Reloading .45ACP as Defense Ammo

This is a discussion on Reloading .45ACP as Defense Ammo within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I load allot of 45, but mainly for practice and plinking. In my carry gun I use off the shelf ammo for defence. Currently "Corbon ...

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Reloading .45ACP as Defense Ammo

Reloading .45ACP as Defense Ammo

I load allot of 45, but mainly for practice and plinking. In my carry gun I use off the shelf ammo for defence. Currently "Corbon 200grn +p" and every now and again I get the itch to shoot my defence ammo just to make sure my gun still likes it and to stay use to the extra recoil from the +p, the extra recoil in not much, but it is enough to throw off the double taps.

I want to load my own defencive ammo.
    Questions,

What are your thoughts as far as legal issues? I have been told by instructors, both, that's it's not a factor, and also if used in defence that I am setting my self up for bad things in the courthouse. I have been getting feed back from both sides of the fence from gun dealers, LEO and other shooters.

Do you load your own?
    What do you like for a good bullet?
    Whats your recipe?

My currant loads are, Montana gold 200grn bullets, 5grns of Bullseye with Winchester large pistol primers.

Thanks in advance, I look forward to your responses.
    Longbow
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

2. Remove Ads

I reload my own .38 S&W Special for practice but carry Federal JHP for SD. It isn't our opinion, but the jury's opinion that I care about.

Senior Member Array Maverickx50's Avatar
    This has been covered many times over in this forum. A search will probably bring it up in several various forms. Bottom line opinion and with some history to support it is it's NOT a good idea. If you ever do use your weapon it will significantly complicate your possible defense.
    I carry to protect myself and my loved ones from the BG's. Not to solve societies problems. That said: if more carried the deterrent would only have a positive overall effect on those problems.

I reload for .45 ACP but use factory ammunition for carry. +1 for doing a search - lots of discussion on this in the past. Basically the final argument is "better safe than sorry" - it doesn't cost all the much more to carry factory ammo, and potential to avoid trouble is worth it...for most people.
    I'm sure my 200 LSWCs would do the job just fine in a pinch. I've also loaded some Gold Dots just to see how they'd do. But my gun is loaded with HSTs.

Austin

i will use factory, but i know plenty of people who do reload their own defensive ammo. is it possible that it will work against you in the courts? yes. but so does everything else you do. the most important thing about your defensive ammo is that it goes bang

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    I shoot quite a bit of homerolled .45 and have to say that i would not by choice use it defensively . However if my pistol was loaded with it i would not attempt to call a time out to change mags either . I dont feel that the ammo ( no matter what it is ) will turn a good shoot into a bad shoot . It can however give an over zelious prosecutor or slimebag in a civil suit an issue to confuse a jury with . Remember that tho our legal system is about as good as it get worldwide , you will still be judged by 12 folks who were not smart enough to duck jury duty .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

you will still be judged by 12 folks who were not smart enough to duck jury duty .

That is just FUNNY stuff......VERY true, but still funny
    David

Ride hard and Shoot safe

The first rule of gunfighting should be to know when the gunfight starts - being the last one to get the news certainly won't put the odds in your favor.

Distinguished Member Array coffeecup's Avatar
    Put my name in the (I reload so I can shoot more, but carry factory stuff in my defensive weapon) column.

Remember, If in the unlikely event you HAVE to shoot someone, you will be taken to jail, charged with some violation, and have to at least explain your actions to the DA. It MIGHT make you explanation a bit easier if you didnt have those evil home loaded, super hot,magnum, KILLER loads in your firearm at the time of the shooting. Just the same stuff that the local law enforcement people use is plenty, and no explanation about your ammo will be needed.

"Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, standard handgun ammunition wasn't deadly enough for the Defendant. He had to go and make his own killer bullets that are more deadly because he was intent on inflicting death to as many people as he possibly could. Manufactured factory ammunition wasn't enough for the Defendant. He is a killer that premeditated this act by making his own ammunition. Justice demands that you find him guilty."

Need any more be said about handloads for self defense?

Never mind the fact that only one criminal aggressor was shot in the above scenario. The above is "sort of fictional".

I reload all my rifle ammunition, for both target pinking and hunting. But I never reload ammo for self defense.

I’ve worked a couple different times as an LEO and while I provided my own sidearm, both departments provided +P ammo and ordered me never to use anything else; especially reloads. I just figured they must know what they are talking about, so I never have.

With all the national media coverage of police departments having a hard time getting enough ammo, you could argue that as a good, decent, patriotic American you felt it your duty to not further add to that shortage but instead make do with your own do-it-yourself ammunition.
    "If we loose Freedom here, there's no place to escape to. This is the Last Place on Earth!" Ronald Reagan

Quote Originally Posted by BikerRN View Post
    "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, standard handgun ammunition wasn't deadly enough for the Defendant. He had to go and make his own killer bullets that are more deadly because he was intent on inflicting death to as many people as he possibly could. Manufactured factory ammunition wasn't enough for the Defendant. He is a killer that premeditated this act by making his own ammunition. Justice demands that you find him guilty."

Need any more be said about handloads for self defense?

Never mind the fact that only one criminal aggressor was shot in the above scenario. The above is "sort of fictional".
    LOL, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the defendant used store bought ammunition in this case. But we found record that he only did so because he was advised to when he asked about it specifically on an online forum. This sounds like premeditation to me."

1) TCP/IP is 100% traceable, there is almost always a record
    2) Lawyers can be major douche bags (Ok this is obvious, but I couldn't leave it out)
    Dave

"When among wild beasts, if they menace you, be a wild beast."
    -Herman Melville

Quote Originally Posted by Footslogger View Post
    LOL, "Ladies and Gentlemen of the Jury, the defendant used store bought ammunition in this case. But we found record that he only did so because he was advised to when he asked about it specifically on an online forum. This sounds like premeditation to me."

1) TCP/IP is 100% traceable, there is almost always a record
    2) Lawyers can be major douche bags (Ok this is obvious, but I couldn't leave it out)
    Agreed, the prosecutor can always find some kind of stupid and ridiculous angle to make an argument against you. I wouldn't worry about it.

A good lawyer could just bring up that the ammo still had to be within SAAMI regs to function properly, etc. Or any other argument.

On that note, I still have those two bags of brass to send you Longbow. I'll try to get those out this week. Sorry for the delay.
    ...He suggested that "every American citizen" should own a rifle and train with it on firing ranges "at every courthouse." -Chesty Puller

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Maverickx50 View Post
    This has been covered many times over in this forum. A search will probably bring it up in several various forms. Bottom line opinion and with some history to support it is it's NOT a good idea. If you ever do use your weapon it will significantly complicate your possible defense.
    I agree with Maverick... besides, I'm not sure I could load a round that preforms as well as a CorBon DPX!
    ALWAYS carry! - NEVER tell!

"A superior Operator is best defined as someone who uses his superior
    judgement to keep himself out of situations that would require a display of his
    superior skills."

I have been trying to remeber the specific case that a handload became a major issue.

In one famous case, balistics testing on other rounds in the box didn't relate to the round in the dead girl. The defense argued suicide, but due to the mix-n-match , couldnt back it up and the hubby got conviced of murder.

I *think* he had some extra-light handloads for the wife's use in the revolver.

Aw, somebody MUST be able to come up with the specific case.

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Links