Reloading for the Glock

This is a discussion on Reloading for the Glock within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok, what's the scoop on reloading for Glocks? I have read several different things (not positive) about reloading for them. I love to shoot and ...

Thread: Reloading for the Glock

Reloading for the Glock

Ok, what's the scoop on reloading for Glocks? I have read several different things (not positive) about reloading for them. I love to shoot and I love to reload, so what's the problem? I have always just taken the advise and shot factory loaded ammo, but I am now thinking about loading for my G23.

I have also read in this forum that if a self defense situation ever did arise and the BG was shot with a handloaded round, it could be a nightmare in the courtroom. Why is this? What is the difference in a factory loaded 165 grain HP traveling at 1123 fps vs a handloaded 165 grain HP traveling at 1123 fps?

2. Remove Ads

Because you made the wonder uber killing bullet

loading for the glock is fine just remember some things

No lead

And check your cases closely for guppy belly especially because it is a 40

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I've shot reloads through my Glock before, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you go and buy a new barrel with normal riflings. The reason why Glock doesn't recommend shooting reloads is because of the octaganol riflings.

Quote Originally Posted by blueyedevil View Post
    I've shot reloads through my Glock before, but I wouldn't recommend it unless you go and buy a new barrel with normal riflings. The reason why Glock doesn't recommend shooting reloads is because of the octaganol riflings.
    Thats only for lead

A FMJ reload wont matter

and the rifling is polyganol

Lead Moderator
    Like Bud said, use FMJ bullets and watch for bulges (esp. near the rim) and you should be o.k.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

On the .40, the problem is the rearmost portion of the case being unsupported while in the chamber, giving rise to the "bulge " mentioned. Look at a fired case some time.
    The Glock factory barrel is made with the this unsupported portion to aid it in feeding under less than ideal conditions. If the case has been exposed to this repeatedly, under the high pressure of .40 round it could fail due to metal fatigue. There have been reports of guns being damaged by the case failing. Also, as mentioned, only jacketed rounds should be used in the factory barrels because of the hexagonal rifling used by Glock. It is prone to quick lead build up, if non jacketed bullets are used.

You want to know why Glock says not to use reloads in their guns?

1. It voids the warranty.

2. The unsupported brass issue discussed above.

3. The octagonal rifling.

Want to see what happens when someone shoots worn out brass reloads in a glock? Look here:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Vceh44UK-8I

And here:http://www.thegunzone.com/glock/glock-kb-faq.html

By all means, do not let this make you think that I am anti-Glock. I am not. I carry a Glock 23. I have it on right now. But it is something that I am aware of and something I know could happen to my gun and me. It's something that I accept the possibility of and live with. The toughness of the gun and the accuracy far exceeds the risk of a KaBoom! happening.
    ,=====o00o _
    //___l__,\____\,__
    l_--- \___l---[]lllllll[]
    (o)_)-o- (o)_)--o-)_)

Senior Moderator
    The lead shoots just fine though the polygonal rifiling, but Glock doesnt reccomend it because lead bullets will lead the barrel rather quickly...and if you are idiot enough to not clean the lead out of the barrel eventually it will cause excessive pressures.

Some people never clean their guns after firing...since Glock has no control over this they highly discourage the practice and void the warranty.

If you are shooting enough lead through the Glock that it becomes a concern,one of the conventional rifled after markets barrels would be a better choice. As for reloading, the sizing die will take care of any case bulge and shouldnt be an issue. FWIW, I've been using .45 cases shot though Glocks for years without any issues.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Links