Idea for my 1st batch of reloads.

This is a discussion on Idea for my 1st batch of reloads. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; So I started reloading my .45 ammo a few weeks ago and rather than spend a whole bunch of time "working up" a new load ...

Thread: Idea for my 1st batch of reloads.

So I started reloading my .45 ammo a few weeks ago and rather than spend a whole bunch of time "working up" a new load I did the stupid thing and reloaded a batch 100.

I started with the minimum recommended load (185gr rn, 5gr W231). when I went to the range with them, they are too light of a load to cycle the slide completely. Now I need your wise thoughts on my next idea.

I was thinking instead of pulling the bullets and starting over, I have an old recoil spring. I was thinking of cutting off a coil or two to lighten it and use that spring for the rest of this batch of ammo. Will that work OK?

Thanks!
    "Learn as if you'll live forever...Live as if you'll die tomorrow" - SOULFLY

Where am I going....and why am I in a hand basket???

Assistant Administrator
    I'd say it could work - if the reduced rate spring is right for the load.

Maybe chop one coil at a time and try. Just remember to replace correct one after!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

run it with a light spring and shot um up or else shoot as is and practice jam clears

Why do you reload? If its just to save money dry fire. If its to closely resemble your duty ammo and reduce cost then work towards a duty type bullet and speed. If its to shoot in a competition and you need alot of bullets then you look at your rules and at available components and your skill level and work up a load that will make you more competetive.You already took the big step GETTING STARTED. Now your looking for your best bang theory. I'll try to help.
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

Lead Moderator
    I like Buds idea. Jam clearing drills would be good. just be sure not to get a squib load and bullet stuck in the barrel. Followed by another .
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Jam clearing would definitely be useful. Maybe I should keep them around and mix them in with good rounds so I can force the jams to happen, but not on every shot. I was a little worried about squib rounds, but I don't think they're that bad, just not quite enough power to cycle that 22+lb. spring all the way.

Lightningstrike02: I'm reloading purely for cost savings. Dry firing is fine and all, but it just doesn't go bang .

Why are you using a 22# spring?

I get the going bang part.Cost savings is great but some goals of reloading are to make an item perform over what is available off the shelf. Some trophys are won by reloaders who spent a lot more than I can afford. With the cost savings goal in mind watch out for known trouble makers like good deals on ACCURATE #5 powder. KB's and Glocks kinda had a loose relationship with this powder in .45's. Not really sure if it was the components, the bullet installers, or the high volume of this powder use as it was cheaper for a while.

I will be most curious about your use and shared knowledge of this 100 round batch. Advice is great and I like what has been offered but I want the RESULT of what you will do and what you learn. I have made more batches of ammo and thought the results would be predictable just to find out that the powder was too dirty or the bullet drop at 50 yds was to much or like you finding the springs dont match the load. If any one really knew the answer it wouldnt be called working up a load. Fun Hu?
    I am an American. I vote. I will serve on a jury when called. Its a MEMBERS ONLY thing.

The springs are stock in a 3.5" 1911(Para). They may even be 24#, I don't exactly remember. Either way, it's pretty stiff.

I'll keep you posted on how I use these rounds.

My bad. Thought you were carrying a full grown pistol.

Sponsored Links