Pulled the trigger

Pulled the trigger

This is a discussion on Pulled the trigger within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just ordered a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press. Hornady has a 500 free bullets rebate to come along with their press. Interestingly enough, this momentous ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Like Tree63Likes

Thread: Pulled the trigger

VIP Member

Pulled the trigger

Just ordered a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press. Hornady has a 500 free bullets rebate to come along with their press.

Interestingly enough, this momentous decision was made right after I made another factory plinking ammo order.
    The, Kilowatt3, MMinSC and 13 others like this.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

That's the way it usually is.
    Congrats on your press.
    Start looking for some powders you might want to try. Things aren't back to normal yet.
    Kilowatt3 and gatorbait51 like this.

VIP Member
    If you enjoy your LnL AP as much as I enjoy mine, you'll be very happy that you purchased it.

Best advice I can give you is don't get yourself in a rush to make bullets when you're setting it up. Take your time. If it's like most progressives, you'll have some timing tweaks to make in order to get things running well. I had some issues with reliable primer feeding and I spent some time smoothing out some of the primer feed parts. Once I got everything worked out it's run without any issues but it did take a little time spent investigating and working on a few parts to get it to 100%
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    That's the way it usually is.
    Congrats on your press.
    Start looking for some powders you might want to try. Things aren't back to normal yet.
    I'm still going to have out of stock or pay through the nose problems, aren't I?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Then said he unto them, "But now, he that hath a purse, let him take it, and likewise his scrip: and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one." - Luke 22:36

And God came down and gave unto John Moses Browning the divine knowledge of the perfect handgun. Amen.

VIP Member
    Congrats!

If you're loading for rifles, I suggest you look up data for IMR3031 - That's about the only rifle powder I've been finding lately (at least around here). I like it, though, and it's good for .223, .308, and .30-30, so no problem.

I've seen a slight improvement in the pistol powder situation just the last couple weeks or so. For months, the only pistol-suitable powder I could find was 700x, but just in the last couple of weeks I scored a pound each of Power Pistol, Auto-Comp, and TiteGroup. Three pounds of powder will last me a pretty long time!
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Regards,
    Jim
    NRA Life Member
    Charter Member (#00002) of the DC .41 LC Society - "Get Heeled! No, really!"
    He that cannot reason is a fool. He that will not is a bigot. He that dare not is a slave. - Andrew Carnegie

Quote Originally Posted by rdunawaytx View Post
    I'm still going to have out of stock or pay through the nose problems, aren't I?
    I haven't seen much ridiculously over priced powder, it is mostly just not available(at least in my area anyway). Nowadays it seems like you can buy "something", just maybe not your first or second choice.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

That's the one I'd like to buy.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I've had mine for 4 years now and I've cranked out well over 10K rounds, mostly .45 ACP but some others as well. If you run into problems, send up a flare and I'm sure there's enough collective experience here to get you squared away.

The 500 free bullets and a great sale at Midway was the incentive for me to choose Red instead of Blue.
    Smitty
    NRA Endowment Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Distinguished Member Array hdhnict's Avatar
    Congrats on the purchase. The 500 Hornady bullets is a good start too.
    Is this your first?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    I don't carry to deter crime. I carry to defend myself!

Distinguished Member Array flintlock62's Avatar
    Just ordered a Hornady Lock-N-Load AP Progressive Press. Hornady has a 500 free bullets rebate to come along with their press.

Interestingly enough, this momentous decision was made right after I made another factory plinking ammo order.
    That's a very nice press. Are you new to reloading? Take your time getting it set up. What about the other things you need, scale, bullet puller? What brand of dies?
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    "A government big enough to give you everything you
    want, is strong enough to take everything you have."

The prices around me have been normal, but some shops can't seem to get anything in and others can, but it disappears quickly. If you have a list of what you're looking for, you can grab some when you see it. Rifle powders have been back a while, but pistol is still a bit hit or miss.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Distinguished Member
    I own a red one and a blue one. The red I've had much longer. I've produced a lot of rounds off it but it's moods can be worse than my first wife. Yep, take your time. Life is long so you have plenty of time. If it isn't long....then it doesn't matter anyway.
    gatorbait51 likes this.
    Savage Heartland

What if the Hokey Pokey IS what it's all about?

Congrats on a sweet press that will serve you very well.

What caliber are you planning to try first?
    SW
    gatorbait51 likes this.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Sea Wolf View Post
    Congrats on a sweet press that will serve you very well.

What caliber are you planning to try first?
    SW
    Unsure. I need to see which one's I have the least of. I'll probably buy the Hornadys in .308 in anticipation of completing the AR-10 build, since I have exactly zero of those. But I'll be loading mostly pistol calibers. .38, .357 mag, .40 S&W, .44 mag, .45 ACP. The two .357s liking different bullets and my .44 mag pushed me over the economic edge.

Quote Originally Posted by flintlock62 View Post
    That's a very nice press. Are you new to reloading? Take your time getting it set up. What about the other things you need, scale, bullet puller? What brand of dies?
    Quote Originally Posted by hdhnict View Post
    Congrats on the purchase. The 500 Hornady bullets is a good start too.
    Is this your first?
    It is my first. I've got plenty of time to take my time. I'm going to research the other stuff and get what I need as well as ask on here. My wife has a very refreshing attitude towards my tools and toys. Her attitude is "get what you want the first time because we're going to end up there anyway. Might as well only spend the money once." I'm an engineer and I've worked with my hands most of my life on my various hobbies, so I'm not too worried about the theory or workings of going directly to a progressive press vs a single stage.

So yeah. Take things very slow and understand exactly what I'm doing step by step is going to happen. I'm a chemical engineer. I understand the consequences of screwing up and things going boom.

Simply having the capability on hand to make your own ammo is worth the investment, in my opinion. At least in todays world.
    gatorbait51 likes this.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links