Lee Pro 1000 9mm

This is a discussion on Lee Pro 1000 9mm within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Ok, I have looked at some of our other posts regarding the Lee Pro 1000 reloading press and the conscious seems to be that most ...

Thread: Lee Pro 1000 9mm

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar

Lee Pro 1000 9mm

Ok, I have looked at some of our other posts regarding the Lee Pro 1000 reloading press and the conscious seems to be that most are happy with it. The price looks good on Midway's site and It can be found cheaper on Ebay.

I plan on reloading 9mm and 45acp. What kind of savings should I expect to see here? Is it worth it?

Anyone have a breakdown on the #'s? What does it cost to reload a 100 rounds of 9mm or 45acp.

I was also looking at the Load Master. I don't plan on reloading for long guns. Is there a major different in these two loaders?

I have no doubt that I need to get a book and do some reading. I just want to know if it's even worth it to start looking.

Thanks
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

2. Remove Ads

If you can dig up your bullet, powder, and primer costs, you can do a comparison with this calculator.
    http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
    I just did one one mine, I'm not saving very much from my commercial loader's prices, but plan on getting involved in some group purchases of primers/bullets to do better.
    What Would Gumby Do?

I use the 1000 for 9mm and .38 Special. For 9mm I have settled on VV N320 for powder, CCI Primers and low cost plated or moly 147gr bullets. After 5818 rounds made, my cost is $5.73 for 50 rounds.

I like reloading for a few reasons. I shoot USPSA and it allows me to create a load just for me. It helps keep my ammo costs down. I enjoy it because it's relaxing.

$$$$

A very significant savings in your cost can be found if you cast your own bullets.Have you considered this?

The way to save big, if you are not casting your own bullets, is to buy in bulk. Loading 9mm with plated bullets, federal primers, and bullseye powder I was loading for about nine cents per round. Now I would buy bullets with a couple of friends and my cut was one thousand bullets. I would also get at least a thousand primers at a time. The big thing about the primers is you have to pay a hazardous materials fee of like $20 when you ship them UPS. If you dont figure that into your price, you might pay more for primers on line than at a local shop.

Assistant Administrator
    Much can be down to how long you choose to amortize your equipment. The set-up costs for reloading, including casting too perhaps ... can still be significant even if going the Lee route.

If however you regard the gear as ''present to self'' - or even better - present from wife! ........ the cost can be allowed to take back seat. I have reloaded for near 30 years and altho I have bought extra gear over time - have in a sense paid for it a few times by now.

Other factor is time - IMO you must reload in what you can call leisure time so - don't cost it. Then this comes down to materials/consumables. I am dead lucky to have about an hour away a place that sells close to wholesale prices . If in particular, travel takes me near then I not only spend little extra on gas but save that darned Hazmat fee.

I haven't cast as much due to laziness but - let's consider my .44 mag reloads which I am ready to do when bullets arrive.

Bullets, 240 grain SWC hardcast - $75/1000 shipped. (7.5 cents each) (Bulk buy as much as possible - and BTW lead has gone up too again)

Powder - N-110 ... cost approx $40 for 2Lbs.

Load will be 21.5 grains so - powder jug will do 650 rounds ...... thus per round cost = 6 cents approx.

Primers let's say 2c each. I already have the brass.

So - 7.5+6+2 = bit over 15c a pop. So 100 rounds will be near $16.00. Well I haven't bought any factory in a wee while but IIRC my reload cost is approx 50% of factory.

Let's consider .45acp. My charge weight of 4.8 grains equates to a cost of 1.37 cents per charge .. plus my 2c primer and then bullet? Hmmm forget price but say about 4 cents in my case. Cost per round is therefore around 7.5c a pop. Making 50 rounds $7.50. Now with prices up even WWB or UMC has crept I think somewhat above $10 and so I still save a bit and more important have a load I choose.

If casting possible then as long as you can scrounge up some wheelweights and lead and maybe even some plumber's solder from scrap - all you put in to casting is time . which is quite a bit in fact if lubesizing as well.

Overall - IMO yes you save - bigger the cal bigger the saving ....... if 20 rounds of Hornady .454 cost me $20 - which they did - I know even using nice XTP bullets in reloads - I cut the cost back hugely. Same with my 45-70 rounds ... just the load I wish and reasonable saving.

I have even resumed loading 9mm because of factory being more expensive but the margin saved there is still fairly small.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Distinguished Member Array BIG E's Avatar
    Well I think that answers it for me. I plan on getting into IDPA. I have a 9mm that I bought for the occasion and it looks like I would be better off to just purchase 9mm rounds in bulk at the gun shows.

If I ever start shooting my .45 more I will have to give it another look see. It just seems like it will take me forever to recoup my initial investment.

I really appreciate everyones input and cost breakdowns.
    Don't hit at all if it is honorably possible to avoid hitting; but never hit soft!

-- Theodore Roosevelt --

Links