Go/No-Go for reload kit purchase.

This is a discussion on Go/No-Go for reload kit purchase. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I want to make sure I have everything I need. I am looking at a single stage (for now) Lee Kit for $69 + the ...

Thread: Go/No-Go for reload kit purchase.

I want to make sure I have everything I need. I am looking at a single stage (for now) Lee Kit for $69 + the dies I need for $21

Press Kit

Dies for .38spl .357

What else do I need besides powder, casings, and bullets? Any special "make my life much easier" tools or equipment?

I will be picking up "Modern Reloading" later today at the bookstore.

Assistant Administrator
    You'll need some form of scales - ahh, see that is included, good. They are adequate for now but some RCBS or Lyman beam scales would be better later. Altho powder dippers are fine if used correctly there is nothing that will replace a good weighing system. You'll need some small pistol primers too.

You may see quoted drop weights for a powder and dipper (also for powder measure disks) but they need checked IMO. Keep loads below max - usual deal is start at 10% below max and work up as needed.

Otherwise - get that book - and read well - it will help you add to your list of useful additions. What you have on order should do to kick off.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Go for it , It is a cheap intro to reloading where you really learn the basics . It will stand good stead untill you are ready to upgrade .. just like a first pistol . I just picked one up myself at a garage sale , I dont know if i will keep it or give it to a bud wanting to start someday .

Edited to add : The red line in a reloading manual is not like the red line on a car tach. STAY WELL CLEAR OF MAX LOADS .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post

STAY WELL CLEAR OF MAX LOADS .
    Well now I gotta try it.

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    Kav ... lol its your eyes , fingers , ect... do what ya want .. but max is max in the manuals for a reason . Hot rod rounds at your own expense , I am fortunate in that i only ruined a couple of rifles learning the lesson .

Edited to add , apparently there is a reason a Remington 22-250 load isnt rated at 4k+ fps lol .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Dial calipers so you can measure overall length. You can get them from Midway USA reasonably priced.
    kinetic bullet puller.
    More books. Any place that sells powder should have the freebie manufacturers pamphlets lying around.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Assistant Administrator
    Good thinking sisco - knew there was something bugging me! Indeed dial calipers are a good investment and just the job to monitor the OAL.

The kinetic puller too - inexpensive but handy if mistakes made. That device BTW - tho most probably know - is a hammer-like dealie and the round is placed in a holding collet and the other end whacked on a form surface. Inertia gradually pulls the bullet and that and powder drop out into the hollow interior.
    Chris - P95

VIP Member
    You are already familiar with Midway I see.

Scale:
    Frankford Arsenal Micro Reloading Electronic Powder Scale 750 Grain Capacity
    Love the little thing.

Besides the caliper I recommend a Case Length and Cartridge Overall Length die as a quick & dirty way to check your reload's dimensions.

Reloading trays are also a must you don't go around spilling stuff

How about tumblers & cleaning media?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Lead Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by P95Carry View Post
    The kinetic puller too - inexpensive but handy if mistakes made. That device BTW - tho most probably know - is a hammer-like dealie and the round is placed in a holding collet and the other end whacked on a form surface. Inertia gradually pulls the bullet and that and powder drop out into the hollow interior.
    I think Chris means WHEN mistakes are made. No doubt sooner or later you will need to pull a bullet or 2............or 3,4,5..........
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Reloading trays are a must. Boxes for the ammo would be nice - sometimes I just recycle the plastic bags from the produce department. Tumbler and media are a convenience thing - not really neccessary. You won't have to clean your dies as much if you clean your brass first - but you can clean it by hand if you want to save money.
    +1 Dial calipers and bullet puller.
    Buying your components ahead of time won't hurt anything - can't really go wrong with Unique, whatevers cheapest for primers and bullets to start out with is what I'd recommend.

Austin

VIP Member
    What about the workspace? You will need a solid bench to work on. 2x4Basics has a kit that allows you to build a bench that fits your space
    Also, containers for your equipment, components & bulk finished product. Go to a dollar store and get what you need there.

Silly as it seems, get a notebook just for reloading. Soon you will start experimenting with different charges & weights and it is smart to write down the combinations because your memory will fail you.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    smart to write down the combinations because your memory will fail you.
    Good point again - yep Miggy let me rewrite that .....smart to write down the combinations because your memory WILL fail you.

Also of course - write load data on each batch - MTM boxes are very handy for reloads but many other compartmentalized ammo boxes around.
    Chris - P95

Looks like you received plenty of good advice except for one: Take your time especially as a newbie and check alot of rounds, also make maybe 10-20 rounds at a time and test them so you won't have to go redoing hundreds of rounds at a time that aren't quite right.

Nothing wrong with the Lee, I use it to load my 9mm, no problem loading a few hundred rounds in a week.
    For my .45 I do use the Dillon but I load and shoot more .45.

Oh, one other thing - get the factory crimp die.
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

Sponsored Links