Reloading area and bench

This is a discussion on Reloading area and bench within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I'm planning on setting up a reloading area and thought I'd throw 2 questions out. I can shoose between 3 areas, the garage which is ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Reloading area and bench

Reloading area and bench

I'm planning on setting up a reloading area and thought I'd throw 2 questions out. I can shoose between 3 areas, the garage which is not heated, but I can build a small room in it and heat it while in use only. Winter's up here can be cold and long and I worry about changing temps from way below zero to a usable temp each time I use it. A basement area which can be damp a few months out of the year, but more or less heated. A smaller area in a spare bedroom, which would give me a lot smaller area for a bench, but heated and dry. Which is the best choice in your opinion? I will be setting up a Dillion XL 650 loading for 5 or 6 differant calibers. What do you think I can get by with for a bench top size? Thanks for any info that you can supply.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Damp is not good. I would go with heated and aired...no matter what.
    Bench top should be no less than 3 feet, 4 would be better. With the Dillon and all of your stuff laying around, you'll use every bit of it. You need enough to set a drink on it without it getting in the way.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    I think heated and dry is best option even if it reduces space. Saves worries from temp swings and humidity factors. Heat into a cold place invariably tempts condensation.

Make a benchtop as large as you can within the limitations you have - it'll never be big enough! That said - some folks have managed quite well with just a ''Workmate'' size setup. Main thing is rigidity.

If however you decide to do bullet casting then make that out of house so fresh air is around to vent fumes. Garage could work well, or basement if enough ventilation.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Lead Moderator
    yeah, dry and warm is best. The cold, then heating up could cause condensation issues too.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Here's my setup in my house. Have since added a RC with trimmer and PM stand. My Dillon 550 is getting an overhaul and will be in the middle of the bench. The press on the left is a MEC 600jr for 20ga and the Lee Classic Turret is on the right. The RC is next to the MEC press but I don't have a pic of that. Still have to finish off the two bottom shelves.

Assistant Administrator
    Nice Tubby. Good and sturdy.

I think I have posted before - my setup is based actually on an old piece of furniture - cupboard deal ... gives me good storage and it's secured to wall so very rigid. First pic I have posted before at some stage, second is more recent but essentially same - just more mess!

Chris - P95

VIP Member
    +1 with Rigidity and also good ilumination! You do need to see specially while throwing powder.
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

If you are looking for ideas for a new reloading bench, let me make a suggestion. I just built one using a Simpson Strongtie kit. It comes with brackets, screws, plans, materials list and a cut list for a 4'x2' bench. You have to supply the lumber. If you want to adjust the size, the cut and material lists can be easily adjusted. The brackets make the joints rock solid. I got everything I needed at Lowes. Click the link if you want a closer look.

http://www.strongtie.com/DIY/projects.html

My bench is the 2x4 Basics kit from Cabela's and Northern Tool (cheaper there). It measures 7ft long and 32" deep, stands about 35" high. I used 2x4s for the four sides on three levels. The front top is a 2x10 and there are four 2x6s to make the rest of the top. I braced the top with three 2x4s spaced one each at 24" inside and one dead center at 3.5ft. They are held in place with 3" joist hangers.

I plan on doing the same treatment to the two lower shelves but using ¾" plywood for the shelves. I'll have big bins on wheels that I can pull out from the shelves to access.

nice pics. im jealous
    i would say that if you can make it fit without a hassle, the small spare room would be best.

Lead Moderator

My loading bench

Dillon 550b, MEC 600 JR shotgun loader and lots of assorted other items. I store the powder , bullets and other loading gear in 1 drawer, primers, scale , ect is a separate drawer. This bench also is used for other stuff, such as my kydex holster building.
    Attached Images
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Thanks for all the info. I think I'll build a seperate room in the basement and run a dehumidifier to get rid of the dampness to insure I have the room in case I want to expand. Any ideas on will this work? Thanks.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

VIP Member
    Is it "Smells musty" dampness or "I need two sump pumps" dampness?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

Assistant Administrator
    My previous place I ran a dehumidifier and it worked well .. of course there is cost involved but IMO it will take care of the humidity aspect.

All you got to do then is keep warm enough but lower temps will not prejudice reloading if air dry..
    Chris - P95

The basement never gets before 40. I'm worried if I use the spare bedroom, I'll run out of space. If worse comes to worse, I can always store my primers and powder in the bedroom instead of the basement room to help protect it.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    M.C.R.G.O.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links