My .45 reloads.

This is a discussion on My .45 reloads. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just got some new bullets in from Magnus Bullets 230 grain FMJ. I pushing them with 5.7 grains of W231. I brought some down ...

Thread: My .45 reloads.

My .45 reloads.

I just got some new bullets in from Magnus Bullets

230 grain FMJ. I pushing them with 5.7 grains of W231. I brought some down to the range to test before I go crazy on the press and find I have a junk practice load.

Distance: 10 yards.
    Firearm: Colt 1991A1 Commander
    Shot two handed off rests.

I'm VERY HAPPY with the results. The picture below is two 5 shot groups. The lower was the first group 6 o'clock hold. The second was lollypopping the X. I saw no point in testing any more rounds. They'll do the job if I do my part.

'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

2. Remove Ads

Looks good to me course the 231 its not hard to find a accurate load with it

1943 - 2009
    Nothing wrong with those groups!

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

VIP Member
    Nice shooting

Those bullets sure are expensive though! I just looked at the site...you might consider lead. Unless money is not a factor.....but for most reloaders, it is. JMO

Austin

Quote Originally Posted by aus71383 View Post
    Those bullets sure are expensive though! I just looked at the site...you might consider lead. Unless money is not a factor.....but for most reloaders, it is. JMO

Austin
    Thanks Austin, I'm not afraid of input or constructional criticism. Opinions are why we're all here. We share our experience and hope someone may benefit from it.

Money is always a factor and I've been using lead exclusively for the past few years. My cost would be $5.35/ box of 50 230 grain LRN and only $5/box of 50 if I went with 200 LRN. I may do that next time, but I hate cleaning the guns after shooting lead. The FMJ work out to $7.63/box of 50. That's still just about half the price of factory locally.
    Last edited by stoneypete; July 17th, 2007 at 02:45 PM.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

Lead Moderator
    Check out Berry's plated bullets. I have had good luck with not getting alot of lead fouling , yet they are cheaper than other FMJ bullets.
    http://www.berrysmfg.com/categories/2-0.php
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I'm right there at $5 a box with 200 LSWCs myself. I don't mind cleaning at all but I never get any leading with my loads. I tried some Rainier plated 200 FPs and got good results. They are quite a bit cheaper than real FMJs the main downside is the lead is sooo soft. I like them because they're pretty but since I got such good results with lead I stuck with it.

Here's what I got:
    Mixed brass, WLP primers, 4.8gr Titegroup, Rainier 200 FP 1.250 OAL Lee FCD taper crimp set to .470 = 760 fps avg. extreme spread of 34 fps

Mixed brass, WLP primers, 4.8gr Titegroup, LaserCast 200 LSWC 1.250 OAL Lee FCD taper crimp set to .470 = 875 fps avg. extreme spread of 41 fps

There are lots of factors that go into leading....I'm by no means an expert - I've only reloaded maybe a few thousand rounds. Bullet diameter, bullet hardness, and type of powder are what comes to mind first.

Man am I long winded!

Austin

Links