2500+ reloads - and counting!

This is a discussion on 2500+ reloads - and counting! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Not defensive per se - but practice for same! Just added some more tonight and progress is becoming ''useful''! Rear left - 750 .357 mag ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 2500+ reloads - and counting!

Assistant Administrator

2500+ reloads - and counting!

Not defensive per se - but practice for same! Just added some more tonight and progress is becoming ''useful''!

Rear left - 750 .357 mag (250 more to do)
    Rear right - 650 .38 spl (probably more to come)
    Middle left - 550 9mm (fiddly buggers but another 400 or so be handy)
    Middle right - 450 .45 acp (need to do another 400)
    Large box and ass'd pouches (cosmetics pouches actually ) - an assortment of 45-70 including some experimentals. About 150.

Yet to do cals - 44 mag when bullets arrive - probably 500 ........ .454 when time, about 200 top loads ....... might try some 7.62x25 and finally, need to brew a goodly number of .223's but, that'll be tedious.

Why the post? I am feeling pleased Another coupla weeks of pickin' at it might see it all done.

Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

2. Remove Ads

Yeah, but in a couple of weeks you should have a big pile of spent brass that needs loaded again.

Looks like you have been busy.

I need to get into reloading.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Assistant Administrator
    Having been so darned lazy for months, in fact - the idea is to reload to such a degree that approx half of the qty per cal is kept as ''buffer''. Meaning, once brass ''released'' from part use, more reloading!

I have for ages been running down way lower than desired ... before buying or reloading. So, stock must remain adequate at all times even with use.

I actually have buckets of brass so if I loaded them all I'd be swimmin' in the stuff

Do seriously consider reloading yourself ........ you are young enough that over time you can gradually set up - and then build a stock of consumables. From then on you can be independent if need be.
    Chris - P95

Do seriously consider reloading yourself ........ you are young enough that over time you can gradually set up - and then build a stock of consumables. From then on you can be independent if need be.
    I save do try to save brass, and have piles built up in .45ACP and LC, .30-30, .38 and .357, .223, and 7.62X39. The only problem is that for the past 4 years I have lived a kind of transitory lifestyle, never staying in the same residence for more than a year, and haven't really had room (I can't imagine what would have happened if I reloaded in the dorms ).

My future job will require me to be even more transitory, and many of my firearms will have to remain at my parent's house during my time in it as well. I will continue to save brass however, and once I settle down, will set up for reloading.

However, a .45-70 has always been on my list of wants, and from what I have been told for that I pretty much need to reload to get maximum potential.
    Fortes Fortuna Juvat

Former, USMC 0311, OIF/OEF vet
    NRA Pistol/Rifle/Shotgun/Reloading Instructor, RSO, Ohio CHL Instructor

Lead Moderator
    always good to have ammo stocked up. I need to get busy and load some more myself.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Assistant Administrator
    Buckeye - understand your problem but - you have made a good start just by accumulating brass!

Over time you might be able to get some simple stuff first - single station and some dies - maybe start on some 38 spl at your folk's place when feasable. Time will come I am sure when you will be more settled and can get into it more - but don't let your present transitory pattern stop you from preparing.

However, a .45-70 has always been on my list of wants, and from what I have been told for that I pretty much need to reload to get maximum potential.
    Indeed yes for sure. Factory Rem 45-70 for example is the ''safe'' stuff ... 25,000 pressure probably and OK for trap door. I load for the mid and high range (30,000 and 35,000) pressure ranges ..... so I can enjoy the BFR and some ''Buffalo'' loads thru my Ruger #1.
    Chris - P95

I need to get loading to but im still over 3k in 38 and 9mm 44 and few other 45 acp i am low on maybe 200 rounds

Ah, I must hang my head in shame and get busy. My stock of .45 reloads is down to about 150 now. Plenty of empty cases though....
    If you stand up and be counted, from time to time you may get yourself knocked down. But remember this: A man flattened by an opponent can get up again. A man flattened by conformity stays down for good. ~ Thomas J. Watson, Jr.

I am so busy anymore that I usually try to do 2-3 large runs on reloading and then pack everything up and push it in the corner for the rest of the year.

That does it! I'm inspired!

I'm gonna get my Rockchucker Press out and set it up. Then I need to get some new dies, and a digital scale, and a case tumbler, and I'm sure a bunch of other cool accessories that have come along since the last time I used it. And a nice bolt gun in 7 x 57, since I already have the dies for it (there's always a good reason to buy another weapon).
    Cheers,
    Rod
    "We're paratroopers. We're supposed to be surrounded!" Dick Winters

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    Congrats, I figure I am just over 3,000 rds of 9mm and .45acp. Now I just have to get started on my .455 Webely stuff. It's a good feeling to have your very own bullet go BANG!

I am learning so much reloading, I am just realizing how much I don't know!!

Assistant Administrator
    Nice numbers Colin! One of my probs is spreading reloading over so many cals but - as I said, I keep pickin' away and another 200 is already added to the last total.

What are you using for your .455 reloads? I got 100 Fiocchi brass cases which I use - nice brass. I have ''cheated'' a bit for bullets and use as cast 230 LRN's same as I'd use for .45acp but not sized - so they finish up a smidgeon larger - just roll em in liquid Alox.

I've run out of the powder I used to use but a shotshell powder like Red Dot or Solo 1000 is useful - and just light loads .... at least, I keep mine light for the MkVI.
    Chris - P95

Administrator

Thumbs up

Chris is keeping busy.
    You'll be seeing brass in your sleep.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

reloader choice

Do you or others use a Dillon reloader? I understand they are pretty good with there no BS guarantee

Assistant Administrator
    Many use Dillon - and that is probably about the ideal.

I started so long ago - probably near 30 years now, that I have not changed from LEE. I started that way for economy reasons but these days have added many powder measures and turrets to hold all my dies so, cal change is very quick and easy.

I use a coupla single stations too - for rifle, capping de-capping etc at times, as well as using the main single for factory crimp for some ammo - large cal handgun and rifle.
    Chris - P95

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links