Cleaning brass

This is a discussion on Cleaning brass within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; ok, i dont yet have the money for a tumbler, or anything else really. what can i use to clean off brass a little that ...

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Cleaning brass

Cleaning brass

ok, i dont yet have the money for a tumbler, or anything else really.
    what can i use to clean off brass a little that is free to very very cheap?

2. Remove Ads

Lead Moderator
    Dish soap and water seems to clean them off . Rinse em good. Just let it dry good before loading it. It will not make the cases shiny new, but does work. However you may get some dirt stuck to the brass that can cause a scratch or embed in your die.
    I have loaded w/o a tumbler for 1000's of rounds without a problem.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Save the money for a tumbler its the best way .. i think issio (sp) makes a liquid cleaner .. Also you can put them in a sock and wash them in the washing Machine

Get yourself some q-tips...
    Spend few minutes learning about my journey from Zero to Athlete in this mini documentary!
    Then check out my blog! www.BodyByMcDonalds.com

Cupcake - 100 pound loser, adventurer, Ironman Triathlete.

Assistant Administrator
    I don't always clean brass - if it is once fired and not too stained it'll go straight thru another reload.

Finally tho I do use my Midway - usually walnut media tho corn works too as long as fine enough - otherwise it sticks inside cases. I also have a rig that helps empty the media out of cleaned cases. The cost is not too bad IMO. A piece or two of kitchen paper in with the brass helps pick up some of the crud and make media last longer.

Someone mentioned in another thread - do not mix cals - 9mm's love to get stuck into .40"s and .40"s will nestle in .45's! Dedicated cals are for me way to go - plus deprime after and not before tumbling/vibro-cleaning ... media can get stuck in primer pockets.

The only substitute that I think would work is for someone with a tumbler for stone polishing - could press that into use for brass.

Bottom line - decades ago I never cleaned brass at all - sure I trimmed, chamfered etc when needed but dirty cases? Just filled em up again. I sometimes wonder why I clean cases but - once machine is filled up it's pretty painless - and they do look nice!
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Get a plastic pail with a lid. Use automatic dishwasher liquid soap, [less suds]. A cap full of lemon juice really helps. Hot water,soap, juice, seal the lid and put it in the bed of a pickup truck[or the floor of the car] for a day. You will be amazed! Just rinse very well in cold water, drain, and dry.
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Senior Moderator
    Thow it in an old tube sock,tie a knot in it and wash it in the washing machine by itself and some detergent. It'll get shiny clean and it wont be all over the place.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

VIP Member
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

For those with tumblers a tip from a buddy of mine. Pet stores like PetSmart will sell a 10Lbs reptile bedding material for under $10 or even cheaper. The material? Crushed English walnuts shells.
    Great Tip!!!
    "Planning to draw and chamber a round after TSHTF is like planning to fasten your seatbelt after you see the other guy run a stopsign..."

Professional hand engraver.
    To see full picture of knife in Avatar click here

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    For those with tumblers a tip from a buddy of mine. Pet stores like PetSmart will sell a 10Lbs reptile bedding material for under $10 or even cheaper. The material? Crushed English walnuts shells.
    +1... that is what I use and it does a very good job cleaning brass.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Bud and Hotguns' If you two aren't single, you've got some really mellow mates! Her><me:
    Oh yeh? Well this was sent from the scary black electrical box under my desk, so there!
    "It aint how good you shoot, it's how cool you look doing it." [Fred Sayer 1994]
    H&K P7
    Colt XS, Star PD
    Caracal F

Senior Moderator
    Hmmm...I didnt see Buds post before I posted or I wouldnt have repeated it.

Anyhow, what the women dont know about wont hurt them...
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Walmart is supposed to have some Lizard Litter that is crushed shells I'm going to try out.

I got a RCBS tumbler but no seperator. Will get one soon. I can bring mine to the range and you can throw your brass in there and tumble it while we shoot. Seperate before you head home.

I might have a seperator by next weekend but Fred said he doesn't know if they are shooting because of finals coming up. My finals (Finlandia) are this week so I'll be done Friday. I talked to Dan this morning and he said he'd try to be there next Sunday.

I have done the dishsoap in a bucket. Let sit for 5 minutes and then swirl them around real good. Dump them in the sink, rinse off with hot water, then let them air dry. I use my wife's hair dryer to speed up the process a bit. Works quite well.

BTW, had to drill out the stuck bullet in my Bersa. Took a 7/32" drill bit to drill out the center and then a 1/4" bit real slow to grab a hold of it and back it out while keeping the drill running. Half an hour of pounding on a cleaning rod with a mini-sledge (5# hammer) didn't do anything. Went overkill on the drill. Bore is pristine though. Never touched the rifling. One pass with the 40cal boresnake and it's mirror shiny.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Anyhow, what the women dont know about wont hurt them...
    .. i am the woman.. i dont think i will be yelling at myself

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    I got a RCBS tumbler but no seperator. Will get one soon. I can bring mine to the range and you can throw your brass in there and tumble it while we shoot. Seperate before you head home.
    thanks for the offer, but ill pass, all the .45 brass is at 'home' downstate. so however i do it ill have to do it there anyways, ill just do my 9 at the same time.

i think ill do the laundry machine idea. i clean all my guys laundry as it is, i might as well do his brass while im at it

I'd make him do his own laundry. And his brass.:)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Links