What made you start handloading?

This is a discussion on What made you start handloading? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; cost was the factor for me at first ,now its still the cost for me ,lol...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What made you start handloading?

cost was the factor for me at first ,now its still the cost for me ,lol

2. Remove Ads

G&G
    I was shooting IDPA with my CZ 75 9mm. I wanted to shoot a 124 gr bullet instead of a 115 which is the most popular load. I bought a Lee Classic Turret Press & Dies after saving brass for a few months. Just having fun.
    Be ready. You can't make an appointment for an emergency.

I know one thing for sure. I'm going to be loading a lot more cast bullets since the escalating price of jacketed bullets has become as ridiculous as the price of gas. For example, Midway was selling 500 Winchester 115 grain JHP bullets for around $42.00 in December. Now they're selling them for $52.00. Heck, I can remember buying them before they rose to $30.00 per 500.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

http://www.tjconevera.com/winchester-bullets.html

Go here for cheap jacketed bullets. Prices INCLUDE shipping.

Quote Originally Posted by Tubby45 View Post
    http://www.tjconevera.com/winchester-bullets.html

Go here for cheap jacketed bullets. Prices INCLUDE shipping.
    Thanks, Tubby.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

$$$ My friend introduced me to reloading at the same time that he introduced me to the 1911 .45acp.

At the time I could load my round for less than $3/box of 50. It's almost double that now, but still half of factory ammo.
    'The assailant chooses the time, location and method of attack.

Since they are unlikely to let you know ahead of time when, where and how violent they're going to be, you should always be prepared.' - matiki

I started at the age of 18 when I traded a shotgun for a custom
    O3A3 chambered for 30 Belted Newton. I've still have that rifle and is still shoots great. I used to use 300 H&H brass to form the Newton brass but I now us 308 Norma Mag. Less hassle and all I have to do is resize it and fire form it. Since then I've picked up dies for 16 other calibers but don't reload as much as I did back in the 1970s and 1980s. I kind of burned out in the 1980s when I was casting and loading ammo for NRA Silhouette. In 1983 I went through 6000 rounds of .357 in 3 months using a Berdon progressive reloader. It's pretty much a tougher version of a Universal progressive machine. I was loading a 168 gr Ray Thompson designed bullet w/gas check with 15.6 gr of 296 and getting 1515 FPS out of my Contender. That still is a sweet shooting rig.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Paid for Reloading and Casting Gear in 1 Year of NRA Bullseye Competition

Money. I was shooting NRA Bullseye matches weekly. I recouped the investment in a press, dies, scale, H&G moulds, lead pot, sizer/lubricator, caliper, micrometer, etc., in less than one year. I have never looked back. Since then I have added a couple of progressive presses and many die sets.
    Last edited by marcclarke; January 22nd, 2012 at 12:59 AM. Reason: Added the lead pot.

NOVA...200 square miles surrounded by reality
    You don't save money reloading people! If your ammo budget was $ 1000 a year your still spending the same amount of money however instead of 50 rounds a range secession I get to shoot 3 times the amount for the same amoun for the same $. In other words you ain't shooting enough if you ain't reloading!

Hello 2G post count!
    “Are you a thermometer or a thermostat, do you reflect or become what is happening in the room or do you change the atmosphere, reset the temperature when you come into the room”?--Chuck Swindoll

Its not about guns...Its about Freedom!

Fear of government.

Cost...or I probably should say "value for cost", Plus the opportunity to learn a science...or at least parts of a science...it's kind of up to me how far I take that aspect of it. Plus the skill to create a functional tool...the opportunity to practice my love for weights and precision measures...and to sit back and smile at a batch that I loaded myself and that I know will work....that's a really good feeling....There are a lot of "reasons" I got back into reloading.
    Never pick a fight with an old man...If he's too old to fight, he'll just kill you - John Steinbeck
    Come to Colorado...the governor is loopy
    .................................................. .................................................. ......................They Live

I was shooting in a pistol league and was spending a lot of money to keep stocked up on ammo, so I started reloading to save money. It soon became apparent to me that I could tailor my loads to a specific purpose and work up some loads that were extremely accurate. Also, reloading is a relaxing experience, almost therapeutic in a way.

Distinguished Member Array Fitch's Avatar
    I reload for fun, cost reduction on high volume practice ammo for 9mmP and .380ACP (I shoot for about 1/3 the price of the cheapest factory ammo), much better accuracy and reduced cost in my varmint rifles (.17Rem, .223, .22-250, .243) and more accuracy combined with cost reduction in my big game rifles (7mm Rem MAG, .30-06Spr). Ammo for a friends 7mmWSM runs more than fifty bux for a box of 20. I showed him how to reload them for less than a buck apiece, use better bullets, and cut his group size in half.

It pays well loading for long range big bore hunting rifles and high volume practice ammo for semi-auto handguns. It's fun for hunting handguns like my .45 Colt RugerBlackhawk.

In addition to which, I enjoy every minute I spend doing it. It's really enjoyable.

Fitch
    “The whole aim of practical politics is to keep the populace alarmed (and hence clamorous to be led to safety), by menacing it with an endless series of hobgoblins, all of them imaginary.” by H. L. Mencken

Insightful thread guys! I learned alot just from readin the replies. With that said can anyone point me in the direction of a good reloader for a beginner? I would like to reload .40, 9mm, .223 &. 556, 7mm mag, 30-30, as well as other hunting calibers.
    Totus vestri castrum es nostrum possessia

VIP Member
    To be able to make custom rounds for high power matches. Since I am set up it is no big deal to run some 45acp or 9MM.
    I enjoy reloading however sometimes I can be a pain, If you have many rounds to make right before a match. No way you could be competitve with ammo out of the box. At least not at 600,800,900 or 1000 yards with a 1/2 moa target.
    I also enjoy making my hunting rounds. (deer). At the end of a batch of ammo it makes me feel like I got something done and I feel satisfied. I guess it could be an "excuse" for a poor showing at a match.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Links