45 Colt. Fresh off the press

This is a discussion on 45 Colt. Fresh off the press within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I just switched my press over to 45 Colt. I'm starting with 255gr bullets over 5.0grs of Titegroup. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750 FPS, ...

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree80Likes

Thread: 45 Colt. Fresh off the press

I just switched my press over to 45 Colt.
    I'm starting with 255gr bullets over 5.0grs of Titegroup. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750 FPS, which is supposedly what my Fiocchi CAS loads shoot at. I will chrony a few factory loads, then mine. Maybe I'll load a few more first. I don't want to be like Barney and head out back with one cartridge

I'm going to have to point the gun at the ground and pull the trigger with this load, 'cuz there sure ain't a lot of powder in there. TG is supposed to be non-position sensitive though. We shall see...
    Attached Images  

One of these times I'm going to get close to what the book says and faint.
    The latest Hornady manual was nowhere close to what I actually got. Instead of 750 FPS, I was down around 605. Funny thing was, the factory Fiocchi was also close to that at 610. Not the 750 they claim. I'll give them a break though, as they don't say revolver or rifle. My Hornady manual specifically said pistol. Maybe they used a Buntline for testing. I was using a 7-1/2" Schofield clone.

I tried some at 5.4grs and got up to 650 FPS. I think I'll split the difference and load a bunch at 5.2 and see how they do accuracy-wise. Try them out of the carbine, too. No leading to speak of and I didn't see any unburnt powder. A snake got my bore mirror shiny again.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

For what purpose are these loads intended, PA? If you want CAS ammo, it seems like you are good to go. For a little more horsepower, I would be tempted to ditch the Titegroup for a slower powder.
    PAcanis and msgt/ret like this.
    "There are some ideas that are so wrong, only a very intelligent person could believe them." - George Orwell

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Quote Originally Posted by ETXhiker View Post
    For what purpose are these loads intended, PA? If you want CAS ammo, it seems like you are good to go. For a little more horsepower, I would be tempted to ditch the Titegroup for a slower powder.
    Yep, CAS loads and plinking.
    I still might go to a slower, bulkier powder. I was hoping to use my Quick Measure, but it won't dial down lower than 6.2 grs of TG. I'm not loading a bunch, but I didn't want to have to scoop and trickle each load...
    From early testing though the TG seems pretty clean and is burning well. It's a LOT cleaner than the Clays I am using in my 38 Special CAS loads.
    ETXhiker and bmcgilvray like this.

TG is what I use for plinking and Cowboy loads. But I shoot a 160 grain bullet. The paper targets don't even notice the 100 grain difference! I have not run them over a crono to see what they do but it is an accurate load that hasn't failed to knock down any steel targets yet! Good luck DR
    PAcanis and bmcgilvray like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dangerranger View Post
    TG is what I use for plinking and Cowboy loads. But I shoot a 160 grain bullet. The paper targets don't even notice the 100 grain difference! I have not run them over a crono to see what they do but it is an accurate load that hasn't failed to knock down any steel targets yet! Good luck DR
    How many grains are you loading, DR?

Sponsor
    I actually use 2400 for my 45 Colt loads. I keep them midrange and the 2400 gives me very consistent and reproducible results.

I went to all X-treme plated bullets for everything but my Charter Arms Bulldog 44 special. Give that a shot (pun intended) if the spirit moves you, PA.

Senior Moderator
    It's odd - for some cartridges, the Hornady book shows some pretty hot loads, with velocities above what other source publish, and then some other loads show up as ultra conservative.

The Lee manual publishes a lot of data which is not necessarily their own but rather a compilation of what's "out there." The Lee data helps me put upper and lower boundaries on what to expect from a given recipe.

