpjunkie
  • 2 Post By MrBuckwheat
  • 1 Post By herpjunkie
  • 1 Post By coffeecup

Thread: Reloading 75 grain Hornady A-Max for 5.56 NATO

Hey guys, been off the forum for a while due to a webfilter addition here at the office that kept me from getting on any sites having to do with "weapons". Filter has been relaxed - AND I'M BACK!!!!!!

Goody for ya'll, huh?

Been doing some interesting reloading for my AR. Got a little bored just shooting standard 55 grain FMJ's and such, so decided to go a different route to spice things up. Started reloading some long 75 grain Hornady A-Max bullets to shoot LONG range. They have to be hand-fed obviously as the minimum COAL is 2.390" and the max length for fitting a cartridge in an AR-15 magazine is 2.260".

Anyway, just wondered if any of you other guys out there have played around with this. I'm using AA#2015 powder, also H335, and have some Win748 as well, but I think the AA#2015 works best. The only reliable load data I've found is from western powders website, and it lists a max load of I believe it was 22.6 grains. I was wondering if anyone had a Hornady Manual that listed data for that specific bullet/powder combo? The data was actually got .223 Rem, so that's what I used in my first few rounds for load development, but I've switched over to 5.56 NATO Lake City brass and am working on developing that as I like Lake City the best and have amassed a great supply of it.

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

I'm also working with Sierra 65 grain Spitzer Boat Tail GameKing bullets too (hog hunting rounds) and will gladly take any data anyone has on that bullet with the aforementioned powders.

Oh, and before anyone asks, my rifle is 1:7 twist 5.56 NATO chamber.....

Thanks in advance.
    Herp
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

VIP Member
    Scan 7.jpeg

Hope this is readable
    herpjunkie and zacii like this.
    Fast is fine, but accuracy is everything.
    Wyatt Earp

Quote Originally Posted by MrBuckwheat View Post
    Scan 7.jpeg

Hope this is readable
    Yep, once I emailed it to myself it cleared right up - much appreciated.

Well, it tells me that I'm right where I need to be, realistically, at least very close, with the 75 grain A-Max. Using the powder manufacturer's data I'm getting a little over 2,500 fps out of my current loads of 22.0 grains of AA#2015 (22.6 grain being the listed maximum charge), and they're very accurate, so I think I'll just stick with that vs. pushing the envelope.

Thanks again Mr.Buckwheat.
    MrBuckwheat likes this.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Herp---see if you can get your hands on some 82gr bullets. With that 7 :1 twist they just may do a better job for you.
    herpjunkie likes this.

I have shot a lot of these in competition. VV N-140, RL-15, AA-2520, Varget, IMR-8208, H-4895 in the 23.0 - 24.0 gr. range make this bullet shine @ 600 yd.
    IMO 2015 is a little too fast for this bullet weight. I use Rem. 7.5's with these loads. I would not use ww's with these powders... YMMV.
    Who is John Galt?

Sometimes there's justice, sometimes there's just us...

When power is up for grabs; personal liberty is usually one of the first casualties…

Sponsored Links