Questions about Dillon 650

This is a discussion on Questions about Dillon 650 within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am getting ready to purchase a Dillon 650 reloading press. I want to reload the following: 9mm, .45 cal, 5.56, and 7mm-08. I use ...

Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By shadowwalker
  • 1 Post By frankmako
  • 1 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By BigJon10125
  • 1 Post By PAcanis
  • 1 Post By flintlock62
  • 1 Post By Sea Wolf

Thread: Questions about Dillon 650

I am getting ready to purchase a Dillon 650 reloading press. I want to reload the following: 9mm, .45 cal, 5.56, and 7mm-08. I use the 7mm-08 for hunting. I have no experience with reloading and am getting multiple suggestions from different people.

A friend has suggested that perhaps I would not get the precise loads I need with a progressive press. I really don't have the space or the money for multiple press'.

Am I being unrealistic about what I want the press to do? Is it only good for "production" loading of handgun and AR ammo, or is it capable of giving me the precise loads I want for hunting as well?

I would be interested in hearing from people who actually own this Dillon press, rather than just hearing, "Buy an RCBS because I think it's better," without any rationale.

I owned a Dillon Square D and never had problems with any of the loads and I wished I had it back.
    G26Raven likes this.

i got two dillon 550's and load several different pistols cals (44 mag, 45 acp, 40 s&w, 9 mm, 9mm mak, 380 acp, 38 sp, 357 mag) on them. for pistol ammo i would not use anything else. the dillon presses make great reloads. i do all my rifle cals ( 30-30, 35 rem, 7mm-308, 308, 7tcu, 30-223, 30-06) on a two single stage press'. to me a single stage press makes better rifle ammo. you got more leverage on/during the sizing of the brass. i have been thinking of doing my 5.56 on the 550, just to make large amounts of blasting ammo. i have found it is easy to do the rifle cals on the single stage press because it don't need 500 rounds plus at a time. i like to clean the brass, then size/de-prime, re-clean the brass to remove the case lub, prime the brass with a lee hand primer, drop powder 50 rounds at a time with a rcbs powder drop, then seat the bullet. you can get a system where you can made a lots of rifle ammo fast.
    G26Raven likes this.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

VIP Member
    Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black.
    My 2 cents worth:

It sounds like you're going to be loading a lot of rounds. If so a progressive is the way to go for a lot of ammo in a short time. I don't see the need for "precision" in handgun ammo as much as I do for rifle ammo. I am much more critical of a rifle load, weighing each powder load down to the last kernel. Pistols get what the powder dropper gives me, whcik is pretty consistant (+/- .1 grain).

If everything is set up properly and the powder measure is consistant, then there's not much reason a progressive can't be as consistant and precise as a SS press. Unfortunately, unless you're using ball powder in your rifle loads, don't expect a powder dropper to give you reliable and consistant powder loads. So I can see where your friend sees progressive loads as not being precise.

I personally feel a single stage press is the better tool for learning to reload, but that doesn't mean it can't be done on a progressive. The 650 is a pretty high speed tool to learn on and everything has to operate in tune. I've never used one as I can't justify the expense for the amount of ammo I require. Every round I've ever loaded--rifle or handgun--has been turned out on the same old antique single-stage press.
    G26Raven likes this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your heart it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... "For What It's Worth" Buffalo Springfield

Lead Moderator
    Moved thread to reloading sub forum .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I started on a progressive, Hornady, and while I believe the curve was steeper, it was not that difficult. OldVet is right in regards to the type of powders and measuring. If you need extreme precision, another powder measuring option is a great idea and will not be as costly as multiple presses. I have used, and still use, my progressive as a single stage depending on what I am doing. I want the ability to crank off 500 rounds or do 20, and once set up the progressive does either.

If you want the potential now or later for large quantities of ammo go with the progressive.
    G26Raven likes this.
    BigJon

"Better to keep your mouth shut and be thought a fool than to open it and remove all doubt" ~ Mark Twain

No advice from me on the 650 other than to say I was also looking at one, along with the 550. It was calling to me. And then someone said that if I didn't plan on loading 1000 rounds a session the 550 would be just fine. And it has been. There's a YT vid on a guy using the 550 as a single stage to turn out some precision 338 Lapua rifle loads and that is my intention, also.
    The 650 is certainly a Cadillac press. oops, I don't think we're supposed to use the Cadillac term anymore
    G26Raven likes this.

Senior Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by G26Raven View Post
    I am getting ready to purchase a Dillon 650 reloading press. I want to reload the following: 9mm, .45 cal, 5.56, and 7mm-08. I use the 7mm-08 for hunting. I have no experience with reloading and am getting multiple suggestions from different people.

A friend has suggested that perhaps I would not get the precise loads I need with a progressive press. I really don't have the space or the money for multiple press'.

Am I being unrealistic about what I want the press to do? Is it only good for "production" loading of handgun and AR ammo, or is it capable of giving me the precise loads I want for hunting as well?

I would be interested in hearing from people who actually own this Dillon press, rather than just hearing, "Buy an RCBS because I think it's better," without any rationale.
    First off, are you going be competition bench rest shooting? If you are, you need more equipment than just a press whether it's progressive or single stage. If not, then a Dillon 650 will do everything you want. I would like to hear your friend's definition of "precise". Is he a very experienced competition shooter, or does he simply reload for the sake of economics, which is what most of us do? By the way, economics does not mean poor quality reloads, by any means. My 550B will load more accurate rounds than factory ammo.

I have a 550B, and find it more than adequate. Dillon will tell you the 650 has problems with CCI primers, for whatever reason I don't know. The 550B has absolutely no problems with CCI's.

Your mention of "hunting loads" does not fit into the same category as "bench rest", unless you're going to be shooting the 3,000 yard buck this season. Then you will still need more than a press.
    G26Raven likes this.

Thank you all for all the insights and information!

About a year I was trying to make the same decision. I ended up with a Dillon 550b. I decided to go with the manual progressive because of the flexibility. I can make pistol ammo almost as fast as an auto indexing and still use the 550b as a substitute single stage.

For .223 the powder measure is just fine for AR ammo. For varmint hunting you can buy an extra tool head and do all operations in two steps and use a more accurate powder measure method. I have used scoops and a trickler for .308 rounds that are much more accurate than factory.

I hope this helps.
    SW
    G26Raven likes this.

Sponsored Links