What made you start handloading?

This is a discussion on What made you start handloading? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; For the curiosity of it. Proved to be fun, economical, and the product is superior to factory....

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What made you start handloading?

For the curiosity of it. Proved to be fun, economical, and the product is superior to factory.

2. Remove Ads

The darn 44-40 cartridge. Never buy a gun with out first finding out how much the bullets are. After I paid almost 40 bucks for a box of full (non cowboy) loads, I said forget this, ran the figures and started to reload.

I have done 5 pistol calibers for a couple of years, getting ready to order 1 more pistol caliber and 6 rifle calibers tomorrow. The ammo is just to darn expensive if your going to shoot very much.

And yes, it is a very relaxing time consuming hobby. Problem is now, I have to split the money between building bullets and building on the Jeep. I guess it isn't bad to have two hobbies to keep you out of trouble.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Senior Moderator
    I started doing it when Politicians thought that it was cool to be against guns and ammo.

Back then, the communists like Kennedy,Shumer and all of the other United Nations worshiping heathens were proposing a 1000 per cent tax on ammo, I thought that it might be prudent to reload my own ammo and to cast bullets.

Every time some elected official lamented about guns or ammo, I would either buy a gun or some reloading equipment...you know, to make myself feel better since the general population seemed always to elect folks that were hell bent on destroying this country and everything it stands for.

I beleived then and still beleive today, that one of these days this country will face hard times like it has never before seen and ammunition will be the preffered currency.
    Last edited by HotGuns; December 14th, 2007 at 12:40 AM.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    I beleived then and still beleive today, that one of these days this country will face hards times like it has never before seen and ammunition will be preffered currency.
    I have said for several years that I feel that in the future the only person that will be able to afford to shoot will be the guy that reloads.

Now, back on topic: The reason I started reloading was that back in the early 80's I bought a 41 magnum revolver. Ammo was $25 per box of 50 rounds, when I could find it. I could reload 210 grain hard cast bullets for ~$3 per box of 50. Then I got into USPSA pistol, then AR's...

Cost savings mainly to begin with. When I started with the 6.5x55 in a Swedish Mauser sporterized by Kimber, the main line for ammo came from Norma. Anyone ever checked price on a box of Norma Mauser ammo? . Needless to say, I don't even rely on factory ammo for that rifle any more. As I progressed and currently, it's all about accuracy. I do .308 and 22-250 also. There is nothing like creating 20 brand new, homemade cartridges for my (then) brand new Remington 700 in 22-250 before I ever fired the first round through that heavy barrel! Awesome!

Ha! Anyone check the price of Norma anything? Not cheap.

I've always liked the 6.5x55 Swede. I might take it up one day. I'm too much of a 7mm family fan. My favorite is the 7mm-08.

I don't like ice fishing and needed something to do until the lakes thaw.
    "The Army and the Navy are run like traditional military services. The Air Force is run like a corporation. But the Marine Corps is a religion." Navy Admiral

University of Science Music and Culture

SEMPER FI!

Lead Moderator
    .40 S&W used to cost more per box. I like to shoot alot, so decided to reduce the cost a bit.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

Senior Member Array threefeathers's Avatar
    The only way I could shoot enough to get better. Now I enjou reloading as much as shooting.

BTDT

I have been reloading since about 1970 when I started burning mass quantiles of .45LC.
    Long story short it is fun, relaxing, and time to you self. I can load any round for any task I need, slow for plinking, fast for long range, specific bullet type for a specific task.
    About the only situation I do not reload for is my SD ammo. Let us not hijack this thread with that one, but for specific reasons I chose to use factory ammo for my CCW gun.
    claude clay likes this.
    "The sword dose not cause the murder, and the maker of the sword dose not bear sin" Rabbi Solomon ben Isaac 11th century

VIP Member
    It sounded interesting and the cost. I first started reloading 10mm. That's a spending round to buy, but doesn't really cost any more than a 9mm to reload. (OK, a little, but not much)
    eschew obfuscation

The only thing that stops bad guys with guns is good guys with guns. SgtD

Started loading for rifle accuracy, with my Dad, while a teen, 7mm mag. and 30-06. Long range hunts. Am just returning to it now as I started shooting .45acp in USPSA this past year. I don't want to think about what WWB cost me for practice and competition in '07, but at least I saved a bunch of the brass to reload.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

Pass time
    Cheaper than store bought
    and yes, mine even though they are lead they are more accurate they store bought

i was cheap. come to think about it i still am.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

I received a hands-on introduction to the wonderful world of handloading several years before I actually began doing it on my own.

1. I can still roll my own for less than the cost of factory.

2. I can tailor my loads for any of my particular firearms to achieve optimum performance.

3. I enjoy it.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links