Scratched die from tumbled cases?

Scratched die from tumbled cases?

This is a discussion on Scratched die from tumbled cases? within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; Anyone have any experience with resizing dies becoming scratched from resizing cases after they were tumble cleaned in Lyman corncob media? Recently got a tumble ...

Thread: Scratched die from tumbled cases?

Unhappy Scratched die from tumbled cases?

Anyone have any experience with resizing dies becoming scratched from resizing cases after they were tumble cleaned in Lyman corncob media?

Recently got a tumble cleaner and cleaned some 45ACP. Then proceeded to resize without wiping off the cases. Noted several surface scratches on the resized cases running along the long axis as well as scratches in the die itself. I checked some cases that were loaded just prior to getting the tumbler and they were scratchless. I can only conclude that the scratches were due to a residue from the tumbling but I could find nothing that indicated that post-tumbler cleaning is required before resizing. The resizing die is steel, not carbide.

Any thoughts as to whether the scratched cases are still serviceable?

Any thoughts on how to remove scratches from die?

if its a carbide die it shouldn't scratch if its a normal die sure it will scratch them

are you saying that there is corncob residual that is scatching a steel die?

if so, what is the proper way of cleaning the tumble cleaned brass before resizing?

maybe the corn cob maybe the other crud from tumbling .. wipe the cases off or compressed air .. you might be able to polish out the scratches carefully but you might knock the die out of spec depending on how deep they are

clean out the die and clean off the cases before you resize them.
    still a scratch? if so go get some new carbide ones.
    Wo die Notwehr aufhört, fängt der Mord an
    (Murder begins where self-defense ends)
    Georg Büchner

Assistant Administrator
    Bud's right - tungstens shouldn't scratch - but anyways - imo unless you want total flawlessness on cases I'd not be worried about odd sctaches.

Also of course if dies are ''plain'' (steel as you say) and not tungsten then cases really need lubed - dry sizing could add to scratch effect. As for ''serviceability'' of cases - no problem I can see because can't see scratching being other than very superficial.
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

+1 I wouldn't worry. Chances of corn cob scratching steel are pretty slim IMO. I think you probably just need to clean your dies and lube your cases as mentioned.

Austin

I agree. Clean the die (I do every 1K rounds). Steel is a lot harder than corn cob. I'm sure it wasn't the corn cob that scratched the dies.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

Senior Moderator
    Dies are more lilkely to scratch from uncleaned cases that have carbon residue on them. Carbon is a by product of combustion and it is very abrasive.

If you have ever run some untumbled cases though your dies it may have scratched them. The thing is, it may not be noticable until you run some cleaned cases through them, then you can easily see it. In the big scheme of things, the scratches are just cosmetic, most being less than a thousandth of an inch in depth.

I am a big beleiver in carbide dies for that reason and the fact that you dont need lube...unless its for rifle rounds. The carbide is very hard stuff...much less likely to scratch.

You can take a cotton swab of the right size, and dip it in polishing compound and use it with a drill motor. You wont take of much, but it can clean them up. Keep in mind though that polishing compound is also abrasive, and the die must be washed out to remove all traces of it before using.

Just do it enough to clean up...no more. While it would take awhile even for a monkey to oversize your dies, I have heard of ut happening. You just have to be smarter than the die.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Smile

Thanks all for the comments. Finally got around to playing with the die and removed the scratches using a 7/16 dowel and 320 grit emory paper.

I agree that carbide is best but the die have been with me for 40 years - Herter's of Waseca,MN and I hate to retire the old soldier. Probably will eventually go carbide but for now the 'ol girl is back in action.

Thanks again

Senior Moderator
    320 ? ! OUCH...

Thats a bit rough there ti 3237...

Polishing compound is more like a 12-1500 grit. The reason you use a cotton swap is so that it wont bear into the die and cause an out of round condition.

Youve got to be careful with that stuff.
    I would rather stand against the cannons of the wicked than against the prayers of the righteous.

AR. CHL Instr. 07/02 FFL
    Like custom guns and stuff? Check this out...
    http://bobbailey1959.wordpress.com/

Sponsored Links