What to do w/primed cases that need to be expanded..

This is a discussion on What to do w/primed cases that need to be expanded.. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi, I am reloading for 45 acp, 230 grn LRN, i have a few cases that when I ran through the expander did not get ...

Thread: What to do w/primed cases that need to be expanded..

Hi,
    I am reloading for 45 acp, 230 grn LRN, i have a few cases that when I ran through the expander did not get sized so that the LRN are still too big..I've already primed them.
    Can I run them through the expander die-(and knock out the live primers)? Or should I just chuck them, maybe shoot them w/just the primers?
    Have been reloading for a few mos but haven't come across this yet..
    The primers are CCI btw.
    Thanks

I've had one like that and veeeeery carefully and veeeeeeerrrry slowly popped out the live primers successfully. I'd recommend a set of ear muffs just in case, but you should be able to get it out if you baby it.
    ~Mike F.
    http://www.ConcealedCampus.com
    http://www.a-human-right.com/
    "Quemadmoeum gladuis neminem occidit, occidentis telum est."

Why don't you just shoot the empty casings off. Just put the casings in your firearms and snap off the primers. Shouldn't hurt anything as far as I know. Then you can safely remove the spent primers.
    "No free man shall ever be de-barred the use of arms. The strongest reason for the people to retain their right to keep and bear arms is as a last resort to protect themselves against tyranny in government." - Thomas Jefferson

Just a thought on reloading

But if the question is something like "can I do something a little dangerous so that I can save a few cents?" The right answer is "no".

Direct contact with WD40 wil deactivate them PDQ, so will contact with your firing pin.

All you need to do it take the decapping pin out of your resizing die. Done!

That being said I have also read on internet reloading forums from posters I had some confidence in that you can slowly and carefully deprime live cases with the decapping pin.

A primer going off will dirty the inside of your die, and could possibly damage it. However, it isn't a massive explosion, and as long as the powder is put away and you're wearing eye protection (ears might be a good idea too) you'll be fine. Don't ask me how I know.

Now if you were to fire the primers in your gun it wouldn't be awful or anything but not the best either. There is a lot more that goes on when a round goes "bang" then just the primer lighting the powder and the bullet going out the barrel. Basically the primer will push the case forward - the primer will push up against the breechface and possibly you'll have a stuck case to deal with. No biggie but better not to do it that way.

WD-40 also a perfectly viable option. If you don't want to deal with taking out the decapping pin or risk popping a primer, go for it. Just let them soak a bit - I'd give it a day to be on the safe side. I'm not sure how long it really takes to kill them that way.

Austin

VIP Member
    +1 with Aus. Just remove the pin & resize.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

+1 on removing the decapping pin and resizing the case.

I have, not that I am recommending doing this, had to remove a primer that was put in upside down into a case. If you do it slowly with constant pressure, it will come out fine. Basically your depriming the case with the end that the fireing pin would normally hit.

Like I said I don't recommend doing this but it can be done.

+1 on the eye and hearing protection.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I too have "babied" a primer out with a decapping pin, and let me tell you from someone who has done it.......It's STUPID! I didn't ever have one go off on me, but being a little older and a little wiser I would never do it again. As others have said either remove the decapping pin, or pop off the primers. A few minutes of labor or a couple bucks of primers isn't worth the chance of a hospital visit.

As Aus said, just remove the decapping pin if your referring to re-sizing the brass. Or are you referring to belling the case?

Guess my question would be why it didn't get sized or belled the first time through the press?

Good luck.
    Shooters Plus
    Ruger, Glock, Colt, Smith & Wesson, Springfield and many more new guns, magazines and shooting accessories.

Quote Originally Posted by Shooters Plus View Post
    As Aus said, just remove the decapping pin if your referring to re-sizing the brass. Or are you referring to belling the case?

Guess my question would be why it didn't get sized or belled the first time through the press?

Good luck.

I don't know why i didnt think of removing the decapping pin,

Not sure how the case didnt get belled, maybe I missed it..might have been one of the first cases I did and didn't have the die set right..

thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sui-juris View Post
    I don't know why i didnt think of removing the decapping pin,

Not sure how the case didnt get belled, maybe I missed it..might have been one of the first cases I did and didn't have the die set right..

thanks
    Maybe I am reading this wrong but do you want a resized case or just more bell so the case doesn't shave lead?

If your cases are too large and the bullet falls in then just run through the sizing process without the de-primer pin installed.

As for expander dies, they usually don't have a de-priming pin so just re-expand.
    ""If I shoot all the ammo I am carrying, I either won't need more or, more won't help me.""

Direct contact with WD40 will deactivate them PDQ, so will contact with your firing pin.
    WD40 doesn't always deactivate the primer, so don't bet on it.

I've read your question several times, what exactly do you want to do, resize the case, bell the neck, or?
    D.A.V. Life Member
    N.R.A. Life Member

I'd just load it and shoot the primer to be safe.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Links