Anyone have lee turret press?

This is a discussion on Anyone have lee turret press? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; let me know if you have a lee turret press. i have a few questions for ya....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone have lee turret press?

Anyone have lee turret press?

let me know if you have a lee turret press. i have a few questions for ya.

2. Remove Ads

I have a Lee Pro 1000. Not the same but some parts swap over I believe.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

Yes. Fire away.

ETA: I have the Classic Turret.

fist off.. do you have the lee safety primer? if so, how well does it work? if not, or even if so, how do you do it without one?

also just in general. what do you and dont you like about it / what would u do differantly in your setup.
    right now i am looking at getting the kit http://www.midwayusa.com/eproductpag...290&t=11082005
    plus carbide dies and the primer thingy

Yes. I have both the small and large primer attachments. They work pretty good. Getting used to it takes a bit of a learning curve. I had problems dropping primers on the floor because I wasn't lined up with the primer arm just right. No biggie.

I absolutely love it. The only sticker is the priming setups. Like I said above, just takes a bit of a learning curve. I can load about 200-250 rounds per hour on it. I like that the turrets can be swapped out so quickly. Pull the handle down halfway, lift the turret up and turn clockwise and they just pop out. Saves your die settings so you just put in back in and you are all set.

I have the Classic Turret Press, not the one you linked to. That one can't load rifle cartridges. The Classic Turret can load up to 375 H&H (which I do) on the press, whereas the Deluxe Turret can only do pistol. For flexibility, go with the Classic Turret. Also the base is cast iron and is much stronger.

I used to work for a steel mill that supplied Lee Precision with a lot of parts. We made the steel rams for these presses. They are strong as hell.

Here is the best deal on the Net for the Lee Classic Turret kit. Comes with carbide dies. Get the Auto Disk Pro Upgrade (powder measure) for the extra $10. It is worth it. Then add components, calipers, scale, maybe a bullet puller. This kit comes out to about $180 shipped with dies and the PM upgrade from the guys that bought from here.

The link is:

http://www.kempfgunshop.com/products.../KempfKit.html

If I had my bench built (just moved in to our first house) I'd invite you over to load some on my press to try before you buy.

thanks for the info.
    i just got a 'how to load using single stage' lesson from a friend of mine yesterday (aka here, you get to load up my .45 today)
    it was a lot simpler than i thought.

anyways, what exactly is the difference btwn the one i was looking at and the classic one?
    any why does it cost more. why can u reload rifle on the classic but not the new one?

The Deluxe Turret is cast aluminum, the Classic is cast iron. Iron is stronger than aluminum. Iron is more expensive than aluminum. The amount of ram travel on the Classic is over twice that on the Deluxe, hence the ability to load rifle cartridges. The linkage on the Classic is stronger. The ram on the Classic is well over an inch thick, not so on the Deluxe. They use the same turrets, but the Classic uses the 4-hole turrets to compliment the Lee die sets with the FCD (factory crimp die).

Overall the Classic Turret is the better, stronger, more versitle, longer lasting press. If you are in it for the long run, get the Classic.

I have been looking at the classic press also. I plan on getting the press for a christmas gift for myself. For the price look at kempf gun shop. For less than $300.00 I can get everything I need to load 45acp and 40 S&W. This includes all scales and dies and loading manuals. I'am just starting to reload on a budget so this seems to be the best way.

yea, it looks like ill probably get that one then.

is the pro autodisk measurer worth the extra $10?

Yes. You get the ability to "shut off" the powder. By this you rotate the hopper so the hole is covered. This allows you to remove the hopper from the dispensing base and dump the powder back into the powder can. It also aids in a quick switch of the disk cavity for switching calibers but using the same powder. I load 45 Auto and 10mm with the same powder. I load them to two different weights.

When I'm done loading one, I switch out the turret with appropriate dies, change shellholders, grab cases and bullets, turn off the powder flow, switch over the disk cavity to the one I need, twist the powder back on. Then I verify the weight thrown and start loading. The whole process switch from 10mm to 45 Auto takes me literally 45 seconds to perform, if I take my time.

Also there is an elastomer wiper in the Pro that minimuzes cut powder if you are using extruded powder. This also makes a clean sweep over the dispenser hole so the charges are exact.

The Auto Disk Pro is definately worth the upgrade.

I really wish I had my bench up so I could show you what I mean.:)

oh ok thanks. yea these web pages really do a terrible job at explaining what things are and what exactly comes in the kits, etc.
    thats ok, im pretty sure i know what i want now.

Even if you just want to see one in person let me know. I have the Classic Turret and Pro disk measure so I can show you.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links