Ok I'm going to start reloading..need help

This is a discussion on Ok I'm going to start reloading..need help within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I will start reloading .40s&w for the first time when my toys arrive in the mail. What is the best powder that is clean, versatile ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ok I'm going to start reloading..need help

I will start reloading .40s&w for the first time when my toys arrive in the mail. What is the best powder that is clean, versatile (tons of data), and not too pricey? Primer ideas too would be appreciated...

Research

Go to the book store, to a place they sell reloading manuals, or wherever, and do research on the powder manufacturer's web sites.

http://www.hodgdon.com/

http://www.alliantpowder.com/

http://www.accuratepowder.com/

http://www.vihtavuori-lapua.com/

Read, read, read. The reloading manuals have well tested loads that are great to start with. From there, once you get the knack then you can start to build your own loads, but go with the tried and true first.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Welcome to the club! dont know what reloading machine you bought, but if you bought a dillon, great. If you didn't, thats OK, after you get a little more familiar with the art of loading your own, you might want to consider it. Dillon also has an extensive inventory of supplies and other stuff, not to mention some really nice catalogs. especially the sales people gracing the covers. Go to their website and you will see what I mean......

http://www.dillonprecision.com/

BTW, Good Luck!
    Last edited by rocky; October 10th, 2007 at 11:20 AM. Reason: edit to correct link
    "Guard with jealous attention the public liberty. Suspect everyone who approaches that jewel. Unfortunately, nothing will preserve it but downright force. Whenever you give up that force, you are inevitably ruined". - Patrick Henry

+1 on going by the book at first. Check and double check. You don't want a round with no powder and you don't want a double load.

1943 - 2009

When you’re wounded and left on Afghanistan’s plains,
    And the women come out to cut up what remains,
    Just roll to your rifle and blow out your brains,
    And go to your God like a soldier.

Rudyard Kipling

Terry

You'll enjoy it..I still remember the feeling when you first shoot your own batch and feeling relieved it didn't blow up your gun!

Can't help ya w/.40 cal I only have done 45 and 44 mag so far.

Im in the same boat, i am thinking of getting into reloading. I ordered a book called "The ABC's of Reloading." I also want to reload practice ammo for my .40 MP Compact.

For .40 S&W I use Rainier plated bullets and Titegroup with mixed range brass and some Starline brass I bought, and WSP primers. I think I use 4.6 or 4.8 grains of powder - just had a toe surgery and don't feel like getting up to look.
    Take it slow. When you're first setting up the dies you'll probably crush a few cases - no big deal. When you're adjusting the seating/crimp die don't use powder (or even primers) until you have it just right. Use your barrel as a cartridge guage - the dummy rounds should drop right in.

Austin

Talking Some Advice

Been reloading for over 30 years, it is relaxing, time away from the stress of the family, will save you money, (that is one the equipment price has been offset by the savings). and is fun. Some Advice..

Just do not go with Cheap and mistake it for economics, buy a quality press the first time you will never regret it. (no we will not go into the Blue, Green, Red debate)

Read as much as you can, get reloading manuals, several different ones are available, and I keep two currents ones on hand.

If you have a friend that reloads go watch them for a spell to get a idea of process flow.

Haunt the local gun store that sells reloading stuff, but do not feel obligated to buy their stuff just because you walked in the door, Shop around.

Good scales for powder, dies, and measuring tools are essential, case cleaners can come later.

Go progressive.

Have a spot that is your reloading area, a good bench, and lighting are a must.

Every one has their favorite primers, I have had good luck with Winchester, and CCI.

Most of all relax and enjoy, and make time for your hobbies.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

WSF is very good in the 40. WST works well. Unique is alright but meters like crap and is dirty. Power Pistol is great for high velocity loads, Longshot is great too.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    WSF is very good in the 40. WST works well. Unique is alright but meters like crap and is dirty. Power Pistol is great for high velocity loads, Longshot is great too.
    Actually Unique has been reformulated the dirty was from the graphite coating of the powder, and after loading literally hundreds of thousands of rounds with the stuff I never had a metering problem but it might just be the type of equipment I used. Yeah I am a Unique fan for most pistol that is.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

Still dirty as hell. I dumped 4# in my wife's flower garden for fertilizer.

Talking EEK

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    Still dirty as hell. I dumped 4# in my wife's flower garden for fertilizer.
    I hope she does not smoke outside and toss a lit one in the petunias! You should have sent it to me.

Senior Moderator
    I like Accurate No.5. It covers about everything.I used to use Unique and Bullseye but both were filthy.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Titegroup has been good for me - its all I've used in massive quantities. I've done some Blue Dot and Unique for hot .45 ACPs and .40s - worked well. For my big guns (.44 mag and .45 LC Rugers) I like H110 a lot but have started experimenting with Lil'gun - its supposed to take lower end loads better. I know it does well with the top end stuff! I put a 320 LBT out of my .44 at around 1300 fps and even with the scope on it my wrist was sore after a couple shots. I think I'll slow them down to around 1150 or so.

Austin

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links