Defensive Carry banner

Which reloading manual

3K views 18 replies 16 participants last post by  fatboy97 
#1 ·
alright. i have yet another question for the reloaders..
which reloading manual is the best and why?

#6 ·
LYMAN

Lyman is a favorite and has a lot of good info.Don't limit yourself to just one.They all have different data and information.I have a small library,but you don't have to be that much of a fanatic:scruntiny:.Having more than one gives more choices to compare.:image035:Hornady is another good one that comes to mind.:yup:

#7 ·
does the lyman cover lots of different bullets, powders, and calibers?
i have one specifically for the .45 which has a lot of bullet-powder combos.
But i would also like something with 'all' calibers (at least .45, .38, 9mm, 7.62x54R -my current guns). as well as data such as appropriate case lengths, etc.

#11 ·
+1 Lyman is good. The more the better so you can compare data though. I've got Speer and Hornady, plus the "Loadbooks USA" from midwayusa.com for the specific calibers I load for. Sometimes you don't have the exact data for what you're loading and it can help to have multiple sources to compare and come up with something in the middle that sounds safe and reasonable. I've done this on several occasions - multiple sources is best. The internet is your friend too - most powder companies post their data online. Some of the newer powders aren't included in the manuals that came out a year or two ago...just something to keep in mind.

Austin

#13 ·
To add - Lyman #47 does seem better than #48 - but Speer #13 is handy and also Richard Lee's ... "modern Reloading" - 2nd Edition.

Grab any and all PDF files of the web you can too - from powder makers .... Google the maker or powder type - usually gets you there.

#14 ·
I suggest the ABCs of reloading plus one from the bullet maker, one from the powder maker, and then a third party like Lyman or Lee's Modern Reloading.

I have over a dozen manuals myself. Hey, I got a LoadBookUSA for the 9mm you can have. I don't shoot 9mm. I'll bring it Sunday.

#16 ·
A suggestion, if you are going to buy a new manual, make a list of all the guns you plan to reload for and buy at least one manual that has all the guns in it.
Not all manuals will have all guns, especially if they are older guns. Older manuals may have the older guns but the powders may no longer be available.
Depending what you plan to reload it may force you to buy more then one manual, which is OK because the more the better.

#17 ·
Gotta go with a Lyman. This probably shows my age. My newest Lyman is the 46th edition. Rifle or handgun, I've got the powders listed there committed to memory in my pea-brain. I can't seem to keep up with the newer propellents.

#19 ·
Lyman was recommended to me by a local expert, but it's not my only manual.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.