Reloading 101 (ish!)

This is a discussion on Reloading 101 (ish!) within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; i might have to go to my local range and try to get me some "used" brass from their bucket if they will let me....lol. ...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Reloading 101 (ish!)

i might have to go to my local range and try to get me some "used" brass from their bucket if they will let me....lol. kinda stock up you know. i am also starting to look at possibly reloading myself for my 45 and my .32 win spec which i have read they are going to start to phase out of production. so it will get expensive in the coming years.

oh yeah any chance of making this a stickey!
    Last edited by palmgopher; May 25th, 2007 at 04:11 AM.

2. Remove Ads

VIP Member
    And in case you want to know what happens when you double-charge....

Blowups
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    I put some kabooms on one of my sites - mostly scarfed from other places .......

Kabooms
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Inspect all brass prior to reloading, clean brass is easer to spot flaws, toss anything questionable.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Reloading can be as much a hobby as the actual shooting. While there are a multitude of places to save money on reloading, two items that you should not compromise on are a scale and a powder measure. Without naming the brands, I've seen some inexpensive scales and measures be off as much as 3/10 of a grain on successive weighings of the same weight or throwing the same charge. If you're loading at the lower end of the range, this may not be a problem, but if loading at the upper end of the charge limit, this could have severe repercussions. Though one of the most expensive, my favorite beam scale is the RCBS 1010 but any medium priced Lyman, RCBS, Hornady or Redding will be reliable and give you years of worry free performance. For a measure, I like the Lyman 55 measure. A feature I particularly like on this model is the "thumper" on the powder chamber. This is a weight that you can flip with your finger while at the bottom of the drop cycle to "thump" the powder chamber to ensure that no bridging has occurred and the powder drop is complete. The RCBS Uniflow Measure or the Hornady Lock&Load Measure are also good choices, especially with the addition of the micrometer metering insert available for either.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

VIP Member
    And bringing back this thread, I just made this booboo because I was distracted while installing the seating die.

I cannot even imagine the pressure on that sucker.

Stay alert & pay attention!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Senior Moderator
    Wow Miggy I've set some deep but never like that.
    Sometimes I wonder who the old man in the mirror is....

Lord, Grant me a good sword and no need to use it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowsbane View Post
    So I have to ask, on average, about how much does it cost to set up a small to medium reloading station? not counting brass
    You can get a LEE hand press kit for like 25 bucks.

http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...416&t=11082005

Well, it's 30 bucks now, but that's how I started. Got a tumbling kit, the reloading kit and a few other odds and ends for less than 200 bucks. The only thing I've added is an automatic powder measure. I plan on getting a better press at some point, but I can reload 50 rounds in about an hour. Not going to break any records, but if I reload a few nights a week, I have enough ammo on hand for my shooting on the weekend.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - it happens! Remember my .223 that got over inserted?

Sammy - over time with additions you'll get your reload speed up. I mentioned before I think that cost savings increase almost with caliber. Regular stuff like .38, 9mm and .45acp are not that big of a saving but - just completed 200 or so .454 loads ..... even with spendy XTP bullets and a hefty charge of H-110, the rounds still only come out around 25 cents ........ buying Hornady factory stuff they cost close to $1 a pop!!!

Now that saving i like
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Miggy - it happens! Remember my .223 that got over inserted?

That actually looks like a wildcat round!
    Randy Cain.

How safe is it to reload in an apartment? I am in college and money is an object, so I would like to start reloading 38spl for my 642. I would get to practice more if I could reload, but I also live in an apartment and am afraid that if something went wrong I could send a round through the floor or something.

I have never reloaded before and if I decide to do so I would obviously take a course and read up on it first, but before I got into all of that I just want to make sure its feasible/safe to do in an apartment.

Assistant Administrator
    Reloading done sensibly and safely can be done anywhere IMO.

If you have a firm base to use as a bench - to clamp a press onto then the rest is just following basic rules and safety measures. You sure ain't gonna start shooting thru floors reloading!!

Do read up of course and Dean Grennell's ''ABC's of Reloading'' is a good start point. Better still is finding someone who reloads already to take you thru the basics.

It is most certainly not rocket science and safe as many things when done right. You are more likely to have an accident cooking on the stove than reloading.!

Obviously common sense measures are needed over storage of powders, primers etc . and eye protection is more than desirable. In essence, get some basic gear and walk before running
    Chris - P95

Any recommendations on quality inexpensive reloading gear? What exactly do I need?

I will see if I can go pick up that book tomorrow morning which is sure to explain all of that ^^ but I figured I would ask your opinion anyway.

Assistant Administrator
    Well Dean Grennell is passed quite some time ago but - his words are solid for getting into the deal. A good alternative is 2nd Edition of "Modern Reloading'' by Richard Lee - in fact as that relates to Lee stuff maybe more useful - plus it has some load data. Consider that one.

Many will recommend Dillon gear but - that is a much more expensive start ... and so if you wanna stay with budget stuff that will do the job then IMO Lee will save you a good bit.

http://www.leeprecision.com/ will show you what they have on offer but - you'll save well if you buy what you want thru Midway.

If .38 spl is your main priority now then you'll need a die set - which also will actually do .357. get the tungstens - no case lube needed with those. To economize a Challenger (I think it is) single station press will serve well - but if funds run to it get a turret press. For your .38's a three position will do - you can crimp the rounds adequately on station 3 when seating bullet.

You must have some sorta scales . the Lee beam ones are OK but ...... RCBS or Lyman beam scales way better. You may find some stuff on ebay or Gunbroker actually, if someone is selling up or upgrading.

You can get cast bullets from several sources. I find midstate bullets good but there are others. I suggest 158 SWC's for 38 snub shooting.

Obviously you'll need powder and primers - you may save by getting those at gun shop as Hazmat cost for mail order is about $20. For general purpose Unique will serve you well - over a wide load range... but also Win 231 or Bullseye also good for target .38 loads.

There are many bits and pieces that also make things easier and one gets over time but I think what I have mentioned would kick you off adequately.
    Chris - P95

What you are reloading for and how much you plan on shooting plays a big part. Here is a great link about reloading on a budget - everything you need can fit in a shoebox and costs less than $50 for all the tools.

http://www.beartoothbullets.com/tech...h_notes.htm/51

Austin

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Links