The dreaded high primer

This is a discussion on The dreaded high primer within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Just got off phone with a shootin' buddy - who related how he had refilled his carry J frame ..... a 637, with his +P ...

Thread: The dreaded high primer

Assistant Administrator

The dreaded high primer

Just got off phone with a shootin' buddy - who related how he had refilled his carry J frame ..... a 637, with his +P SD ammo - darned if I remember what make it was.

No matter - thing was when he went to test rotate cylinder, it was hanging up on one round! Not enough to jam but enough he reckoned to make for a severe increase in DA pull for that round. The primer was just high (pretty rare occurrence hopefully) - but barely enough to be easily visible at a glance, until that is the rounds were held up so as to look across case heads level.

So - struck me that it is worth inspecting about any SD ammo before charging cylinders or mags ..... just be sure all is to spec". Particularly tho rounds for revo. I have gotten to checking OAL on all rounds I keep in 226 - may seem a tad anal but hey - helps to be sure
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    I'll tell you what Chris, after reading this thread and the other one few weeks back with the crushed neck of a casing, I'm paying extra special attention to all my rounds.

I usually inspect while loading, but I think I'll be paying a little more attention from now on.

Thanks for the heads up.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    Its not anal.... its damn smart.

Anyone who think inspecting their sd ammo before loading and forgetting about it won't feel that way if the SHTF and their weapon malfunctions due to somehting very preventable.

Thanks for the reminder.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    Just got off phone with a shootin' buddy - who related how he had refilled his carry J frame ..... a 637, with his +P SD ammo - darned if I remember what make it was.

No matter - thing was when he went to test rotate cylinder, it was hanging up on one round! Not enough to jam but enough he reckoned to make for a severe increase in DA pull for that round. The primer was just high (pretty rare occurrence hopefully) - but barely enough to be easily visible at a glance, until that is the rounds were held up so as to look across case heads level.

So - struck me that it is worth inspecting about any SD ammo before charging cylinders or mags ..... just be sure all is to spec". Particularly tho rounds for revo. I have gotten to checking OAL on all rounds I keep in 226 - may seem a tad anal but hey - helps to be sure
    Never "too prepared". After hearing a similar story from a friend having a stoppage during a match (he uses Rem JHP for just about everything, including SD) due to an oversized case he started chamber checking each round he loads in his carry mags, and so have I. Only problem is, I have noticed with Golden Sabers, there are so many per box with at least one ding in the case about halfway from the neck to the web. I don't know what causes them, but I see them mostly on .45 and .40 ammo, not so much the 9 mm. Bonded or unbonded, I bought a 50 pack of .40 Golden Saber 165 gr. bonded and found 10 of the cases had these dings. They don't affect chambering, but I haven't fired them to try to see if they'll "stick" after the case expands. They shouldn't, but I'm not taking that chance.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

VIP Member
    Not a bad thought, especially since I carry a wheelgun.

Added to this, I recall a thread not too long ago that discussed rechambering the same carry round repeatedly (in an auto) could seat the bullet farther in and shorten the OAL.

Something else to think about for those who missed that thread.
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Quote Originally Posted by CopperKnight View Post
    Not a bad thought, especially since I carry a wheelgun.

Added to this, I recall a thread not too long ago that discussed rechambering the same carry round repeatedly (in an auto) could seat the bullet farther in and shorten the OAL.

Something else to think about for those who missed that thread.
    Some of the autos (like 1911s) that use the feed ramps to maintain the round in proper feeding position can do that. My 1911 did that and I wouldn't chamber a round more than once because of the setback I got with it. It was probably a fault of the mag, but I don't have the pistol any more. I do have three Berettas that I have been experimenting with observing setback; an M9, a PX4 9mm, and a 96D. None of them cause any discernible setback after 20 or more rechamberings. The setup of these pistols have the rounds feed almost directly into the chamber and barely touch the chamber throat (especially in the PX4). The Golden Sabers I carry also use a bullet with an undersized nose with a "driving band at the rear of the bullet, so the bullet doesn't really touch the rifling lands until it is fired. YMMV.
    Vis consili expers mole ruit sua.
    -Horace

Had that happen to me in the early stages of reloading, but I've gotten better.

I check

It's not anal. I check all my ammo in the carry mags. I usually stand them up and compare to make sure there is no setback. I visually check them when I'm inserting them for nicks, dents, crud that sort of thing.

Lead Moderator
    I read in a PD mag a while back about weighing your carry ammo. Even the factory can miss loading powder or load a light charge.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    weighing your carry ammo
    Even that Rocky is worth doing - because if a round should be light on powder, and assuming bullet weights close, then a discrepancy of a few grains can show - at least anyways ... a round that doesn't ''make it'' can for sure be kept aside.

I remember loading (long ago) - a batch of 9mm's .. and foolishly did not monitor the powder hopper ....... so I did not know at what point in the box of 100 I had ''gone dry".

I was reluctant to pull them all so weighed them beginning at last round loaded. The 5.5 grain discrepancy showed sufficient that once I got back to ''OK'' rounds and pulled a few of those to be sure, the end result was a 100 good rounds.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    I have found most carry ammo I use the bullet weight is close enough to the same round to round I should be able to spot a light / no powder round. Same with reloads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Can't be too careful with your life... I'm glad you posted that Chris.
    -Bark'n
    Semper Fi

"The gun is the great equalizer... For it is the gun, that allows the meek to repel the monsters; Whom are bigger, stronger and without conscience, prey on those who without one, would surely perish."

i lost most of my vision in my right eye from a primer that was not seated properly. it was a .45 auto, fired from a 1911. when the shell was cycled into the chamber from the magazine, the slide slapped the primer, and the shell exploded outside the chamber. i was showered in the face with shards of brass. it also detonated the shell beneath it in the magazine. being young and dumd, i was not wearing eye protection, hard lesson learned that day. inspect your ammo, and always wear eye and ear protection.

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Juggernaut View Post
    Never "too prepared". After hearing a similar story from a friend having a stoppage during a match (he uses Rem JHP for just about everything, including SD) due to an oversized case he started chamber checking each round he loads in his carry mags, and so have I. Only problem is, I have noticed with Golden Sabers, there are so many per box with at least one ding in the case about halfway from the neck to the web. I don't know what causes them, but I see them mostly on .45 and .40 ammo, not so much the 9 mm. Bonded or unbonded, I bought a 50 pack of .40 Golden Saber 165 gr. bonded and found 10 of the cases had these dings. They don't affect chambering, but I haven't fired them to try to see if they'll "stick" after the case expands. They shouldn't, but I'm not taking that chance.
    If everything else is ok, a small ding won't matter.

Links