Bullet Pullers help

This is a discussion on Bullet Pullers help within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; A friend gave me some 300-400 rounds that need to be pulled because there are some problems either with no primers of suspect powder charges ...

Thread: Bullet Pullers help

VIP Member

Question Bullet Pullers help

A friend gave me some 300-400 rounds that need to be pulled because there are some problems either with no primers of suspect powder charges (I am guessing when you mess up with a progressive, you do it in serious amounts). Is there a method/tool other than the kinetic hammer/thing to accelerate the process? And if it is less noisy than banging the hell away, my wife and cats will be eternally gratefully!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Miggy - let me go check ----

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

OK what I use for large scale pulling is - a ''Forster products" bullet puller. The main item is a std 7/8" x 14 TPI thread (same as dies). It is put into a press and then you have to fit it with the specific cal collet. I have a number of collets for various cals.

Do a search and you should find some stockists. http://www.forsterproducts.com/ is their site BTW. Good investment IMO.

Point to note - I have had to pre-usage with some cals, squeeze down the collet a bit first so it sits properly on case mouth and so only grasps bullet. Still one-at-a-time deal but no banging and crashing. Needs some practice but then it gets easy.

HTH
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think that's the only option other than the kinetic type. I haven't heard of anything else. Good luck!

Austin

VIP Member
    Thanks!
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Cabellas sell a non-kinetic bullet puller. I never tried it so can't say how well it works.

Made by Hornady, it can supposedly pull 300 bullets in an hour.
    http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...lers&noImage=0
    PC has become the term for Political Cowardice.

I bought the Hornady press mounted puller when I needed to pull 500+ 357 rounds with questionable loads. This puller works great and was much faster than using a kinetic puller for that number of rounds. Make sure you see the "notes" section on that Cabela's listing as this puller does require the use of caliber specific collets.

Hoss
    Sig 239 SAS 40 S&W / Sig 239 9mm / Kahr PM-9 / Walther PPS .40 / Sig P-245 / Ruger LCP
    Beretta Tomcat / Walther PPK / BDA 380 / Taurus 85 / Kel-Tec PF-9 / Am. Derringer 357

NRA Life Member
    My Web Site

Administrator
    If they are rifle cartridges then just grab the bullet with a pair of pliers and wiggle it back and forth a few times and the bullet will easily come out of the cartridge case. It's perfectly safe to do.

It does not work with handgun cartridges because there is not much to grab onto and hold onto to lever it out.

.22 rimfire is also VERY easy. Grab the bullet with a good heavy pair of pliers and bend it sideways once and the bullet will pop right out.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

rcbs and forster mades a bullet puller that works with any signle stage press. i have the rcbs one and it works well. you can also look at the kinetic puller. i have one and i seem to use it the most if i have only several bullets to pull. but with the kinetic puller, powder and bullet will mix togeather in the tip. with the press style bullet pullers the bullet come out and the powder stays in the case. if i had lots of bullet to pull, then i would go with one of the named brand press type bullet puller.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I had the same issue from the wife and dog with my kinetic puller. Instead of beating it against the loading bench or floor, I took a 6# sledge hammer and hit the bullet puller against the face of the sledge. It made less noise and at the worst, it took only two whacks to remove 55 grain bullets from some .223 ammo. The heavier the bullet, the easier the job with a kinetic puller. It also doesn't mark the bullet like the collet type pullers do. To get around the mixing problem, just dump the powder and bullet in a cup, on a tray, etc. After you get a few, pick out the bullets and pour the powder into a container of your choice.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Buy a collet-type bullet puller. The kinetic (hammer) type sucks!

Links