Powder Storage: How hot is too hot?

This is a discussion on Powder Storage: How hot is too hot? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Most powder canisters say on the label, "store in a cool, dry place." I always have done that, but now, we have moved to our ...

Like Tree19Likes
  • 2 Post By DingBat
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 1 Post By ETXhiker
  • 2 Post By OldVet
  • 2 Post By Bigsteve113
  • 1 Post By Blue Thunder
  • 1 Post By bmcgilvray
  • 4 Post By coffeecup
  • 3 Post By Estil
  • 1 Post By ETXhiker

Thread: Powder Storage: How hot is too hot?

Most powder canisters say on the label, "store in a cool, dry place." I always have done that, but now, we have moved to our place out in the country. My new reloading space is in a store room that doesn't have air conditioning. As most know, Texas summers can get pretty rough. I have accumulated quite a few pounds of powder in the last several years and I'm wondering - is this going to kill my powder supply in short order, or will it take a while to have an effect? Would storing it in an igloo ice chest keep the temps more even? Just wondering if anyone has any direct experience with this, thanks.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

I would think moisture is big deal. bullets will still fire after getting VERY hot. heck, they'll fire right up to the point of, and including "cooking off". so I doubt it's the heat itself that kills the powder. I think it's the moisture that comes with humidity, and the moisture that comes with temperature fluctuation.

Silica packets. - now, I don't know if it's ok to put silica directly in with the powder, or if it is keep the kegs in a sealed container of some sort and then put the desiccant in there.

??
    ETXhiker and msgt/ret like this.
    Beans, Bullets, and Bandages. The only thing better than being ready is not having to use it!

"First comes smiles. Then comes lies. Last is Gunfire."

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    Here's the SAAMI recommendations. I read somewhere to keep it under 150 degrees. I doubt your storage room will exceed that, but maybe. If it's a concern, you might keep the powder in the house A/C and only take what you need to do reloading and return it to the house afterwards.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf
    ETXhiker and msgt/ret like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks, guys! If the limit is 150 degrees, I should be safe. The store room is wood, not metal and has windows I can open to let air circulate. I doubt it will get much hotter than the outside temperature. And come to think of it, I doubt the ammo storage in Iraq was air conditioned either.
    jem102 likes this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    That might be ammunition storage for the 150 degrees. Here's the SAAMI recommendations for that.

http://www.saami.org/specifications_...ess_Powder.pdf
    msgt/ret and ETXhiker like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

Thanks, OldVet.

Distinguished Member Array Bigsteve113's Avatar
    My Dad had an 8 pound keg of Unique stored in his outside workshop, no climate control, in South Louisiana for 30 years. I found it 2 years ago while cleaning out the shop after he passed. I've been using this powder for the last 2 years. Loaded thousands of rounds of .38, .45, 9 mm, and .40. I've had zero issues! Every round **** just fine. Chrono showsvno appreciable difference in the old and new Unique!

BTW, found some old primers along with the powder.......they all worked perfectly fine too !
    rubberfrog and ETXhiker like this.
    “Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.”

― Heraclitus

I have been lucky to keep all my powder in a conditioned air zone. Also, the openings to all of my canisters of powder have a very good seal on the top of the powder drums. The Unique has a nice screw on seal cap that is about 1 inch in diameter and has 3 thread to seal. The AA series has a larger opening that includes a cap topping sealer that covers the top and then the cap seals it. My loading area/bench has very low humidity as noted by the temp/humidity gauge that I keep in the room. I have never had an issue with powder or primers. I have read that powder that has gone bad has an acrid odor to it.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Praise the Lord my Rock, who trains my hands for war, my fingers for battle --- Psalm 144
    NRA Endowment Life
    There are NO Silver Medals for Street Combat
    Blue Thunder, I smell Victory in the Morning!

Senior Moderator
    If you notice the odd can of powder go up in a huge fireball with a lot of smoke, the place you're keeping it might be too hot.

I've used some powders with know history but garage/storage building kept through many Texas summers with perfect satisfaction.
    ETXhiker likes this.
    Charter Member of the DC .41 LC Society "Get heeled! No really"

“No possible rapidity of fire can atone for habitual carelessness of aim with the first shot.”

Theodore Roosevelt, The Wilderness Hunter, 1893

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    When my mom passed away in 2007 at the age of 90 we cleaned out her home of many years and found a 12 lb keg of Green Dot that I stored in her attic when I went into the military in Feb.1959.

Still good to go !!!!!! I used the last of it a couple years ago.

Moisture is the biggest danger to powder in my opinion. As many others have noted, powder can be stored for many years with hot temperatures without damage. Your idea of storing in a cooler in the storage building may give you added security against moisture.
    If it don't seem like it's worth the effort, then it probably ain't.

My Dad had an 8 pound keg of Unique stored in his outside workshop, no climate control, in South Louisiana for 30 years. I found it 2 years ago while cleaning out the shop after he passed. I've been using this powder for the last 2 years. Loaded thousands of rounds of .38, .45, 9 mm, and .40. I've had zero issues! Every round **** just fine. Chrono shows no appreciable difference in the old and new Unique!
    I am glad to hear from some reloaders with person experience with hot powder storage. Sounds like I don't have much to worry about. Cool! Thanks, everyone!
    Bigsteve113 likes this.

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links