New reloading Bench in the works, mounting "plates" for presses

This is a discussion on New reloading Bench in the works, mounting "plates" for presses within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Guys, I'm in the process of designing a new bench that will run the length of my safe room wall (20') and finally give me ...

Like Tree11Likes
  • 3 Post By Chuck R.
  • 1 Post By dangerranger
  • 1 Post By BlackJack
  • 1 Post By Danimal
  • 1 Post By Chuck R.
  • 2 Post By MJK
  • 2 Post By TX expat

Thread: New reloading Bench in the works, mounting "plates" for presses

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar

Guys,

I'm in the process of designing a new bench that will run the length of my safe room wall (20') and finally give me room for my 5 reloading presses and enough room to work brass, powder operations etc. I'm working with a friend of mine that's a highly skilled cabinet maker on the design and getting materials at his cost ($1200 so far). Plans call for adjustable/removable shelving, that will be replaceable with drawers once I sort out where they need to be.

I want to mount my presses (Ponsness Warren (2), RCBS Rockchucker, Redding Ultra Mag, Dillon 550) on standardized plates utilizing the same hole pattern to minimize the holes in the bench top and allow flexibility as I sort out where I want everything to finally end up. I also want to add a Dillon 650 either this year of next to speed up my match and training class ammo production.

Couple questions for you guys that have multiple presses set up:

1. What approximate spacing do you have between presses?? I've thought of using clamps for a while till I sort this out.

2. IF you use the same concept (mounting plates), what did you use for your plates?? My current version is simple plywood.

Current bench/reloading area, basically all of this will be replaced by the wall length bench and shelving. Current bench is 8' long:

Thanks,

Chuck
    homo homini lupus est

I have all of my equipment mounted to 12x12 plates . I clamp them down to the table with C clamps. This way I dont need any holes. DR
    marcclarke likes this.

Senior Moderator
    I've had the same idea (mounting on plates) for when I get a second press on my crowded 6-foot bench. One approach is to mount a roughly 12" square of 1/4" mild steel (1/8" isn't stiff enough) to the bench, and the plate is drilled with hole patterns to accommodate each press. The presses mount with bolts and wing nuts (or similar). Or, use sturdy plywood (like 5/8") bolted onto the base of each press, then the plywood bases mount to the bench with a common bolt pattern. That's my gross plan, but details (like clearance for the bolt heads on the underside of the plates) need to be worked out.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Check out the bench he has at this site

Ultimate Reloader ? Reloading Explained

He uses plates that mount into rails that are embedded into the surface of his bench. Allows for easy swapping and moving of presses.

Youtube video of it

gasmitty likes this.

Big fan of this guy's stuff:

https://inlinefabrication.com

And I use plywood for spacers, etc.
    marcclarke likes this.

Great thread. I have been try to figure out how I want to mount a second press.

Distinguished Member Array Chuck R.'s Avatar
    I like the track idea.....

Attached is a basic schematic of what I'm looking at (upper is an overhead view). Currently I have 5 presses, but an older RCBS Rockchucker will be located on another bench and regulated to only de-priming prior to cleaning etc.

New reloading Bench in the works, mounting "plates" for presses-reloading-bench-presses.jpg

With nearly 20' of space I'm not so much concerned with switching presses in use, a there's enough room to mount them all (+ the future 650) I mostly want to get them and the other stuff positioned right the 1st time. For instance, the P&W 375C (single stage shotgun) is only used for 20GA, 16GA, and 12GA hunting loads, so it really doesn't see much use. It can be replaced by the future Dillon 650, and then only brought into play a couple times a year. The 550, P&W 900 (Auto 12GA) and Redding Ultra-mag are in frequent use.

I'm "guestmating" that approx 2' between presses is adequate for bins of brass/hulls and loading trays with charged brass and bullets, since there's space allocated to other functions. The mounting plates are the same size as the P&W 900 base, with corresponding mounting holes since this press has the largest footprint.

Chuck
    Rock and Glock likes this.
    homo homini lupus est

MJK
    Think about this as a production process with five or more products manufactured. Create a process flow diagram which includes material supply chain and then align your inventory storage with the process steps to minimize waste. Ditto with operations required on multiple stations such as case cleaning, trimming, deburring, primer pocket swaging, etc.

If you know a good industrial engineer or someone trained in Lean enlist their help.
    [T]he unlimited power of the sword is not in the hands of either the federal or state governments, but, where I trust in God it will ever remain, in the hands of the people. ---Tenche Coxe, The Pennsylvania Gazette, Feb. 20, 1788.

VIP Member
    Once I got into a multiple press situation, I did a lot of looking around for a solution because mounting more than one press permanently would have taken up way too much real estate on my bench. I used the 'quick change press mounting system' by Inline Fabrication. It's worked out very well. I store the presses I'm not using on his quick change storage plate and it holds even my progressive press solidly when not in use.

I've been 100% pleased with every piece I've ever purchased from him and while it's not the cheapest solution, it is extremely well made and worth the cost. His ERGO roller levers are the best thing since sliced bread as well!
    NRA Life Member

"I don't believe gun owners have rights." - Sarah Brady

Senior Moderator
    If you go with the track concept, consider recessing your track into the bench top and making it the full full length of the bench. Then you can move tools anywhere as required, and have a very versatile space.
    ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ: Buy These Stickers Here

"A man without ethics is a wild beast loosed upon the world" Albert Camus

Sponsored Links