Cast lead bullets for Defense (380 acp, 9mm) specially Lee molds

This is a discussion on Cast lead bullets for Defense (380 acp, 9mm) specially Lee molds within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Hi, Does anyone carry his own cast lead bullets for self defense? Were I am located (Southamerica) bullets can not be bought commercially and so ...

View Poll Results: Which do you use for self defense conceiled carry?

Voters
24. You may not vote on this poll
  • 380 Auto

9 37.50%
  • 9mm Luger

17 70.83%
  • 38 Spl

10 41.67%
  • 22 LR, 32 Auto or 25 Auto

2 8.33%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree13Likes

Thread: Cast lead bullets for Defense (380 acp, 9mm) specially Lee molds

Hi,

Does anyone carry his own cast lead bullets for self defense?

Were I am located (Southamerica) bullets can not be bought commercially and so for my 380 acp (Beretta Pico) I plan to use the 102 grain Lee lead bullet and for the 9x19 Taurus PT 92 I use the 124 grain TC TL Lee lead bullet.
    I load the 9x19 to about 235 ft-lbs of energy (9mm Makarov Levels) since that passes the gun cycling by a bit (gun cycles reliable with the 124 grain lead truncated cone bullet and about 3.9 grain VV N330 type powder).

Has anyone load data for the VV N330 for 380 acp for a good middle in the power road load? Should not be +P but be in the range of the Aguila 380 Auto FMJ which is 188 ft-lbs and 945 fps.

Thank you!

Where is the NO selection?

1mereford,
    You mean NO conceiled carry? If you are not conceiled carrying then please dont vote. Please be honest with the poll.

Thank You!

4. Remove Advertisements
    DefensiveCarry.com
    Advertisements

Yes I cast my own 9x19 9 mm Luger and also 9x18 Makarov
    Long, Wide, Deep, and without hesitation.

Senior Moderator
    No .40, .44 or .45 choices seems a little short-sighted.

Not casting a vote since, but - while my "carry" ammo is nearly always JHPs, there are times when the .38s and .45 ACPs are loaded with lead SWCs. The SA .44 Special runs only cast lead bullets in different configurations, and once there is the right holster on hand there will likely be a trail gun, which is why I mention it. 240 gr SWC at 975 ft/sec is definitely an adequate defensive round, even if not for concealed carry.
    bmcgilvray likes this.
    Smitty
    AZCDL Life Member
    NRA Patron Member
    NROI Chief Range Officer

Quote Originally Posted by gasmitty View Post
    No .40, .44 or .45 choices seems a little short-sighted.
    He's in South America. Those are likely not legal options for him.

Sponsor
    Which country in SA? I'm not sure I understand his hesitation to name the country. In his intro he stated he didn't want to due to the crime there. Hell, there's crime everywhere in SA isn't there?
    The mind is the limiting factor

https://www.youtube.com/user/azqkr

Quick Kill Rifle and Pistol Instructor

Hiding inside a bottle of Jim Beam Black in S. FL.
    I don't cast bullets but do reload them. While I don't use my reload for carrying, I would if it were necessary. I would consider pumping them up a bit first though.
    Old Sarge and bmcgilvray like this.
    Retired USAF E-8. Curmudgeon at large.
    Lighten up and enjoy life because:
    Paranoia strikes deep, into your life it will creep. It starts when you're always afraid... Buffalo Springfield - For What It's Worth

I was rather thinking of disguised concealed carry with relative small (smallest) guns on the market; rather than carrying an 500 S&W 6" Revolver .
    Mouse guns and the like.

At the present time, there is a lot of confusion regarding hand loads, versus factory loads, when it comes to self defense. Some thinking that handloads for concealed carry, open up a big can of worms for an attorney to go after you, should you actually use these handloads for self defense.
    I think a lot of the confusion lies with the possibilities of "souping up" the loads. Versus just shooting a regular old metal jacketed bullet, bought over the counter.

Life Member DAV, NRA
    Retired USAF, 52-72

Senior Member Array Libertywheel's Avatar
    A snubby in .38 special might fit your need.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ~ Abraham Lincoln

How they will know (in court) if it was a reload if the shot is fired?
    Maybe from the unfired rounds?

I have this Revolver but not for CC obviously.
    Cast lead bullets for Defense (380 acp, 9mm) specially Lee molds-rr357b5_1.jpg
    It has seen in it's life only 20 factory half jacket 357 mag Winchester 110 grain ammo. The rest of the box I have still. From then it shot almost exclusively self cast lead Lee 148 grain Wadcutters loaded in 38 spl cases over 3.9 grain VV N330 powder. That gives an velocity of about 1000 fps and an energy of 335 ft-lbs. A weak load but in the realm of the 9x19.
    I load them like the type Nagant deep seated round was.

I was thinking as well at first just conceiled carrying a snub Revolver.
    But then the Prices were prohibitive since I would at least want an 357 mag.
    Second they are quiete big and would not fit into the cell phone case.
    Third they are heavy.
    Fourth, if they are light then the Frame is Plastik and such Thing I did not want.
    Fifth, they have only 5 rounds.

Senior Member Array Libertywheel's Avatar
    Yep. Round count is always an issue with revolvers...so carry two! You can get a 15oz snubby that is not plastic.
    drift likes this.
    Nearly all men can stand adversity, but if you want to test a man's character, give him power. ~ Abraham Lincoln

would be viable carrying a Revolver. Would just have to have 3 speedloaders as well carrying but they tend to be bulky.

On the other Hand this above shown 357 mag SAA Pietta (Heritage) model 1873 Revolver is just barely heavy enough for the 357 mag caliber IMO. I would not imagine Shooting an 357 mag or even 38 spl from an 15 oz gun.
    The gun shown above is 36 oz and with it's plow handle it does not recoil at all. I allways admire this 1873 Technology since it is a steel/Wood grip but does not recoil at all (slides down in my Hand upon recoil).
    As well in my Taurus PT 92 I have no Problem using lead bullets nor does the Revolver lead. I cast the bullets from wheel wheights (which locally have a high Zinc Content).
    2. Timothy Chapter 3
    But mark this: There will be terrible times in the last days. In fact, everyone who wants to live a godly life in Christ Jesus will be persecuted, while evildoers and impostors will go from bad to worse, deceiving and being deceived.
    The Bible

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Sponsored Links