I had a Squib load on a reload...help !!!

This is a discussion on I had a Squib load on a reload...help !!! within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I am sure, I mean absolutely sure, there was powder in the reload. What else could have been the problem. There was black char in ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I had a Squib load on a reload...help !!!

I had a Squib load on a reload...help !!!

I am sure, I mean absolutely sure, there was powder in the reload. What else could have been the problem. There was black char in the fired case.................

2. Remove Ads

JD
    Administrator
    Not enough powder?

not enough powder but more than likely Primer contamination

Lead Moderator
    I have had several Win primers fail to ignite lately resulting in squib loads. Not sure what brand you are using.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Moderator
    Generally primer contamination is the reason for a primer not giving full ignition.

It could be as simple as the oil from your finger touching it.
    It could be that you left them out and it was affected by moisture. Its hard to say it could be literally anything.

It could even be a "bad" run of primers. Over the years there have been several recalls of ammo by various manufacturers due to primer compounds not being up to par.

It could be that you are shooting a light load and that the powder in the case was all up in the end away from the primer. Not only does this cause squibs, but also very erratic ignition which results in accuracy that sucks....although if you are not a good shot to begin with some will dismiss it as just a bad day out shooting.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Primer contamination first, then not enough powder.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

A little more info would help.

What cartridge are you loading, which powder and how much, what primer and bullet? How many rounds did you load, did you have more than one squib?
    D.A.V. Life Member
    N.R.A. Life Member

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    I have had several Win primers fail to ignite lately resulting in squib loads. Not sure what brand you are using.
    They were winchesters as well that I used! I also used the min load for Universal Powder, like 5.4 gr. I think it might be the primers because I have had at least 5 out of every hundred fail to fire. Good firing pin hit, but no bang>........

Lead Moderator
    Sounds as a possible cause. I bought a 1000 primers and so far have had 4 squibs out of 300 rounds fired. I am using titegroup powder ,which is touted as not being position sensitive to ignition.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

I have had more bad primers with winchesters lately think i posted about it else where about 5 dud or weak primers per 1k sounds about right .. more of the ones i've had lately just don't do anything

Quote Originally Posted by rocky View Post
    Funny you say Winchester primers, I had a silvertip hollowpoint winchester load fail on me and lodged a bullet in my 38 special. It made me stay away from winchester loads all together.
    ‘‘To disarm the people is the best and most effectual way to enslave them.’’

— George Mason

Did you have a misfire, or a squib (primer fired but no powder burn)? I assume you're talking pistol rounds, which I think are a lot less prone to this than rifle cartridges.

I have found the hard way that some combinations of rifle powder/primers won't work for certain cartridges, for instance in reloading 8mm Mauser rounds using BL-C(2) powder with large rifle primers (not magnum). I got lots of squib rounds with these, using the "starting" grains listed in my guides. A real pain, because the bullet got launched up into the bore and stuck pretty hard, and had to get a rod and hammer it out. There was also abotu 25+ grains of unburned powder *everywhere* inside the receiver that was a pain in the neck to clean up, in fact so much powder that it blocked another round from being chambered.

In this instance after several failed trips to the range I learned/figured out with some help that the starting charge was so low that only about half of the cartridge case was full of powder and the other half empty. In this condition, the regular rifle primer didn't have "enough fire" to reliably light off the powder. I checked this theory by making some more rounds, and sure enough, if I set them on their bases straight up before chambering (to allow the power to settle over the primer) they fired 100%. Turn the cartridge tip down before chambering, they were 100% squibs.

I solved this problem by switching from BL-C(2), a fine-grained ball powder where a little goes a long way, to one of the IMR powders 4064 I think, where a normal load is around 50 grains of stick powder that pretty much fills the case. Zero squib rounds since doing that; I was amazed. The closest pistol situation I can think of is 38 special or 357 magnum, but fortunately even with normal small pistol primers I've never had a problem with squibs, even though there's a lot of empty space in those cases too.

I recently had two squibs with W231 powder and Winchester Primers. I don't think I have had two squibs,other than these in 25+ years of reloading.
    I was using a fairly light load of 4.2 grs of W231 with a Winchester 158 JSP bullet.

The first squib was in a 2" snub and the bullet jumped just enough to lock the cylinder. The second one was during an IDPA match yesterday and the bullet came flush with the end of the 4" barrel. Both times the case was covered in black soot. I experimented today with the 4" gun and the same round with no powder and each time it barely left the case enough to lock up the cylinder and it was not black and sooty as before.
    I use a turret press so it would be hard to miss a powder station. I am really thinking of bad primers, but I have never had it happen before. I have had a tough time finding Federal primers lately but they are starting to reappear around here.

Winchester has long been known to make the "hardest" primers. They can be finicky if not stuck very firmly, and some guns aren't able to hit them reliably enough.

I've had a few squibs and every one of them was due to no or very little powder. No fault other than mine for letting something divert my attention when reloading. I use a Dillon 550 and if something causes me to lose the rhythm of the reloading cycle, I not strip all the cases out and start from the beginning of the cycle. This has solved the squib problem.

(Just in case, I carry several diameter wooden dowels and a small brass hammer in my bag.
    Richard Scalzo, Capt.
    Secaucus PD
    Secaucus, NJ
    Retired !!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links