What made you start handloading? - Page 4

What made you start handloading?

This is a discussion on What made you start handloading? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; started with black powder with my grandfather for a rolling block; and as I got older almost always loaded my own. have brass and dies ...

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234
Like Tree1Likes

Thread: What made you start handloading?

started with black powder with my grandfather for a rolling block; and as I got older almost always loaded my own. have brass and dies for every gun I own, and many for guns which i sold years ago.

I run a 300 H&H. If you shoot one of those, you handload.

Sheldon J change the year to 1871 and we are very together.

my 1st 3 calibers werewith the $10 Lee Hand Loader and in 45 lc, 30-30 and 380 for cost and to find the best accuracy; still have them. for 380 it was so i could practice with what i carry and my reasoning mirrors yours. over the years than things found me and i added a turret and than a dillion. when i started teaching re-loading i added lee presses and the Red Machine.
    also a pleasure to relosd for hard to get ammo--Colt Long (or Short) 32 and Vitelle 10.4 come to mind.

last count was 27 different calibers. i thank Brad and my mail lady's strong back
    You plug 'em, I plant 'em
    -----------------
    ...kid can't read at 17 (Garcia/Hunter 1985)
    ----------------
    Lack of preparation on your part does not necessarily constitute an emergency on mine

I started out about 8 years ago as a hobby and cheaper shooting,back then in Salina Ks I could buy cast bullets ,powder,and primers at one place in town.After moving to Texas about 5 years ago I found that the cost of bullets + shipping had increased the price considerably,so I invested in some Lee bullet casting equipment,bottom pour lead pot,and Lee 6 cavity molds but wanted something better.So I invested in a Magma Engineering Cast Master bullet casting machine and bout a mold for every handgun caliber I reload + a Star Lubrisizing machine for sizing and lubing the cast bullets.

I think back then with all the anti 2nd amendment stuff going on I realised that all they had to do was shut down ammo sales and people would have expensive clubs.During the ammo shortage after the last election when people couldn't find ammo to practice with,and reloading supplies like powder and primers were sold out,I shot as much as I wanted due to the fact I had over 24 pounds of pistol powder and around 15 pounds of rifle powder along with about 50,000 primers.I tend to restock powder and primers when they are on sale,and will never run out of ammo as long as I can get a supply of lead.
    My newest purchase about 9 months ago was a set of Corbin dies to turn spent 22 lr brass into 223 bullet tips,I went from paying almost .08 each buying 5000 at a time,to where it costs me almost nothing but my time,and I reload 223 for about $8.00 100 rounds.Almost all my pistol loads cost me about $4.00 hundred except 44 magnum requires more powder so they run me about $6.00 hundred,try finding ammo at that price anywhere.
    "Outside of the killings, Washington has one of the lowest crime rates in the country,"
    --Mayor Marion Barry, Washington , DC .

Quote Originally Posted by claude clay View Post
    Sheldon J change the year to 1871 and we are very together.

my 1st 3 calibers werewith the $10 Lee Hand Loader and in 45 lc, 30-30 and 380 for cost and to find the best accuracy; still have them.
    last count was 27 different calibers. i thank Brad and my mail lady's strong back
    Now I dont feel so bad about loading for 22 different (24 if 38 special 357 and 44 special and mag are separate) . I still have dies for hand loading for my grandfathers guns Anyone have an 8 gauge paradox gun??

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Remove Ads

Sponsored Links