Defensive Carry banner

Powder/Bullet type question...

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  shooterwolf 
#1 ·
Hi all,

Just getting into reloading and I am getting a little confused so here I go.

Been researching how I will load 40S&W with 180gr copper plated bullets but I cant find anything for TITEGROUP with plated bullets. They list that powder with 180gr XTP bullets on the Hogdon website and in my Lee Modern Reloading Manual. They also list a variety of other powders but not TITEGROUP for plated bullets in the same manual.

My first question is can I use TITEGROUP safely with plated bullets using the load data for the XTP bullet both being 180gr???

I have been doing alot of reading in my Lee manual and have not come across an answer for this yet. I do understand that there is an effect with fast/slow burning powders in relation to the bullets "Hardness".

My second question is are the plated bullets be too "Soft" to compare to the XTP's the load data is listed for??? Thanks in advance.

#2 ·
I've been using the FMJ Data for my rainiers and I have not had any problems. Then again I don't go near the max loads

#4 ·
There is data for Rainier bullets - not sure off the top of my head - maybe Vihtavuori (sp?) has it. Jacketed bullets create higher pressures (more friction) than lead - plated bullets are basically lead bullets. IIRC Rainier says to use lead bullet data for their bullets. I would feel safe using jacketed data with plated bullets - just keep an eye on velocity and pressure signs as you work up the loads.

Austin

#5 ·
Can you use plated bullets in poly rifled barrels?

#7 ·
Can you use plated bullets in poly rifled barrels?
I wouldn't treat them as other than lead bullets .. it's all down IMO to obturation or lack of it and bullet deformation abilities within the polygonal pattern rifling.

Best is to get an after market regular rifled barrel to use to allow safe use of lead bullets - keep poly for jackets only.

#10 ·
Plated is perfectly fine for poly barrels as there is no exposed lead to build up. The copper plating is hard enough to protect the lead core from coming in contact with the bore itself.

Naked lead bullets are the caution, but plated or jacketed lead is a nonissue since the plating or jacket protects the lead from contacting the bore. In essence, if you can shoot jacketed, you can shoot lead. FWIW, Speer Gold Dot bullets are plated bullets. They are not jacketed.:yup:

#12 ·
plated or jacketed lead is a nonissue since the plating or jacket protects the lead from contacting the bore. In essence, if you can shoot jacketed, you can shoot lead. FWIW, Speer Gold Dot bullets are plated bullets. They are not jacketed
Coupla points Adam ........ I had thought Raniers were only ''copper washed'' - which would mean the most minimal of copper deposition? I guess I'd need to use them and recover a fired result to see that engraving did not make it thru the copper layer.

Re Gold Dots ..... plated? I had not realized that but am confused as when looking at test bullets ... see the left example in the pic ... there appears to be actual copper showing at the end of one ''petal''. Not trying to pick holes but somehow can't see these as only plated.

#13 ·
Copper washing is another term for plating. You submerse the lead core into a copper bath and charge it with electricity which forces the copper to adhere to the lead core.

The Gold Dot bullet's jacket is a jacket formed by plating over a core. The bullet core is seated into this jacket in the same manner as any other jacketed bullet, however it is still plated. Because it has a core seated in a jacket, ATK (who owns Speer) calls this a jacketed bullet, but technically speaking it is a plated bullet. The jacket is made by the process of plating and the core is seated in this jacket.

ETA: I've run Rainier plated up to 1450fps from my 10mm and there was no issues. Rainier recommends velocities less than 1200fps.

#14 ·
Gotcha now - I should have tried a scratch test which will usually show plating for what it is. I can see a good saving on not using full thickness pure copper - so what we have is what I think of as a ''guilding'' ....... just the external surface.

Quite a contrast compared with Barne's all solids - they are machined from solid ... spendy, but seemingly very effective.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.