Bullet question.

Bullet question.

This is a discussion on Bullet question. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I don't reload (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong here. From reading it seems that most prople carry, factory ammo and shoot reloads for practice. ...

Thread: Bullet question.

Bullet question.

I don't reload (yet). Correct me if I'm wrong here. From reading it seems that most prople carry, factory ammo and shoot reloads for practice. If this is so. Do you reload the same type bullet that you carry for self defense? Such as hollow points? I hope this makes sense.

Senior Moderator
    Do you reload the same type bullet that you carry for self defense? Such as hollow points? I hope this makes sense
    Sometimes.

Generally I'll work up a load that shoots to the same point of impact that my high dollar self defense ammo does. That does take some time and effort but its well worth it.

I like to use cast bullets when possible because they are cheap and since I cast them, I have a nearly endless supply.

Thats the trick. Find a load that shoots the same, and then when carrying it shouldnt be a problem...other than the increase in recoil. In reality, if you have to shoot someone, recoil isnt a factor...you wont even remember it. Even so,I make it a point to shoot factory loads occasionaly just to stay sharp. Yes it can be expensive, but the ammo is the cheapeast part of the equation if you ever do have to shoot in self defense.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

I carry factory SWC's in my revolver for self defense. I load SWC's for practice. In .45 ACP it's 230 grain JRN for carry and 230 grain cast lead for most practice.

It's certainly not necessary to practice with the same style bullet. It might be less satisfying to practice with ammuntion that didn't print on target in the same place as one's choice for carry. Bullet weight differences make more of a difference in point of impact than does shape.

Used to carry handloads but bought into the notion of "use factory for carry" when presented in the earliest Texas concealed carry classes in 1995. I've about changed my mind to go back to my old ways of using handloads despite all the hand-wringing by those who express concern over legal ramifications.

VIP Member
    I try to load & duplicate for what I carry in SD loads or as accurate as I can without a chrony. Point of Aim and Point of Impact will differ some with different bullet weights and even the gun feels different so I do it that way. Maybe I am imagining thins and Tubby will come down from the skies and slap me silly, but that is what I do
    You have to make the shot when fire is smoking, people are screaming, dogs are barking, kids are crying and sirens are coming.
    Randy Cain.

Ego will kill you. Leave it at home.
    Signed: Me!

I try to use the same weight bullet and velocity to get a similar point of impact.

Austin

Nope, I use fmj for practice with my autos, and lead rn for my revolvers for practice. I carry jhp in my autos, and don't carry my revolvers, but use jhp, or spj bullets for hunting in them. Most all the revolver loads are hand loads, the carry bullets are so far factory, but that will probably change mid year next year when I have time to develop a round that is comparable to what I have been carrying from the factory, and test it sufficiently.
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

So, the most important factor is, Powder charge, bullet weight? Thanks for the input. Should be a fun new pastime.

I am probably in the vast minority here, but I shoot my handloads exclusively. I shoot practice, IDPA, hunt with, and carry my reloads. I'm not worried about it being used against me. I simply do NOT allow factory ammunition in my guns. There is not a single round in my house (save for rimfire) that is factory loaded. Not one.

Ever had a squib factory round? Ever had a primer seated backwards in a factory round? Bullet tip mashed in a factory round? Cracked brass in a factory round? Round missing powder? Bent rim? Wide spreads over a chrono? I've had them all in factory ammo. They are mass produced. Mistakes can happen. It isn't a perfect world.

Powder recall? Bad batch of primers? Bullets that weigh +/- 10-15gr of each other? You think reloaders are the only ones that see that?

Handloads can be tailored to the specific gun. My carry load for the 10mm groups 8 shots into .85" at 50ft. Factory will never, ever do that. My handloads will do that all day long. Standard deviation is 8fps. All the time.

Here is my loading regimen:

I handload carry loads separate from my blasting ammo. This is my life we are talking about. It deserves the best. It takes me 1 hour to load 25rds of my carry loads. I always start with new brass. I ream the primer pocket depth uniform, deburr the flashhole, inspect every case under magnifying glass for any defects. If I see one, it goes in the "blaster" pile. I weigh each case and use only those that weigh within +/- 1gr. I weigh each bullet and use only those that weigh the same weight. No +/-, the same down to the tenth of a grain.

I seat the primers to the exact same depth. Any deviations get set aside for a new lot. Then I hand weigh each powder charge to the exact tenth of a grain. I take my bullets that are all the exact same weight and visually inspect them for damage. I see any, it gets tossed. I seat the bullets to the same exact depth, with a .001" tolerance. I reset the seating stem on each round and walk it back down til it seats the bullet to my mark. Next round I do the same thing. Back out the stem all the way, walk it back in to the mark. Too deep, gets tossed in the blasting pile.

I set the crimp to bullet diameter plus 2x case thickness. Every round gets crimped to this measurement exactly. Same process as bullet seating. Crimp, back it out, walk it back in. Then it gets carefully placed in the labeled load box after barrel checking each round.

Accuracy is uniformity.

My practice ammo is whatever is cheap and accurate. I shoot lead for practice and carry jacketed for defense.
    Last edited by Tubby45; December 20th, 2007 at 12:42 PM.

Senior Moderator
    Hey...I didnt see any mention of trimming each case to exact lenth.
    If you dont do that, and you dont taper crimp where the length isnt as critical, then you arent getting exact uniformity.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

OAL is measured from case head to meplat. The case length does not have anything to do with OAL in this instance. It only matters if you are crimping into a cannelure, which I'm not. I have not found any difference in performance from those trimmed to length and those not, so I don't do it.

The only pistol brass I ever trim is .357 Magnum and that I don't carry for protection. That is hunting and blasting out of a 4" GP100. I get the same ballistics and higher capacity with my 4" 10mm 1911.

Senior Moderator
    If your cases arent the same length, then usig a standard roll crimp will result in varied amounts of tension on your crimps...and that does affect accuracy.The beauty of a taper crimp is that the variation in case lengths becomes less critical. Even with the higly touted Lee Factory Crimp, it is an issue.

I dont do it for pistol because at pistol ranges there is not much point in it. I know some that compete that do.At the ranges that I shoot some of my rifles, using a 9 inch gong at 600 and 1000 yards, an inconsistent crimp is the difference between a hit ot a miss.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

New to reloading myself, but have heard the argument here about defense lawyers having a field day with premeditation by handloading issues. Carry factory ball for daily carry, and will be loading up a bunch of 200gr plated SWC for USPSA. Headed toward working up a load for both practice and competition. I can get Berrys plated pretty cheap here locally, about 72$ a thousand for the above .45 round, compared to paying shipping from elsewhere.
    NRA, USPSA SS & Lim-10
    Blessed are they who, faced with danger, think only of the front sight. J. Cooper

As I am new to reloading I reload the same size as I carry. This way the gun is going to respond closer to the regular carry ammo.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    If your cases arent the same length, then usig a standard roll crimp will result in varied amounts of tension on your crimps...and that does affect accuracy.The beauty of a taper crimp is that the variation in case lengths becomes less critical. Even with the higly touted Lee Factory Crimp, it is an issue.
    I use a taper crimp as I only carry pistol cartridges for defense and not revolver cartridges. I run the FCD on everything.

It may vary with some guns, but not with my carry guns.

Sponsored Links