reloading +p

reloading +p

This is a discussion on reloading +p within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; i would like some info on how to reload "+p" ammo. im assuming there is a difference between using near the maximum load for a ...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: reloading +p

reloading +p

i would like some info on how to reload "+p" ammo.
    im assuming there is a difference between using near the maximum load for a given powder/bullet.
    need to use a special faster burning powder? (which?)
    need to use the special coated +p rated brass? (from what was originally store bought +p?)
    is there reloading data specifically for +p loads? where? i haven't seen them (but haven't really looked either)

im wondering cuz i have a bunch of brass from +p ammo. i wouldnt mind getting some hollow point bullets and making some rounds similar to what i carry. not to carry it, but simply to blow up watermelons and such

thanks!

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    DONT load " +P " Load only according to your manuals and within sammi spec . Do not in any fashion play with pressure beyond what is in load manuals , it is unsafe and will eventually lead to weapon self destruction , hopefully without injury .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Quote Originally Posted by Redneck Repairs View Post
    DONT load " +P " Load only according to your manuals and within sammi spec . Do not in any fashion play with pressure beyond what is in load manuals , it is unsafe and will eventually lead to weapon self destruction , hopefully without injury .
    Good call! I am new to reloading myself, and the way I see it it my life and limbs are worth more than the cost of factory loaded +P rounds. I only reload to what is published in the "Lee reloading manual" myself. While it may be OK if you have the right published data, I would still not do it. If something happens this is just more fuel for the anti's to use in their crusade against firearms.
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Lead Moderator
    AS RR said, load only according to tables published. Also HP's will do a fine job gutting fruits at normal velocities/loads.
    "In matters of style, swim with the current; in matters of principle, stand like a rock." Thomas Jefferson

Nemo Me Impune Lacesset

For a +P load you are probably going to be using a slower burning powder. The powder burn rate concept is very interesting...basically, a slower burn has a stronger "push", while a faster burn is a "slap". That's breaking it down Barney style - naturally its a lot more sciency and smart in reality, but that's how I explain it. There will be specific loads - for instance, in your reloading manual, you may have an entire section on 9mm. There may be another section a page or two later on 9mm +P.

At a quick glance I didn't see any 9mm +P data online.

If it was me, I'd take the lightest bullet and slowest burning powder that I had data for, and work up to the max load - watch for all the signs that something is horribly wrong. Chrono the load and see what you've got.

9mm +P brass will be thicker to help withstand the higher pressures. Use this brass for working up max loads. If I had my books (Hornady and Speer) handy I'd check to see if there was any +P data in there....maybe later today.

Austin

VIP Member Array Redneck Repairs's Avatar
    9mm +P brass will be thicker to help withstand the higher pressures.
    I dont know where you are finding this " thicker " 9mm brass , but in the ones i have sectioned the only micable difference is the headstamp , the brass seems to me to be the same .
    Make sure you get full value out of today , Do something worthwhile, because what you do today will cost you one day off the rest of your life .
    We only begin to understand folks after we stop and think .

Criminals are looking for victims, not opponents.

Assistant Administrator
    I always used to get +P once fired empties from a cop shooting range - treat them just as regular .38 spl cases and don't go for higher pressure rounds just because of case markings.

I have loaded these cases for hotter loads but for use in a .357 rated gun - but I won't publish any data. Stick to std - way to go.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

thanks for the info so far.
    dont worry, im not going to be just throwing more powder in than what a reloading manual says.
    just wondering what they use when they make factory +p loads, and how i could do the same.

Assistant Administrator
    just wondering what they use when they make factory +p loads
    Judging by lack of data in manuals this seems somewhat of an ''alchemist'' deal They will load and sell +P but not seemingly release data ... CYA I expect
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

My favorite general purpose .38 Special load has been promoted from middle-of-the-road to over-load within the past 30 something years I've been using it (by the tens of thousands) by the simple watering down of the loading manuals. At some point one has to ask himself whether or not he's going to continually reduce perfectly good loads each time the latest manual is published.

You need it for 45 or 9mm? Hodgdon has data for 45 +P. I'll look around for 9mm+P.

Here's some for 9mm +P:

http://www.realguns.com/loads/9mm.htm

Quote Originally Posted by bmcgilvray View Post
    My favorite general purpose .38 Special load has been promoted from middle-of-the-road to over-load within the past 30 something years I've been using it (by the tens of thousands) by the simple watering down of the loading manuals. At some point one has to ask himself whether or not he's going to continually reduce perfectly good loads each time the latest manual is published.
    plus one on that. i have seen the same thing over the years. some of my best reloading manuals are the ones from the 1970's. yes i still load most of my loads with the older data. yes i do take a look at new data to compare.
    An armed man is a citizen. An unarmed man is a subject.

Red State State of Mind

thanks again tubby45
    as usual, you have the exact answer i was looking for
    (and its for both .45 and 9mm)

No problem. Also use +P brass with +P data. They have a thicker web portion to stand up to the increase in pressure.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Sponsored Links