Buying used reloading equipment, good idea?

This is a discussion on Buying used reloading equipment, good idea? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm looking on eBay at some reloading presses that are not new but appear to be in good condition. Good prices and lots of extras. ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Buying used reloading equipment, good idea?

Buying used reloading equipment, good idea?

I'm looking on eBay at some reloading presses that are not new but appear to be in good condition. Good prices and lots of extras.

But, as the equipment is used it could be a lemon that is faulty in some way, same as anything else on eBay.

I've never bought a press before, what should I beware of in a used one as opposed to a new one? What sort of questions should the seller be answering?

I'm looking at the Lee 1000 in particular but information on presses in general is equally useful.

Thanks.

Thanks.

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Not sure about Lee. I know Dillon seems to have a no questions asked warranty policy, though. I bought a used MEC loader, and it has worked fine.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

1943 - 2009
    Are you looking at progressive or single stage presses? Buying a used progressive could be chancy, since they are more complex. It's been my experience that wrecking or damaging a quality single stage press like an RCBS or Lyman is extremely difficult, so I would normally be comfortable buying one, if I could inspect it first. Kinda hard to do on e-bay.

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

Yes, the Lee 1000 is progressive, I did foresee there being more issues with them, just not sure what to look for, thanks.

Senior Moderator
    Lee's are at the bottom of the list when it comes to progressives.

Many people seem to have a hard time getting them to run right.

They are cheap, but you get exactly what you pay for. I have several friends that used them for awhile then sold them to buy a Dillon progressive.

It could be that someone just otugrew theirs and they are upgrading.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I was fortunate to be able to buy used reloading stuff from an estate. I got plenty of extra goodies, brass, powder, primers, etc, etc. Plus, the son was able to give me some instruction on the process. Check your local 'Penny Pincher' type classified paper for stuff or place your own 'wanted' ad.

I bought a single stage press, which may be all you need. I bought it this spring and so far I have loaded well over 1000 rounds of 9mm and .38 and a couple of hundred large caliber rifle cartridges.

I enjoy the quiet down-time reloading ammo with the oldies playing on the radio in the background.

I have a Lee Pro 1000 and have used it for years for 45 Colt and 10mm. It works fine for me. I do see how it could be made easier to use but did not then or now feel like dropping the $$$ for a Dillon.

Go to the Lee website and download the manual for it. It is not that complex a piece of machinery and you can buy replacement parts for just about any part of it. Depending on the price it could be a good deal although a new Lee Pro 1000 in the caliber of your choice is not an expensive thing to buy.

Odds are it is from someone who has upgraded to a Dillon or other higher end press.

Distinguished Member Array 4my sons's Avatar
    I haven't moved up to above the single stage press yet, but Dies on E-Bay are questionable, Check out Midway USA for pricing before you buy anything used. If you have, or know someone with an FFL even a C&R, you get a healthy discount on Midway in addition to there already good pricing.
    "fundamental principle of American law that a government and its agents are under no general duty to provide public services, such as police protection, to any individual citizen." [Warren v. District of Columbia,(D.C. Ct. of Ap., 1981)]
    If I have to explain it, you wouldn't understand

Senior Moderator
    I bought a used Lee single stage press 6 years ago and I've had no problems.

I would check out Lee's website and see what type of warrenty they have and check out the operations manual.
    “You can sway a thousand men by appealing to their prejudices quicker than you can convince one man by logic.”

― Robert A. Heinlein,

VIP Member
    +1 with 4my son. Lee dies are too cheap brand new to take a chance. I have no experience with the progressives so I won't comment.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I already have looked on MidwayUSA, in fact it's Midway's discounted Lee presses that inspired me to look and see what eBay had.
    So I know roughly how much I am willing to spend.
    But then (on eBay) there are presses with 9mm, .38 and .45 dies included and still less than the cost of a new one. Shipping is realistic too, I always watch out for extortionate shipping.

I will just see how this goes, plenty on there to watch and learn what the median eBay price is.

Thanks.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Honestly single stage presses , dies ( uppon inspection by good pics or hand ) , priming tools , and other simple items i am not afraid of on used reloading supplys , I stay away from scales , powder mesures ( electronic ) progressive presses ( unless i am buying where i know the history of the press ) and other complex items . There is a time and place to be frugal , other times its best to just buy once and not cry twice . Just my opinion YMMV
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    Honestly single stage presses , dies ( uppon inspection by good pics or hand ) , priming tools , and other simple items i am not afraid of on used reloading supplys , I stay away from scales , powder mesures ( electronic ) progressive presses ( unless i am buying where i know the history of the press ) and other complex items . There is a time and place to be frugal , other times its best to just buy once and not cry twice . Just my opinion YMMV
    Ha, but it's your opinion I want.

Thanks.

The only USED progressive reloading press I would buy is a Dillon. If something breaks or doesn't work right, They 'll fix it 100%.

Quote Originally Posted by sass20485 View Post
    The only USED progressive reloading press I would buy is a Dillon. If something breaks or doesn't work right, They 'll fix it 100%.
    Very true, and I'm very aware of that.

This is my first press, the Dillon will follow once I decide what I need from a reloading set-up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links