Moly Coating: Your thoughts.

This is a discussion on Moly Coating: Your thoughts. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I have some buddies that moly coat or buy moly-coated bullets. Most of them swear by them but at least one guy switched because it ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Moly Coating: Your thoughts.

VIP Member

I have some buddies that moly coat or buy moly-coated bullets. Most of them swear by them but at least one guy switched because it gunked his gun and had some failures.
    I ain't too crazy about shooting casted bullets basically 'cause I don't like lead build up so I thought moly could be an alternative but not at the cost of the gun's operation. Your thoughts on the issue?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    I tried molying some 7.62s & it really helped with my groups. As to 'gunking'...it sounds like they aren't cleaning their gun often enough....Now is it worth any gain in accuracy?....depends on your use. If you are competing....maybe....if you're hunting....IMHO, probably not.

The only other reason I see to moly is extending barrel life. If you shoot often enough, it may help reduce wear to your barrel.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

never heard of this.
    at a materials engineer i am interested in why you would coat the bullets with moly. i can see coating other things, but the bullets?

dont forget: moly makes your tool harder

I use Hornady Molys in my .223 Rem. 700 VLS. I tried several different bullets and I did notice a small gain in accuracy with these. I've never experienced any problems with them being dirty or "gunking" my barrel. That's my experience anyway.
    Allen

-"I may get killed with my own gun, but he's gonna have to beat me to death with it, 'cause it's going to be empty." -Clint Smith

I have fired some, but the particular loads used were commercial, so to compare the accuracy with others would be apples to oranges.

The reason I'm chiming in though, is becuase I have some moly coated .308 ammo that I purchased about 5 years ago and I'm storing them. They were built by Blach Hills and are very accurate in my rifle. IIRC, they are 168gr match.

Anyway, the moly coating seems to be fading or dissapearing from the bullets. They aren't black like they used to be. Sort of a grey color now, and the coper jacket can actually be seen through the coating now. Don't know why????

So if your loading some for long term storage that might mean something to you.
    When you've got 'em by the balls, their hearts & minds will follow. Semper Fi.

I have used Black Hills Moly coated rounds and LOVE them. I used their .308 Boat tail Match in a couple of different weights and their are just sick! My barrel didn't seem to heat up as fast as with non coated and the groups were well sub-M.O.A. from the bench. I have handloaded some also and again, barrel slow to heat and I wont say how accurate, because I don't have photos of the target and without them no one would believe me.
    Infowars- Proving David Hannum right on a daily basis

I have used the Barnes-X in .264 moly coated. I honestly couldn't tell a difference. It might make sense though that one might see the maximum possible velocity with it though? I've only put around 20 down range so I haven't seen any cleaning issues with it.

If your lead bullets are properly sized to your barrel's groove and you use the appropriate lube you won't have any leading issues. I shoot a lot of lead. I've never had any lead issues whatsoever.

I am not a moly believer. They do look sleek and sexy but that's where my relationship ends.

Here is a link to an interesting and informative article on bullets coated in molybdenum disulfide:

http://www.sprinco.com/articles.html

I've shot them in .38 Spc,.38 Super,.40 S&W , and .45 ACP for a few years. All were MasterBlaster bullets.

I had no problems in either the wheelguns or bottom feeders. I didn't notice anything being dirtier or harder to clean.

I like 'em.
    Dave

Wait til you push them Mach 2.5+.

Distinguished Member Array SonofASniper's Avatar
    I have dealt with them some, and I have heard good and bad from others.

My overall opinion is that they are kind of gimmicky. Results seem to vary among users.
    I will support gun control when you can guarantee all guns are removed from this planet. That includes military and law enforcement. When you can accomplish that, then I will be the last person to lay down my gun. Then I will carry the weapon that replaces the gun.

VIP Member
    Question, do moly coating reduces leading at all?
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

VIP Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    In my case I use it on jacketed bullets (I don't shoot any plain lead)....it does reduce copper fouling.
    Quemadmodum gladius neminem occidit, occidentis telum est.-Seneca

"If you carry a gun, people will call you paranoid. If I have a gun, what do I have to be paranoid about?" -Clint Smith

"An unarmed man can only flee from evil, and evil is not overcome by fleeing from it." -Jeff Cooper

Quote Originally Posted by Miggy View Post
    Somewhat. Leading is caused by lube failure or improper bullet fit.

Senior Moderator
    I've never seen a cast lead moly coated bullet. Every single one had a copper jacket.

I've tried them on my longshooters, .308,.300WinMag and .50 BMG. I noted no apparent difference or advantage in used them.

I beleive that they are slowly going the way of the Dinosaur. Its another idea that looked good in theory, but was less than impressive in actual use.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Links