Hot .45LCs in my Bisley 5.5"

This is a discussion on Hot .45LCs in my Bisley 5.5" within the Reloading forums, part of the Defensive Ammunition & Ballistics category; I made up some handloads a few months ago and it took me until today to go out and shoot them. I'd been to the ...

Thread: Hot .45LCs in my Bisley 5.5"

Hot .45LCs in my Bisley 5.5"

I made up some handloads a few months ago and it took me until today to go out and shoot them. I'd been to the range a few times, but never a chrono friendly range, and I only made a few since I'm still working up this load so I didn't want to waste them. Please do not shoot these loads in anything but a modern Ruger or T/C if you want to keep your hands and/or face.

360 grain WFNGC from Cast Performance Bullets
    Hornady .45 LC brass
    Winchester LP primers
    H110

Now here's some velocities:
    With 18.0 grains-

At this point I was thinking: "My wrist hurts. These velocities are all over the place. Maybe I should have used a different primer." There were no signs of excess pressure at all. Cases came out clean, primers weren't even close to flat.

With 19.0 grains-

Now I was thinking "Yeah, probably some CCI Magnum primers will help with ignition. Maybe I'll try these loads with Lil'Gun..." Cases still came out clean, primers looked dandy.

With 20.0 grains-

Sweet! That's more like it. I was shooting at about 50 yards, and the other groups were fine - maybe 3-5" or so (I didn't measure) but this group was maybe 1-1/2" - they were all overlapping and in a rainbow like arc. This was with iron sights, so I was quite pleased with myself and the gun, and the load! (I was shooting off a bag of rice - I'm not that good).

Next time I'll take some at 19.5 and 20.5 and see what it'll do. I'm working up these loads for an all purpose woods walking load - should work well for anything from field mice to elephants.

Austin

2. Remove Ads

Assistant Administrator
    Heck - that's a heavy bullet

Most book loads for .45 LC .. say with a 225 grain or so only list as about 750 fps or so - regular loads! Those last figures suggest about 950 ft lbs - which is around bottom end of .454... but OK - we are talkin Ruger here.

Well 23.5 H-110 under a 300 grain seems to show 1100 fps as a max hot load in Speer #13 ... so maybe you are OK but I can imagine the recoil is .. ''brisk''

I have some LilGun but not tried it yet - but am thinking it is a faster burner than the H-110 .......and haven't looked up any loads for it either. Your ''all purpose'' loads sound distinctly ''useful purpose"
    Chris - P95
    NRA Certified Instructor & NRA Life Member.

"To own a gun and assume that you are armed
    is like owning a piano and assuming that you are a musician!."

http://www.rkba-2a.com/ - a portal for 2A links, articles and some videos.

I think Lil'Gun is just slightly slower than H110. I got the data from Hodgdon - they go up to 21 grains with H110 but have it at around 1150 fps or so. Awesome potential to destroy with this load. Seriously could shoot through an engine block with this thing! The meplat on this thing is .390 - it feels good loading them in the cylinders - the want to go in. Its like they jump into the gun.

My wrist isn't swollen or anything - the first cylinder woke me up a bit, but by the last one I was enjoying it. I need to smooth a couple rough spots on my grips though - the gun jumped up and came down on my support hand and I got a little scratch. Chalk it up with the rest of the battle scars....Oh well they're factory grips - I've contemplated getting some snazzy black micarta ones...

Austin

I see LilGun slowly replacing the standby H110/W296 loads for magnum loads, specifically in the 357 and 44 mags, with seeing more and more loads ing the Ruger 45 Colt guns.
    07/02 FFL/SOT since 2006

H110 did a great job - I've still got some and I may make up a whole slew of these using it if I can fine tune the velocity/accuracy a bit. I'm making these with the old fashioned Lee Loader/plastic mallet type deal - with the benefit of my digital scale.

I think Lil'Gun's main benefit is that it (supposedly) works more consistently at slightly lower pressures, where the H110 has to be run full steam to work right. I don't know how true that is from personal experience, but that's what I've read. I've loaded some thumper 320s for my .44 using Lil'Gun, and they work fine...might need to tone them down a bit - that's when I'll see if the stuff works like "they" say it does.

Anyhow, its fun to experiment a bit - especially when it turns out good. Like 1125 fps with a 360 grain .452 from a 5.5" barrel...

Austin

Some loading manuals used to caution the user of H110 not to go beneath the listed starting load. It is a powder that seems to want to go full out.

Those are potent and interesting loads. I sorta like reading about load experimentation in stout guns. Balances all the dishwater in modern loading manuals. I'd think it was a hoot to touch off a few of those but wouldn't want to make a habit of it.

Hodgdon had 18.0 as the minimum load (1012fps)...maybe it should be higher. With Lil'gun it starts at 15.5 (984fps) and goes up to 18.0 (1131fps) which is at 29,700 CUP. 21.0 grains of H110 they have at 1151fps and 28,300CUP. I guess they used a 4 inch barrel, because my 5.5" is smoking those loads already. I definitely need to round off a few rough edges on my grips, but they really aren't that bad to shoot. I've felt a lot worse from my .44 Mag - these were a little much for casual shooting from the bench, but I imagine standing up they'd be just good times, no bruises.
    I told my wife with the .357 Mag you want to hold it tight so it doesn't slap your hand, but with these things you want to hold it tight so it doesn't whack you in the head. Definitely a different kind of recoil with these thumpers.

Austin

Today I was messing around with the 45/70 Sharps and when I got done I thought I'd try to splash my gongs at 100 and 262 yards with my Redhawk .45 Colt and Holosight. I've got it loaded with 300 gr JHP and 20.3 grs of 296 for around 1125 FPS. I rang the gong with no problems at 100 yards and my wife was watching with the binoculars when I tried the 262 yard gong. I'd done some figuring at JBM - Calculations - Trajectory to see how much hold over I would need at it came to 72 inches. The first shot rang the gong like I knew what I was doing. Sure brought back some memories of NRA Silhouette shooting 25 years ago. I found some 7/8 inch steel 2 foot round circles the other day at the scrap dealer and think I'm going to pick up a bunch more of them. They make a satisfying sound when you hit them and aught to survive much better then the 3/8 mild steel. My .223 punches .40 caliber holes though the 3/8" stuff like it's a shaped charge. For real hot loads Corbon makes a 300 JSP that comes out of my Redhawk at 1317 FPS. It's a visious round that kicks like a mule.
    Life member NRA since 1983
    I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry II in a Crossbreed SuperTuck. My wife carries a Walther PPS .40 w/Crossbreed holster.

Links