I load a LOT of Titegroup as it meters really well, and the light charges means it's economical. For my action shooting with .45 and 9mm, it's pretty close to perfect. But for the revolver cartridges, albeit not powder-puff loads, I find it has an annoyingly sharp recoil characteristic which likely results from its fast burn rate. I've taken to loading Unique for the .38 and .44 Specials, and I'm quite happy with the results. This might be obvious to some, but the warmer the load with Unique, the cleaner it seems to burn.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

If I was you, I'd just trash them big ol slow movin bullets..didn't ya get the memo that if they ain't magnumized they ain't no good?

Heck, my brother shot a big doe last year at 15 yards and it just bounced right off:)
    True story! You just read it on the inet:)
    " Blessed is that man, who when facing death, thinks only of his front sight"
    -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by PAcanis View Post
    I just switched my press over to 45 Colt.
    I'm starting with 255gr bullets over 5.0grs of Titegroup. I'm shooting for somewhere around 750 FPS, which is supposedly what my Fiocchi CAS loads shoot at. I will chrony a few factory loads, then mine. Maybe I'll load a few more first. I don't want to be like Barney and head out back with one cartridge

I'm going to have to point the gun at the ground and pull the trigger with this load, 'cuz there sure ain't a lot of powder in there. TG is supposed to be non-position sensitive though. We shall see...
    We're all hoping you'll line 'em up along the kitchen window sill to cool-off, PA, just like Granny (not Shooter Granny) used to do with her apple pies.

That would be very sweet !
    PAcanis, glockman10mm and Old Man like this.
    - testing was halted after a brief kinetic episode -

Quote Originally Posted by glockman10mm View Post
    If I was you, I'd just trash them big ol slow movin bullets..didn't ya get the memo that if they ain't magnumized they ain't no good?

Heck, my brother shot a big doe last year at 15 yards and it just bounced right off:)
    True story! You just read it on the inet:)
    I have already made a mental note not to shoot any frying pans with them.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    For CAS loads in .45 Colt I used Red Dot, mostly because I had an 8lb keg from reloading shotgun.

6.5 grains under a 250 cast gave me just under 800 FPS in my 5 1/2" Colt SAA and 750 in my 4 3/4"

Cool side effect was it even smoked a little.........

Back when I started shooting CAS and they used "calibrated" steel knockdowns at just about every stage to keep the loads honest, the 250 at about 800 had zero issues taking them down.

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

Yep, I think I'll try some Unique and maybe some 700X.
    Even though I'm pushing a heavy bullet, I feel there is excessive recoil in my handguns. And these are big heavy handguns. I'm also not happy with my ES. For weighing each load individually I am getting too much variance. Which could be a result of other things, but I'm betting on the nature of Titegroup. Or possibly the lack of volume is affecting ignition.

FWIW, 5.2grs of TG is giving me:
    900 fps, 16" Winchester Trapper
    730 fps 8" Remington Conversion
    625 fps 7" Schofield

I'm thinking that Schofield is losing too much velocity. Maybe the cylinder gap is too large or something. Not a good test gun.
    bmcgilvray likes this.

Just tried Unique in the Schofield.
    5.7grs, which the book says should give me 750 fps, gave me 511 No wonder felt recoil was pretty darn light.
    Bumped it up to 6.2 and got 568 fps... which is still incredibly slow, but if my numbers from above hold true I should be pushing 668 out of my 1858 Remington, which isn't too bad I guess for a plinking load. And it was pleasant to shoot. It's not like I could see the bullet either, lol.
    More importantly, it shot pretty darn straight
    Three shots at eight yds.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails 45 Colt. Fresh off the press-3at8.jpg  

HoustonB77 likes this.

I loaded some 45 Colt with 5.5grns Hogdon's Trail Boss under a 255 soft cast bullet. I got an average of 698fps with a spread of +/- 8fps from a 4 5/8" Blackhawk.
    Recoil was very pleasant, more of a push than a kick. Not sure on how clean/dirty they'll be because I only shot 10 rounds.

One nice thing about Trail Boss is the case was 3/4 full. No chance of a double charge that way.
    PAcanis likes this.
    Democracy:
    Two wolves and a lamb voting on what to have for dinner.
    Freedom:
    A well armed lamb contesting the vote.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links