Defensive Carry banner

2500+ reloads - and counting!

3K views 24 replies 15 participants last post by  ELCruisr 
#1 ·
Not defensive per se - but practice for same! Just added some more tonight and progress is becoming ''useful''!

Rear left - 750 .357 mag (250 more to do)
Rear right - 650 .38 spl (probably more to come)
Middle left - 550 9mm (fiddly buggers but another 400 or so be handy)
Middle right - 450 .45 acp (need to do another 400)
Large box and ass'd pouches (cosmetics pouches actually :wink:) - an assortment of 45-70 including some experimentals. About 150.

Yet to do cals - 44 mag when bullets arrive - probably 500 ........ .454 when time, about 200 top loads ....... might try some 7.62x25 and finally, need to brew a goodly number of .223's but, that'll be tedious.

Why the post? I am feeling pleased :smilez: Another coupla weeks of pickin' at it might see it all done.

See less See more
#2 ·
Yeah, but in a couple of weeks you should have a big pile of spent brass that needs loaded again.

Looks like you have been busy.

I need to get into reloading.

#3 ·
Having been so darned lazy for months, in fact - the idea is to reload to such a degree that approx half of the qty per cal is kept as ''buffer''. Meaning, once brass ''released'' from part use, more reloading!

I have for ages been running down way lower than desired ... before buying or reloading. So, stock must remain adequate at all times even with use.

I actually have buckets of brass so if I loaded them all I'd be swimmin' in the stuff :18:

Do seriously consider reloading yourself ........ you are young enough that over time you can gradually set up - and then build a stock of consumables. From then on you can be independent if need be.

#4 ·
Do seriously consider reloading yourself ........ you are young enough that over time you can gradually set up - and then build a stock of consumables. From then on you can be independent if need be.
I save do try to save brass, and have piles built up in .45ACP and LC, .30-30, .38 and .357, .223, and 7.62X39. The only problem is that for the past 4 years I have lived a kind of transitory lifestyle, never staying in the same residence for more than a year, and haven't really had room (I can't imagine what would have happened if I reloaded in the dorms ).

My future job will require me to be even more transitory, and many of my firearms will have to remain at my parent's house during my time in it as well. I will continue to save brass however, and once I settle down, will set up for reloading.

However, a .45-70 has always been on my list of wants, and from what I have been told for that I pretty much need to reload to get maximum potential.

#6 ·
Buckeye - understand your problem but - you have made a good start just by accumulating brass!

Over time you might be able to get some simple stuff first - single station and some dies - maybe start on some 38 spl at your folk's place when feasable. Time will come I am sure when you will be more settled and can get into it more - but don't let your present transitory pattern stop you from preparing.

However, a .45-70 has always been on my list of wants, and from what I have been told for that I pretty much need to reload to get maximum potential.
Indeed yes for sure. Factory Rem 45-70 for example is the ''safe'' stuff ... 25,000 pressure probably and OK for trap door. I load for the mid and high range (30,000 and 35,000) pressure ranges ..... so I can enjoy the BFR and some ''Buffalo'' loads thru my Ruger #1.

#8 ·
Ah, I must hang my head in shame and get busy. My stock of .45 reloads is down to about 150 now. Plenty of empty cases though....

#10 ·
That does it! I'm inspired!

I'm gonna get my Rockchucker Press out and set it up. Then I need to get some new dies, and a digital scale, and a case tumbler, and I'm sure a bunch of other cool accessories that have come along since the last time I used it. And a nice bolt gun in 7 x 57, since I already have the dies for it (there's always a good reason to buy another weapon).

#11 ·
Congrats, I figure I am just over 3,000 rds of 9mm and .45acp. Now I just have to get started on my .455 Webely stuff. It's a good feeling to have your very own bullet go BANG!

I am learning so much reloading, I am just realizing how much I don't know!!

#12 ·
Nice numbers Colin! One of my probs is spreading reloading over so many cals but - as I said, I keep pickin' away and another 200 is already added to the last total.

