Latest 44 mag reloads

This is a discussion on Latest 44 mag reloads within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Originally Posted by rocky Should be a great hunting round. Looking good w/ the pic too. .44 is so expensive to buy off the shelf ...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Latest 44 mag reloads

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Should be a great hunting round. Looking good w/ the pic too. .44 is so expensive to buy off the shelf , I don't shoot mine all that much. Luckily I have a similar gun in .22 LR.
    Can't justify reloading for the .44 , as it is my hunting pistol only.
    Seems like you could reload .480 Ruger for a similar price as the .44 Mag and it's a lot more gun without a lot more recoil. I love my .480 Ruger SRH... a real thumper with .454 knock-down capabilities but more manageable recoil that lets you get back on target quicker for round #2+.

Brian

2. Remove Ads

I've always loaded my 300 XTPs to the top cannelure - but only because I didn't have any other data. I think N-110 data is based off the lower cannelure though. I'm thinking of seating farther out and working up some loads with Lil'Gun and H110 - what kind of velocities are you getting with the N-110?

I hope that XTP picture labeled .452 was just a typo...might do bad things to your gun otherwise.

When I started reloading for my Bisley Hunter I got a few different jacketed 300s to try out - I like them, but hardcast lead with a big meplat is easier to load, and gives better performance as far as I can tell. Cast Performance 320s are my new favorite.

Austin

Assistant Administrator
    Austin - no worries - the XTP pic is now corrected - I was reloading for .454 with XTP's when I added the text to that one, and was thinking .452!!

Without notes to hand my velocities with 300 weight should be around 1050 - A full max dose of N-110 should make 1100. With 240's then looking for the 1400 region. Results from N-110 should be close to H-110.

I have some Lil'Gun and want to try it out sometime. I am stoking my .454's right now with H-110.

I certainly with .44 mag make much greater use of hardcasts overall .... reserving the XTP stuff for lever rifle or revo hunting. Not sure re cannelure choice on the 300 relative to N-110 - but my charge would be mega compressed if I seated to top one .. and so used bottom which leaves me just good on COL to suit SRH and M629.

I keep the 240 XTP's at normal COL for lever use... 300's revo only.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

why would you have to use jacketed ammo for the marlin? should still work just fine with cast rounds.

Assistant Administrator
    palm - my Marlin is one with micro-groove rifling - it has similar appearance to that you'll find in most 22's.

Unless I can make and load some oversize cast bullets there is the possibility/probablity they will not engrave well enough and maybe just strip off lead on the way thru. So - best stick with jackets which will take finer engraving and yet still ''bite'' enough to get the spin. I have no measurements to quote but, say std rifling will engrave to depth of maybe 1.5 thou, the micro might only do so to half a thou ... not deep at all.

I prefer std rifling always but had a chance on this lever and otherwise am very content with it.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

i will have to do some more research on the micro grooving but i read somewhere where it said should shoot cast bullets just fine. again will have to do some more research and i will see if i can put a link on it if i find something important.

ok after a little research there is a way to get cast bullets to work but as you mentioned you need to get the bullets "slightly" oversized to get more bit ont he bullet. as i said i was not 100% so i did my homework. C- =oP

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Links