Reloading Question - Lead bullets/Gas Checks

This is a discussion on Reloading Question - Lead bullets/Gas Checks within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I was wondering if there was a company that would cast you lead bullets in 30-30 that would let you put gas checks on the ...

Thread: Reloading Question - Lead bullets/Gas Checks

Reloading Question - Lead bullets/Gas Checks

I was wondering if there was a company that would cast you lead bullets in 30-30 that would let you put gas checks on the bullets?

Everywhere I have seen have bare lead (no gas checks). i am wanting to reload for me 30-30, but for plinking and maybe hog hunting I want a lead bullet. Something that will not cost the price of the jacketed bullet. I just need to be able to put gas checks on them to get it to the velocity I want without leading.

Can anyone help?

Thanks,
    jeremy

2. Remove Ads

Senior Moderator
    Lead bullets that don't go much faster than around 1100 FPS don't really need gas checks.

That being said, most rifle loads are fast enough that gas checks are needed to keep the barrel from leading up. The hot gasses act on the base of the bullet and melt the lead, which results in smearing in the barrel. Gas checks prevent this and also give the gas a better seal, thus the term gas check.

Gas checks are applied with a Lubrisizer. When bullets are cast, you place the gas check under the base of the bullet and the lever is pulled downward, it sizes the bullet, fills the lube groove with lubrication and crimps the gas check on all at the same time.

Be advised though, the bullet molds are either gas checked design or not. If the bullet doesn't have a gas check groove, you wont be able to put a gas check on it. It must be designed for a gas check.

My pistols molds have no checks. My rifle bullet molds do, because of the speeds achieved with the rifle.

Got it ?
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Assistant Administrator
    The two moulds I use for rifle casting are for doing .308's and .303's (.314) ....... only Lee moulds but adequate and they have a gas check relief at base.

HG is spot on re their benefits at higher velocities - not only do they protect bullet base from softening but - just MO - they also ''scour'' slightly as they engrave the rifling. My rifle loads with cast are around the 1,950 - 2,000 fps region.

I use gas check Lymans for my 158 SWC .357 mag loads and have a mold as yet not used for doing some gas check bullets for top load 44 mags.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

Quote Originally Posted by HotGuns View Post
    Lead bullets that don't go much faster than around 1100 FPS don't really need gas checks.

That being said, most rifle loads are fast enough that gas checks are needed to keep the barrel from leading up. The hot gasses act on the base of the bullet and melt the lead, which results in smearing in the barrel. Gas checks prevent this and also give the gas a better seal, thus the term gas check.

Gas checks are applied with a Lubrisizer. When bullets are cast, you place the gas check under the base of the bullet and the lever is pulled downward, it sizes the bullet, fills the lube groove with lubrication and crimps the gas check on all at the same time.

Be advised though, the bullet molds are either gas checked design or not. If the bullet doesn't have a gas check groove, you wont be able to put a gas check on it. It must be designed for a gas check.

My pistols molds have no checks. My rifle bullet molds do, because of the speeds achieved with the rifle.

Got it ?
    I got it.
    Most places that sell cast lead do not put the step on the base to allow you to add checks (base on what an online retailer told me). They said I could not put checks on their bullets. So I assume that you have to use a mold that puts the step on the bullet.

I was wondering if I could find a caster that could sell bulk bullets that would allow me to add the checks on my press. I found a place that sells lead w/checks for $142/1000, but that seems really high.

I know that it is probably labor intensive. Being that it is a one at a time deal. I guess I am going to have to buy some molds and get to pouring.

Thanks for the help.

Senior Moderator
    Most places that sell cast lead do not put the step on the base to allow you to add checks.
    Most places sell pistol bullets so unless you are really pushing them hard they shouldnt need it.

Rifle bullets though might need them. You can get them either way. I just poured over 500 158's .357s last weekend. If you do it like that, you wont have to mess with them for awhile. I use the Lee 6 bangers. That knocks them out in a hurry.
    The further a society drifts from the truth, the more it will hate those that speak it...- George Orwell

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

So you think a 165 at 1300ft/s is a good hog load, HG? That is around 620 fpe out of the muzzle.

Senior Moderator
    I think it'll work.
    I personally like the heavier bullets for hogs.

Is this for the .30-30? If it is, Id push it a bit faster. Thats pretty mild for a .30-30.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL

I don't have a mold for the 30-30 but if you provide me with a design that is readily available I can buy a mold, cast a bunch and leave the gas checks off. I'll size them and lube them but you can buy the gas checks and put them on yourself.

I run a cast bullet business. The price will depend largely on how many cavities the mold has. The more cavities the less time it takes to cast. Worst case scenario, my price will be half of that price you gave above, plus $9 shipping or $12 with shipping and insurance.

Let me know what design you need and I can sell you the bullets without gas checks. Go to a site like MidwayUSA and post a link of the exact design you are looking at. And yes I have an ammunition manufacturer's FFL.

Adam
    Freakshow Bullets

ETA: I will sell you 30-30 bullets WITH gas checks for $70 per thousand, plus shipping of $9 straight up or $12 with insurance. Let me know and I can get the mold ordered. Turn around time will be about a week to week and a half.

Tubby45, Thanks. I will send you a PM with the info.

Thanks, HG for the insight.

Links