What are you using for your .455 reloads? I got 100 Fiocchi brass cases which I use - nice brass. I have ''cheated'' a bit for bullets and use as cast 230 LRN's same as I'd use for .45acp but not sized - so they finish up a smidgeon larger - just roll em in liquid Alox.

I've run out of the powder I used to use but a shotshell powder like Red Dot or Solo 1000 is useful - and just light loads .... at least, I keep mine light for the MkVI.

#24 ·
Do you or others use a Dillon reloader? I understand they are pretty good with there no BS guarantee
I have a Lee single stage because I enjoy the process of reloading.

I have a loaded Dillon XL650, only problem with the Dillon is that it is so fast that I can't afford to keep feeding it.

Dillon Warranty and Support are first rate.
Examples:
1) I wasn't happy with the powder measure operation so I called Dillon and was told to adjust the failsafe rod much tighter than the instructions stated and the advice was great.

2) I did a partial disassembly to remove a misformed primer from under the shell plate and lost a spring in the process. Dillon walked me through the process and sent me 3 springs to replace the one I lost.
No questions, no nothing except "we'll send it right out" and I got the springs 2 days later.

The Lee is nice, Simplicity and value in a package that allows me to load a few hundred 9mm a week.

The Dillon is simply superb, loading a thousand rounds of .45acp takes about an hour and a half.
One thing I really like about the Dillon is the powder charge sensor, it will beep if you have an under or over charge.

I've had no problems with either press and I check operation of all components including sensors at the start of each reloading session.

#15 ·
Many use Dillon - and that is probably about the ideal.

I started so long ago - probably near 30 years now, that I have not changed from LEE. I started that way for economy reasons but these days have added many powder measures and turrets to hold all my dies so, cal change is very quick and easy.

I use a coupla single stations too - for rifle, capping de-capping etc at times, as well as using the main single for factory crimp for some ammo - large cal handgun and rifle.

#16 ·
All of my brass is Fiochi, I have about 200 (some them still with the factory bullet in them!!)

I know there is a guy in my Province that brings in the Hornady brass, but I haven't seen it. I also have about 25 rds of old stuff, fired one of them, but they are Berden primed. I will post some pictures when I get a chance.

#17 ·
Here's mine, just some floor sweepings right now, I'm still trying to decide on what press to buy...

Big blue trashcan is mixed and not cleaned.
Five buckets are left to right .45, .40, .38, 9mm and .380.
Bags in front are .32 and .357SIG.

I'm not planning on loading all of those calibers but I save brass ever since I had 'the epiphany' a few months back.

Attachments

#18 ·
Haha - yep 0.02 - save all brass even cal's not needed by you.

Colin - I still also have a few of the old (very old) Berdan mil rounds - corrosive primers I do believe. What I have left I keep for historic value.

May have seen my MkVI before but the rounds there are my soft loads - Fiocchi brass and sl oversize .45 acp 230 grain LRNs.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

As of this evening my round count is up to 3,000 :smilez:.

Waiting on my .44 (.429) bullets and then it's a long session on .44 mag .... low on those.

#20 ·
Haha - nice correlation Richard LOL.

In fact after way too many months of very minimal reloading, the objective is to stock up even beyond usual needs ... and then try after shooting up a box or three - again reload those rather than (as I had been doing) letting stocks of reloads decrement to seriously low levels.

I also have two very old buddies coming over to stay early October - I want to have plenty of ammo kept aside for them - poor UK folks - they need a major blast when here so as to get some shooting enjoyment.

#21 ·
I thought about getting started. Looked into a NRA course. I shoot .38 .45 and 9mm. Would love to get into a nice reloading rig, just don't know enough about it yet.

#22 ·
Start small and simple - single stage even - and build from there. Once you get into it (and hooked) you'll never look back :smilez:

#25 ·
+1 on the Dillon warranty. I have a used Square Deal B. Sent it in as it was worn out ( as in 10's of thousands of rounds run through it) and they rebuilt it for $30 including shipping. New dies, all moving parts, the works. Handle broke 6 months later and a a free new one in 3 days.

Sending it in for rebuild they said if I had said nothing about me being the third owner it would have been free. Sorry but at least I'm honest!

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.