Reloading Log Book

This is a discussion on Reloading Log Book within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was just wondering how many people keep a log book of their reloads? If so, I am wondering what they look like, what fields ...

Thread: Reloading Log Book

Reloading Log Book

I was just wondering how many people keep a log book of their reloads? If so, I am wondering what they look like, what fields you have to fill in.

I once attempted it, but couldn't come up with a good system.
    "Gun Free Zones" is where only criminals carry guns.

2. Remove Ads

Date, Caliber, primer make & type, powder type & charge, bullet mfg ,weight, style, overall length, and counts of rounds loaded

Also use the same notebook to log use of the ammo and general comments, good or bad.

Assistant Administrator
    I keep notes - but not really deserving of ''log-book''

I have always kept an easy to find note of my fave loads - ones I use repeatedly. When developing a load tho I just start a fresh page and write down the details... just a small notebook. Doesn't take long tho to go back and find info - plus it helps to add a tab of 3M tape on a page with a written hint as to content.

Using auto-disk system on my Lee stuff and having loadsa spare disks, I write on a particular disk and opening, a common load. Later just put it in place and drop a test or three - and off we go.

Some folks are very organized and keep Excel spread-sheets. Don't think it matters, as long as you do keep notes in some form.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I have a notebook with information in it. Namely: date, cartridge, components, measurements, etc. After a range session with that load I go back and write in performance notes, accuracy, recoil, pressure sign, etc.

Senior Moderator
    I made my own and pit it in a binder.

Along with other instructions mentioned I'll also put the frearm that the ammo was specifically loaded for.

As many guns as I've got, I can just go to caliber and see the data for my favorite load for that gun. That way, 10 years from now, I can go duplicate that load. In the notes section I'll put what the load was for...such as shooting steel plates,paper pnchers, hunting, long range shooting, etc.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Senior Member Array blueyedevil's Avatar
    I just use the cheap comp-notebooks, Just write down the components, gun and notes and leave it on my bench.

I've been thinking of it, but right now I'm just writing down all of my info on the outside of each bag of ammo - date, bullet weight, primer, powder type and weight.
    Be Observant and Be Safe.

Current: S&W 442, Springfield XD9sc, XDm9, and Glock G26, G19, G23C,
    and SIG P226-40 TT, and Ruger GP-100, and Beretta 92FS
    Former: Taurus 92SS, SIG P220 TT, S&W 360, SIG P239-40, Ruger 22/45 MKII

Mine consists of a spiral notebook. I only reload for rifle for now. I have sectioned the notebook into caliber specific sections. Each caliber section has one page for each different bullet weight/type/manufacturer. Then list the case used--(Lapua, Rem, used, etc...). Then list the primer selected, (Rem, CCI, Win, etc...). On the specific page, I will note the maximum OAL, and the OAL I use for that particular rifle. My bullets are seated .002 to .006 off the lands accordingly through accuracy testing. Then I will list all the compatible powders I have (6 different IMR, and 1 Hodgdon) that are applicable to the load on different lines. I will then translate or calculate how many cc's I will use, and list that all on the same line. I'll usually load 10-20 rounds of each particular powder, then test them at the range at 100yds. Results of each loading are then listed on the same page at the bottom, then further identified as Very Good, good, try different seating depth/primer, or poor. The poor performers are then scratched off the list for future attempts and the very good performers usually get a red star in magic marker beside the load data.

i keep notes in a cheap note book. I keep a log of my chronograph runs in the same book. i try to find a good load for each of my guns, then i stay with it.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

Quote Originally Posted by DMan View Post
    I was just wondering how many people keep a log book of their reloads? If so, I am wondering what they look like, what fields you have to fill in.

I once attempted it, but couldn't come up with a good system.
    I put down FPS and in what barrel length, OAL, bullet weight & what type & name brand. Powder name and weight. For my pistols, I log the power factor.One more, date of the load, you could need that down the road. Good luck. PS I'am sure I left some thing out.

I keep a log for many reasons. Date, amount, caliber, powder, primer, times fired amount, bullet, speed and ballistic coefficient. Have keep this 1993.

I've kept record of every round I've loaded, and every centerfire handgun and rifle round I've fired since 1993.
    And Jesus said, "If you don't have a sword, sell your cloak and buy one." (Luke 22:36)

I am a peaceful man. But I am not a pacifist.

Links