Defensive Carry banner

Ok I'm going to start reloading..need help

2K views 19 replies 15 participants last post by  fatboy97 
#1 ·
I will start reloading .40s&w for the first time when my toys arrive in the mail. What is the best powder that is clean, versatile (tons of data), and not too pricey? Primer ideas too would be appreciated...:smiley2:

#2 ·
#3 · (Edited by Moderator)
Welcome to the club! dont know what reloading machine you bought, but if you bought a dillon, great. If you didn't, thats OK, after you get a little more familiar with the art of loading your own, you might want to consider it. Dillon also has an extensive inventory of supplies and other stuff, not to mention some really nice catalogs. especially the sales people gracing the covers. Go to their website and you will see what I mean......

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

BTW, Good Luck!

#6 ·
You'll enjoy it..I still remember the feeling when you first shoot your own batch and feeling relieved it didn't blow up your gun!

Can't help ya w/.40 cal I only have done 45 and 44 mag so far.

#8 ·
For .40 S&W I use Rainier plated bullets and Titegroup with mixed range brass and some Starline brass I bought, and WSP primers. I think I use 4.6 or 4.8 grains of powder - just had a toe surgery and don't feel like getting up to look.
Take it slow. When you're first setting up the dies you'll probably crush a few cases - no big deal. When you're adjusting the seating/crimp die don't use powder (or even primers) until you have it just right. Use your barrel as a cartridge guage - the dummy rounds should drop right in.

Austin

#9 ·
Some Advice

Been reloading for over 30 years, it is relaxing, time away from the stress of the family, will save you money, (that is one the equipment price has been offset by the savings). and is fun. Some Advice..

Just do not go with Cheap and mistake it for economics, buy a quality press the first time you will never regret it. (no we will not go into the Blue, Green, Red debate)

Read as much as you can, get reloading manuals, several different ones are available, and I keep two currents ones on hand.

If you have a friend that reloads go watch them for a spell to get a idea of process flow.

Haunt the local gun store that sells reloading stuff, but do not feel obligated to buy their stuff just because you walked in the door, Shop around.

Good scales for powder, dies, and measuring tools are essential, case cleaners can come later.

Go progressive.

Have a spot that is your reloading area, a good bench, and lighting are a must.

Every one has their favorite primers, I have had good luck with Winchester, and CCI.

Most of all relax and enjoy, and make time for your hobbies.

#10 ·
WSF is very good in the 40. WST works well. Unique is alright but meters like crap and is dirty. Power Pistol is great for high velocity loads, Longshot is great too.

#11 ·
Actually Unique has been reformulated the dirty was from the graphite coating of the powder, and after loading literally hundreds of thousands of rounds with the stuff I never had a metering problem but it might just be the type of equipment I used. Yeah I am a Unique fan for most pistol that is.

#15 ·
Titegroup has been good for me - its all I've used in massive quantities. I've done some Blue Dot and Unique for hot .45 ACPs and .40s - worked well. For my big guns (.44 mag and .45 LC Rugers) I like H110 a lot but have started experimenting with Lil'gun - its supposed to take lower end loads better. I know it does well with the top end stuff! I put a 320 LBT out of my .44 at around 1300 fps and even with the scope on it my wrist was sore after a couple shots. I think I'll slow them down to around 1150 or so.

Austin

#16 ·
i use accurate #5 and/or titegroup for the 40 cal. #5 is somewhat dirty when you shoot 500 rounds at one time. i have also been using #5 in 9mm and 45 acp. got a good deal on 25 pounds this summer. after i shoot it up i am going back to titegroup.

#17 ·
Buy a book. Take it slow. Plan on trying different powders and bullets because you gun may like one over the other. I get much better accuracy from my .45 using a 90% of max powder charge of Bullseye and a 200 gr. bullet, while my .44 does not like Bullseye with any weight bullet.

When I lived in CA I was told to never carry reloads in a carry gun. The anti-gun prosecutors would try to nail you for loading custom "death" rounds. For the carry gun I would load something that shoots just like the commercial round I carry in the gun.

Lots of other good advice previously given by others, but that's my $0.02.

#20 ·
I will be buying my reloading equipment in the next week or two, so I've been posting a few different questions, including questions about .40S&W powders. So I guess what I'm saying is that I'm no expert.

A friend who has been shooting for a very long time has been using TiteGroup to shoot 9mm. A number of people that have responded to a few posts on different gun forums have recommended TiteGroup for both 9mm and .40S&W. It's clean, versatile (tons of data), and not too pricey. I'm planning on using it for both 9mm and .40S&W.

Check it out at http://www.hodgdon.com/

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.