CCI primers- just asking for trouble

This is a discussion on CCI primers- just asking for trouble within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; a friend of mine who i shoot with a few times a week got a batch of cci primers instead of his usual winchester for ...

Thread: CCI primers- just asking for trouble

CCI primers- just asking for trouble

a friend of mine who i shoot with a few times a week got a batch of cci primers instead of his usual winchester for one reason or another.
    over 10% of them so far failed. . he is disposing of the rest of them and going back to winchester.
    enough said.

edit: now that i think about it, it was well over 10%. once there were THREE in one magazine (7 rounds) that went click

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    I have found for years - personally and from other's experience ... the primer cups are heavier gauge material and/or harder. More ''oomph'' needed to initiate them. I don't see any problem chemically however - just need a bigger hit.

If a gun has plenty of 'zap'' in the FP energy then no problem but if marginal then they can be susceptible to a light strike effect.

I choose Fed and always have tho Win have done me fine too. Fed seem the ''thinnest'' of all. This problem shows up most when a revo it tuned up and lightened main spring - and then plenty of chances for misfires.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

As Chris said if you use CCI you have to have some oomphh anything with a lite trigger job will have a hard time setting them off.. Here awhile ago i had winchesters do the same thing

I used CCI's until I put lighter springs in my GP100 & SP101; got a lot of misfires due to light strikes with them. Never had that problem with Win. primers.
    I'm a child of the 60's, but I got over it.

Senior Member Array Freedomofchoice's Avatar
    Actually, I just read a thread on another forum, from a guy who just purchased a Lee Auto Prime tool (which I also use), and said it was NOT recommended to use Federal primers in this tool because of the chance of multiple detonation due to soft primers.

Good info for me to file away.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Distinguished Member Array dimmak's Avatar
    The only problem Ive had with them is picking them out of the receiver after loading too hot.....
    "Ray Nagin is a colossal disappointment" - NRA/ILA Executive Director Chris W. Cox.

"...be water, my friend."

Lead Moderator
    I have been seeing problems with Win primers with my .40 reloads. I have used CCI with few problems. I have seen many more squibs with Win primers. I am shooting a stock HK USP. I have no problem with primer strikes (AFAIK) but with lack of detonation in the primer.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Distinguished Member Array Colin's Avatar
    I have 3 9mm pistols all of them are having the same issue with CCI small primers not going off after 3 good strikes, funny my CCI large primers are fine.

Glocks are known for hating WLPs. First I've heard them not liking CCI. I run CCI and WLP in my G30 with no issues.

6000' above sea level - Albuquerque NM USA
    I've used CCI primers as my primary primer for more than 20 years. If I have a gun that won't set them off it's either because I got a bad batch, because I damaged a batch, or because I damaged the gun.

They are harder than Win or Federal primers, to be sure. Any gun that can't set off a functional CCI primer has problems, though.
    Shot-placement is king. Adequate penetration is queen. Everything else is angels dancing on the heads of pins.

Senior Moderator
    Ditto the above post.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    Actually, I just read a thread on another forum, from a guy who just purchased a Lee Auto Prime tool (which I also use), and said it was NOT recommended to use Federal primers in this tool because of the chance of multiple detonation due to soft primers.
    yep, i have heard that as well.
    seems that winch is a good middle ground then

Quote Originally Posted by Freedomofchoice View Post
    It isn't so much the softness it's the strength. The Lee Auto Prime won't take the beating of them going off and it will risk injury to the operator.

Straight from Lee Precision:

http://www.leeprecision.com/cgi/faq/index.cgi

Primer Brand Warning

We recommend only Winchester and CCI primers be used in the Auto Prime because Federal and Remington primers pose a potential danger to the operator. In testing, we found that the latter two brands of primers almost always chain detonated if the primer being seated was accidentally set off. A primer going off near your hand can be compared to an M-80 firecracker.

When a full tray of primers explode, it does so with enough force to cause injury to the operator and anyone else standing within a ten foot radius.

The older Improved priming tool and our current production Ram-Prime only accept one primer at a time, so this hazard did not apply.

We take no position as to the quality of primers and mention this only because of the increased danger of chain detonation with some brands only.

Links