reload?

reload?

This is a discussion on reload? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I don't know if this is the right place for this. I'm curious, Iv'e been thinking of getting into reloading for some time. With ammo ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reload?

reload?

I don't know if this is the right place for this. I'm curious, Iv'e been thinking of getting into reloading for some time. With ammo costs the way they are, even more so. I know all the expense of getting started and supplies etc. What I want to know is what is the cost of a box (50) rnds. Say, ,40 or .45. That is, if you have the stuff, what does a box cost to produce?

From the local source-http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=29213
    Other stuff, a start-
    http://www.handloads.com/calc/loadingCosts.asp
    In my VERY limited experience, I like my Dillon SDB. Seems easy enough for me, so it must be easy. www.dillonprecision.com Lots of people say a Hornady LNL is good too, but I just don't have any experience with it.
    I read till my eyes bled in the reloading section of www.brianenos.com
    What Would Gumby Do?

Assistant Administrator
    With WWB .45 acp up by over 50% I think it is - it is worth it for me to reload - even 9mm too. That said I long ago put my investment into equipment even tho just humble Lee stuff - and so I no longer amortize for that cost.

These days I think it is worth starting off - even tho you'll have set-up costs. In the long run with ammo not I am sure gonna get any cheaper ever again - it will pay off - plus you are in control of your loads. You may shoot more of course!!

If we say that .45 acp WWB now is $30 or more for a 100 box ... then we have a cost per round of around 33c. Well, I have plenty of cases (collected over time) - my primer is around 2c, the powder less than 2c - and a cast bullet which tho I cast is a bought one - call that let's say 10c (it's not that much in fact) .... for under 15c I have my round - approx saving (not allowing for my time) ..... a good 50% saving.

I don't cost my time reloading - never have . it has to be classed as ''hobby time''... savings get even bigger when I look at a .454 reload with a factory round now around $1 a pop - my reload comes out at 25c and that is with a spendy XTP bullet too!!

We have a few threads about reloading so a search will help accrue more info. Books are IMO vital - and ABC's of Reloading by Dean Grennell is a good start plus . 2nd Edition "modern Reloading" by Richard Lee. Good too if you can find another reloader so as to watch and learn that way too.

Oh yes - for practice ammo these days reloading is definitely way to go.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Right now, I can produce my .45ACP ammo for about $6 per 50 rounds; This is only because I have several thousand rounds of brass that I don't have to pay for. When I go to matches or practice at the range, I pick up around 100 rounds of lost brass everytime I go out so that saves money. I shoot .45 ACP mostly because the cases last longer than a whole lot of calibers. It is a low-pressure straight walled case, so you can make nice practice loads (200gr bullet around 850fps) that are easy on the brass and the gun. I will load that case at least 10-15 times before the case cracks, then I will throw it into a bucket. When the bucket fills, I take that to the range and give it to them for recycling. I don't reload tapered cases like the 9mm because you can only reload them 2 or three times before they will not chamber anymore. Besides, even with ammo prices as high as they are now, I still buy the wal-mart specials to shoot in IDPA matches.

As far as reloading goes, you can just about pay for the cost of the equipment with the money you will save in the first couple of thousand rounds. In actuality, though, it just means you will get to shoot more at the same cost. Do yourself a favor, and go to www.dillonprecision.com; Mike Dillon has great deals on his equipment, it is the best there is and he absolutely positively stands by his equipment, regardless of the cause of failure. I own a 550B press that I bought back in 1986, and the machine has loaded more than 200,000 rounds and is still going strong. I have had to replace powder charge bars, primer tube assemblies, and numerous other small parts over the years, and Dillon has replaced all of it at NO CHARGE! They even paid the shipping. How many companies can you say have this policy in America today? After 20 years?

There aren't many. So go buy yourself a reloader and have some fun....you will be glad you did.
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

VIP Member
    I did a quick & Cheap cost analysis post with 9mm you may want to read in this thread.
    http://www.defensivecarry.com/vbulle...&highlight=lee
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Thanks for all the info. Seems you can make quality reloads for half the money. (once you start up) Also seems like a way to keep me out of trouble a few hours a week. I'm going to continue my research. I will start with a visit to my local Library.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    I don't know if this is the right place for this. I'm curious, Iv'e been thinking of getting into reloading for some time. With ammo costs the way they are, even more so. I know all the expense of getting started and supplies etc. What I want to know is what is the cost of a box (50) rnds. Say, ,40 or .45. That is, if you have the stuff, what does a box cost to produce?
    .45 ACP will cost 11-15 cents per round to load. Buy in bulk. Get it from powder valley.

It seems like a good way for me to stay out of trouble I'm reading up and dropping hints to everyone I know for Christmas.

Quote Originally Posted by Argus View Post
    It seems like a good way for me to stay out of trouble I'm reading up and dropping hints to everyone I know for Christmas.
    Either tell them SPECIFICALLY what you want, or ask for gift cards. You know how they never get you a shirt that fits right? They'll screw up on the reloading stuff, too.

Mmmm, good point.

My wife LIVES with me, and can't get it right.

Yeah when it comes to hunting stuff. She's learned to get certificates. I'll let my 24 year old son know what I want.

Midway, has a wonderful wish list page. You put what you want on there, and then people can go check it and order what you place on the wish list.

Get a big tarp if your going to be shooting auto's and reloading, lol.

Revolvers are much easier to keep up with the brass.

It is definately worth the money for almost any of the equipment, and is quite fun to do. It forces you to learn about ballistics and other things lots of shooters take for granted. And for most handguns, you get to shoot for half the cost of factory loads, well that just means you can shoot a heck of alot more.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Quote Originally Posted by farronwolf View Post
    Midway, has a wonderful wish list page. You put what you want on there, and then people can go check it and order what you place on the wish list.
    Yeah, I found out about that AFTER I got married. Woulda been PERFECT for our wedding registry! I got in trouble, as it is.

My wife wouldn't let me have the little scanner gun doohickey, and, since this was my first marriage and her second, I told her, "Hey, you already had YOUR wedding!" Went over like calf crap on the carpet.

I am severely mechanically challenged and have been able to operate a Dillon 550 with only set up help from fellow shooters. I load only .40 and .45 so I keep it simple.

Usually there is someone at a match to sell primers and powder thus saving a haz mat fee. Picking up brass saves that expense. (Pick up everything and sort it at home. If you don't use it you can trade it.)

Bullets have been going up fast as hell. I use Raniers and get them from Cabela's, Precision (No shipping), and Midway.

Bottom line cost to get started about $650. Savings per box of fifty $6 so in slightly over 100 boxes you pay for the equipment and if you do not like it someone will always buy it.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links