One example of cost savings.

This is a discussion on One example of cost savings. within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; This is my cost for loading 45 Auto with home cast lead bullets and using brass picked up off the range (for free). This is ...

Thread: One example of cost savings.

One example of cost savings.

This is my cost for loading 45 Auto with home cast lead bullets and using brass picked up off the range (for free). This is a way to maximize your savings. For 1000 rounds of 45 Auto it cost me just over $40. I pay 15/lb for lead and there is about 32.86 pounds of lead (for 230gr bullets) so the 1000 bullets cost me just under $5.

I would attach the "program" to my post but I can't upload .xls files. Send me a PM with your email address in it and I can email you a copy. I didn't make it, a guy over at GT did and let us use it for free. Very easy to use. The numbers outside the boxes on the upper left side are "example" numbers.

Tubby45

2. Remove Ads

sounds interesting. I reload .45 ACP also. I can get all the lead I want for free, but I was told that I can not shoot "Soft" lead in a gun. They had to be tumbled with some sort of coating to keep the lead from sticking to the barrel. If I could shoot my own lead cast bullets I could even save more. Right now I am looking at:
    WalMart=30.00 per 100 @ 230 grain FMJ
    reload with 230 grain hard lead bullets = 7.00 per 100
    Think twice
    Buy once!

Assistant Administrator
    Good stuff

I guess I have gotten to the stage these days where I know I am saving and so don't go into the finer points of how much - but it is interesting to achieve this sorta breakdown.

Might well consider a copy of this tho ........ very handy to have around.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

PM me your email address and I'll send you a copy of the ZIP file.

User Name, using wheel weights is a good alloy for most applications. I shoot mostly WW alloy but experiment with other types. Lead bullets need lubrication. Pick up a copy of ABC's of Reloading. They have good info on lead bullets and casting, etc. Also visit www.lasc.us. The best source for bullet casting information on the web. Period.

Good info. PM sent.
    Les Baer 45
    Sig Man
    N.R.A. Patron Life Member
    M.C.R.G.O.

Sent.

Don't you mean a 100 rounds cost you less than 5.00 dollars.

Yes 100 rounds cost me less than $5. Actual cost is $4.06.

Tubby, your really starting to **** me off you know. To think about all the money I have spent reloading and spending more than I needed to for the stuff, and thinking of all the guns I could have bought with that money. Darn it man, stop it already.

I guess this next year,(wait it is next year already) along with starting to reload rifles, I am going to have to start casting my own lead. Your not leaving me much time for my other hobbies. When my Jeep time starts to suffer, we are going to have to have a sit down. LOL.

BTW, where is that zip file going to be located?
    Just remember that shot placement is much more important with what you carry than how big a bang you get with each trigger pull.
    www.ddchl.com
    Texas CHL Instructor
    Texas Hunter Education Instructor
    NRA Instructor

Can't upload .xls or .zip files. Email me at adam@freakshowbullets.com. I will also have it on my website when I launch it next weekend. Very excited.

Oh, look. I shoot cast bullets out of the 375 H&H Magnum and it only costs me 10/rd!! $100 for 1000 rounds of Holland's finest.

Here is the bullet for the Holland. Cost me .675. That is less than 7/10ths of a penny!! Ain't she purdy?

Administrator
    I am not a reloader but I have done quite a bit of metal casting in my past and if you do have a cheap source of supply for pure Lead you can easily alloy it yourself to make a final metal that will cast harder.
    Liberty Over Tyranny Μολὼν λαβέ

I run a bullet casting company. I buy scrap lead for 15/lb. I also go to tire shops and get wheel weights for free. Up here they have to pay to get rid of them and are happy to get rid of them to me for free. I usually bring in a 12pack of beer though.

I have pure lead, wheel weights, linotype, and monotype. I'm getting a huge order for tin. That stuff is expensive. $5/lb.

Friesepferd, stay away from Calumet/Laurium area and I'll stay out of Houghton/Hancock. You and Dan can scavange in the city, just leave my area alone for lead and WWs.

Links